What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crab apple is starting to open and dandelions are everywhere this year oh I’ve been vapping breeder stock and anything that needs it.
I’ve also before breakfast split two double brood into 8 colony’s at one of the home apiary’s I wanted to do it with all the bees at home before they went out foraging

Attachments

• 161B55B9-5302-4FD2-880C-AC667CF62998.jpeg
    161B55B9-5302-4FD2-880C-AC667CF62998.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 941441C7-03DA-4C34-9651-16989FFC0720.jpeg
    941441C7-03DA-4C34-9651-16989FFC0720.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Much of our property's hedgelines are full of sycamore. It's a nightmare. I'm still pulling seedlings out of the veggie beds and I've been through them twice already.

James

My phone didn't want to focus on the right thing, but this is the sort of flower spike I see on ours.

veg-plot-2023-017-rotated.jpg

James

Neighbours hates the tree for that very reason
sycamores are weeds as far as I'm concerned
Yes, it spreads everywhere and seedlings must be hunted, but in urban areas it's most often established on boundaries because the average homeowner is unable to recognise and remove it early.

Twenty years ago, when I had cause to deal occasionally with arborists and London borough tree officers, I found that opinion had changed and the latter would no longer permit removal on the grounds that it was a just a weed tree.

Cherry almost over. Apple and hawthorn looking good. Sycamore, oak and horse chestnut getting started.

We have quite a few sycamores around the garden boundary because there are a couple of mature trees and the previous owner had the genius idea of putting up panel fence half a foot inside the property boundary rather than bother removing the chain link fence. As a result there are seedlings everywhere and several medium trees in the gap. Although I got a lot of small logs this year, which will eventually be useful for cooking in the garden, and I set my bait hive in one of them too. A weed tree is apt.

The last house we lived in had large mature sycamore trees surrounding it. When we went away for a few weeks I came back to find a lawn of sycamores! I recon there was more tree than grass in the mower that cut!

Last edited:
The last house we lived in had large mature sycamore trees surrounding it. When we went away for a few weeks I came back to find a lawn of sycamores! I recon the was more tree than grass in the mowerer that cut!
If only all my vegetable and flower seeds had the same germination rate and the ability to grow where there is virtually nothing in the way of growing medium for them to root in !

My phone didn't want to focus on the right thing, but this is the sort of flower spike I see on ours.
Crab apple is starting to open and dandelions are everywhere this year oh I’ve been vapping breeder stock and anything that needs it.
I’ve also before breakfast split two double brood into 8 colony’s at one of the home apiary’s I wanted to do it with all the bees at home before they went out foraging
James your sycamore flower looks like our maples flowers .

If any one was wondering why I like to split colony’s early in the morning before the flyers are out .
It gives the splits time to settle and then forage ,each split has flying foraging bees as I move most to a mating apiary some distance away .
I find that the splits are stronger and are less stressed by the splitting more balanced.

There are cherries still in bloom here, also hawthorn. Chestnut trees starting to bloom.

blackthorn starting to go over, cherries have flowered and now we're getting the annual blossom fall covering everything, chestnut is on the point of flowering but no action from the hawthorn yet.

blackthorn starting to go over, cherries have flowered and now we're getting the annual blossom fall covering everything, chestnut is on the point of flowering but no action from the hawthorn yet.

Very much the same story here. Eating and culinary apples are getting into flowering. Cider apples will be along a bit later.

James

Hawthorne flowering in places I stood under a huge acer on Friday near one of the apiary’s it was positively humming.
I walked through some of the clover fields today and the dead nettle is flowering and getting some attention on the head lands.

Very much the same story here. Eating and culinary apples are getting into flowering
yes, noticed the Bramley is in full flower this afternoon and the flower buds on the Prince Albert have started to open

Latest posts

Back