What's this please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White milk, to go with Browntea??

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.:icon_204-2:

It's the Milky Bar kid come to town.. freshly laundered.

I saw an unusual bee like insect on a campanula flower. thought it was a honey bee, but on closer inspection it wasn't, its movements were more jerky, and had a high pitched whine. Its method of collecting pollen was interesting, it grasped the stamens of the flower with its legs and did a flip so that it was standing on its head with its abdomen sticking up in the air. Very strange, its underside looked like it had pollen sticking on it, furry greenish colour. Is there such an insect that collects pollen onto its abdomen?

"Is there such an insect that collects pollen onto its abdomen?"

plenty of the solitary bees. any that have slightly flattened undersides.

It's a chameleon and its blended in with the background nicely lol

I saw an unusual bee like insect on a campanula flower. thought it was a honey bee, but on closer inspection it wasn't, its movements were more jerky, and had a high pitched whine. Its method of collecting pollen was interesting, it grasped the stamens of the flower with its legs and did a flip so that it was standing on its head with its abdomen sticking up in the air. Very strange, its underside looked like it had pollen sticking on it, furry greenish colour. Is there such an insect that collects pollen onto its abdomen?

There is this, (in my garden), but it isn't pollen.

There is this, (in my garden), but it isn't pollen.

Yes, just like that, although the bee had dark markings on top of the abdomen. If it isn't pollen what is it?

Back