What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've planted a good 100 borage plants every year, this year maybe 200. Perfectly successful, save that I can't get them to self seed at all, despite the interweb's dire warnings of an imminent global borage takeover!

This has just come into flower in the past week. The strip of phacelia is about 10m wide but runs the full length of three large fields. It was planted by a bee friendly farmer and it’s about 350m away from one of my apiaries. It was busy with bumbles and honey bees today. Every little helps after the season we’ve had up here!
IMG_0203.jpegIMG_0204.jpeg

I've planted a good 100 borage plants every year, this year maybe 200. Perfectly successful, save that I can't get them to self seed at all, despite the interweb's dire warnings of an imminent global borage takeover!
Give it a year, they’ll be popping up everywhere!

Bees in the garden all over the apple mint, persicaria, globe thistles & eupatorium. Sedums are just starting to colour up and the asters are coming into flower. They’ve found the mixed field of phacelia & buckwheat nearby - lots of dark purple pollen in the hives.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
It’s dark red. Tastes a bit like buckwheat.
Easy to tell if it’s honeydew. Just pop some under the microscope and there are fungal hyphae in it.

Latest posts

Back