What's for Christmas lunch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bambi and chips.....well top leg of venison (red deer) cooked with wild boar sausage both acquired through the family, roast pots and root vet with a nice red current sauce ..one day i will try his lama steaks but the goat like smell puts me off

We always used to have a Capon...... Big Chicken... and lots of Aquavit !!
Unfortunately capon not allowed anymore (it was actually a castrated cockerell - helps growth) mind you, it was a hell of a job doing it as a chicken's knacker is about the size of a small peanut!!:eek:

Goose for me for the first time this year.

Any tips on killing, plucking and cooking would be much appreciated :rolleyes:

Delegate to the distaff side. I always feel that it is a kindness to the current Lady DD to allow her to get involved in this sort of preparation - makes her feel (even more) useful!

"I always feel that it is a kindness to the current Lady DD to allow her to get involved in this sort of preparation - makes her feel (even more) useful!"

and will give her a change from the months of intense Kirsty Allsop style handcrafting of xmas cards and gifts for all and sundry!!!!!

How thoughtful of you.

Tips in order:-
Killing: Make sure its dead
Plucking: Yep best to be plucked
Cooking: Also best before eating

IANAE and YMMV

HTH

"Any tips on killing, plucking and cooking would be much appreciated."

These are taken from a thread on dispatching poultry on Drs.net:

"I pop one of my son's baby socks over it's head as a blindfold, and it stands calm + still (I haven't gone as far as a drum roll at this point), then whip off it's head with the long handled hedge loppers. Works for geese too. Wringing necks is a knack + if you don't do it right they just stretch a bit.

I've done it several times with chicken + geese. It's easier with an accomplice holding the bird, but I have done it single-handedly. It's sort of one of those jobs you need 3 hands for. With the geese I wrapped something round the to stop them flapping about pre + post lop (which can apparently bruise the meat)Buttoning them into an ikea bag works quite well."

or the following:

"To restrain the wings I put the goose on my lap and wrap it in clingfilm but something like a towel and safety pins or the IKEA bag idea might be easier to accomplish
Suspending a goose by it's ankles doesn't appear the least bit painful if what you use is wide enough: a thick, soft sling works very well and then goosey keeps his/her head nice and still for the blow. To stun the bird you don't need to use an iron bar; a sharp thwack with a 1" thick wooden stick is hefty enough. Then it's a nick to the neck and hey presto enough blood to make a couple of black puddings pours into your clean blood bucket"

Cant help with the killing and plucking as I leave that to others :beatdeadhorse5:

Its got a LOT of fat. Remove any excess from the cavity beforehand. This can be subsequently rendered down and used to make wonderful roast potatoes in the new year.

Not an exact recipe, don't have my book to hand for quantities, but the general gist ....

Make stuffing of mash, sage (fresh if available), and onion - boil the finely chopped onions up for a few mins in water beforehand. The stuffing absorbs the cooking juices and is a real treat.

Assuming you have giblets, make some stock by roughly chopping them up (apart from the liver which can be bitter and eaten separately) and dry fry (very little fat, very hot) in a heavy saucepan with an onion and carrot for just a minute or two until brown. Take away from heat and pour on a litre or two of cold water add salt, pepper, a couple of bay leaves, and any other herbs that take your fancy. Bring up to the boil and simmer gently for a few hours, removing any scum that collects. Use in gravy and or subsequent goose soup.

Stuff the goose, tie up the cavity, prick the skin and rub all over with a mixture of butter and powdered ginger before putting it in the oven . Place on a rack above a deep baking tray to catch all the fat. Can't remember offhand the temperature and time, but its around 3 hours for a 14Lb at 170 I think - best to check though.

Throughout the process keep basting and empty out the fat from the tray as required (again, keep this for later use, starting with the roast spuds you are having with the goose).

I like to give a final baste with some port, even if it doesn't make a huge difference to the goose flavour it will enhance the juices that you are going to make the gravy with.

Like all meat it will benefit from being rested once cooking is complete - I normally cover lightly with foil and leave it for 45 mins or so while doing the roasties, gravy and veg.

"Cant help with the killing and plucking as I leave that to others"

probably for the best if that icon is anything to go by - not sure that the hit it with a stick approach applies to larger lifestock!!!!

. As I nondrinker of such vile perfume flavoured devil drink, I cannot comment.

I shall be sipping my peat enhanced spirits. Much more civilised.

Cazza

Peat enhanced firewater distilled by pictish savages. Tastes like it too.

Time to recolonise and civilise the savager parts of the UK..:)

Buy a rack to go in the bottom of your oven tray (to raise the bird up), otherwise your goose will be swimming in it's own fat.
(Make sure you keep the fat afterwards - it's excellent for roast potatoes):)

Buy a rack to go in the bottom of your oven tray

Or spit roast it. When it stops dripping fat it is likely done!!!

If you barbecue it, you won't have an oven to clean afterwards :D

aberreef if ringing its neck hold by legs upside down till stopped flapping (seconds as blood rushes to head and they pass out) form your other hand into a v sign run the back of your vsign down the back of its neck hooking the head in the v a sharpe tug and clench at the same time so the head goes back bird dispacthed quickley and humanly or what i do 12 bore as they fly over head got a canadian and brent at the moment deciding which one for xmas dinner

Goose and a honey roast ham.

I follow the HFW method of gooseology and stuff the neck with the offal and some sausage meat. Superb starter. Makes the most of all those bits you would'nt usually use.

It does mean getting a bird simply killed and plucked tho. Not an issue for me being in the business.

Baggy

aberreef if ringing its neck hold by legs upside down till stopped flapping (seconds as blood rushes to head and they pass out) form your other hand into a v sign run the back of your vsign down the back of its neck hooking the head in the v a sharpe tug and clench at the same time so the head goes back bird dispacthed quickley and humanly or what i do 12 bore as they fly over head got a canadian and brent at the moment deciding which one for xmas dinner

I believe the proscribed recipe for Canada goose as practiced by the late great Fred J Taylor is put a house bricK into the body cavity, slowly roast goose until brick is tender, remove from cavity and serve with seasonal veg - Throw the goose away! :xmas-smiley-016:

lol good idea as the brick is quite porus it will have soaked up the juices so will be it a lot tastier than the bird PS i will get a new pair of dentures from the dentists boxing day!!!!!

Latest posts

Back