What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strong smell of ivy from the hives today

Some of our apiaries have been bringing ivy back today
Ivy flowering in August ?

I don't know any varieties that flower this early ... are you sure it's Ivy ? The Ivy in my garden is not even in bud yet. I was a RHS Wisley on Monday and the ivy's I saw there are the same ... no sign of buds.

I saw flowering ivy walking the dog this morning. I smelled it first, then spotted it. Bumbles were making the most of it.

Ivy flowering in August ?

I don't know any varieties that flower this early ... are you sure it's Ivy ? The Ivy in my garden is not even in bud yet. I was a RHS Wisley on Monday and the ivy's I saw there are the same ... no sign of buds.
It’s on a south facing wall well its covering quite a few metres of it.
Last year it was flowering first week in September in that location

It’s on a south facing wall well its covering quite a few metres of it.
Last year it was flowering first week in September in that location
lots of ivy out here, and still the odd b/berry flower around. Bees piling in yellow pollen (ivy i guess) and ivy clad trees are humming. Not seen any ivy bees (Colletes) yet though.IMG_20240822_144918181.jpg

lots of ivy out here, and still the odd b/berry flower around. Bees piling in yellow pollen (ivy i guess) and ivy clad trees are humming. Not seen any ivy bees (Colletes) yet though.View attachment 41136
The ivy flow is going to be early this year I feel which is probably a good thing, I have my concerns though that those beekeepers who have started feeding and have ivy a plenty near by will find that there colony’s won’t have the space left for winter bees.

Last edited:
Wow ... There's not even buds on the Ivy down here - I'm not surprised as it's usually the last weeks of September when it blooms here. I suspect that there are different varieties that flower earlier or later, perhaps locally adapted. I found this:

English Ivy (Hedera helix)
Known as Common ivy, European ivy, English ivy, or just ivy, Hedera helix is a climbing evergreen plant native to Europe and Western Asia. It is a rampant and voracious plant that we can see all around us – on walls, in gardens, taking over city streets, and flourishing in the parts of native habitat that remain. Helix derives from the ancient Greek “to twist or turn”. It is also sometimes referred to as Bindwood and Lovestone.

Its growth habit is typical as it climbs by using its aerial rootlets to cling to surfaces. It is considered an invasive plant, so be intentional about how you choose to incorporate this near-unstoppable plant into your life. Indoors, English ivy will like indirect to low light, mimicking the woodland areas it calls home. Its leaves are the typical ivy shape with 5 lobes. It is a dense and bushy plant. The original species has been superseded by its many different varieties:

I suspect that there are different varieties that flower earlier or later, perhaps locally adapted.
That must be it. A month away here and that will be about a week early. Some sunny south facing walls are always earlier....whatever the variety.

That must be it. A month away here and that will be about a week early. Some sunny south facing walls are always earlier....whatever the variety.
Anorak alert...The most recent BSBI (Botanical Soc of the British Isles) atlas (2020) lists 4 species in the UK, or which two are native. Common Ivy, and then in the west Atlantic Ivy (Hedera hibernica). The two non-natives are Persian and Algerian ivy, the former of which is a common garden escape. There will be other garden cultivars around

Wow ... There's not even buds on the Ivy down here - I'm not surprised as it's usually the last weeks of September when it blooms here. I suspect that there are different varieties that flower earlier or later, perhaps locally adapted. I found this:

English Ivy (Hedera helix)
Known as Common ivy, European ivy, English ivy, or just ivy, Hedera helix is a climbing evergreen plant native to Europe and Western Asia. It is a rampant and voracious plant that we can see all around us – on walls, in gardens, taking over city streets, and flourishing in the parts of native habitat that remain. Helix derives from the ancient Greek “to twist or turn”. It is also sometimes referred to as Bindwood and Lovestone.

Its growth habit is typical as it climbs by using its aerial rootlets to cling to surfaces. It is considered an invasive plant, so be intentional about how you choose to incorporate this near-unstoppable plant into your life. Indoors, English ivy will like indirect to low light, mimicking the woodland areas it calls home. Its leaves are the typical ivy shape with 5 lobes. It is a dense and bushy plant. The original species has been superseded by its many different varieties:
No personal knowledge of what's growing predominantly in your area but I'd have thought that you may possibly have h.hibernica as we do along the coast from you. Our ivy is in bud but experience has taught me that it takes at least two weeks from the point when they look like they're going to open till they actually do so.

Latest posts

Back