What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see if I can get pics this weekend, the fields are well on there way here... Yellow!

I passed two fields of OSR that were absolutely yellow this morning, not far from Dover. Closer to home, just the odd few flowers, but it won't be long.

That's about where the fields are at around here but with a few more odd ones out in full flower.... next week fully out do you think?

I would say a good warm week will see it in full flower , I'm inspecting hives today , then there being moved to it over the weekend.

First dandelion pollen coming in today. Not that I've seen dandelions out but clearly the bees have. Second pic with dandelion, willow, and I don't know the white. Blackthorn?

Attachments

• 20190325_211059.jpg
    20190325_211059.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190325_144341.jpg
    20190325_144341.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 49
First dandelion pollen coming in today. Not that I've seen dandelions out but clearly the bees have. Second pic with dandelion, willow, and I don't know the white. Blackthorn?

Dandilon definitely out here and bees on them. Got willow, blackthorn, grape hyacinth, plumb, cherry and many other fruit blossom. Loads coming in and 2 of my 3 hives already have QX & super on, 1 upped from brood & 1/2 to double brood already

Im in Cheshire and the rape is almost completely out near me - that's about 2-4 weeks earlier than normal! My bees aren't ready.

Red dead nettle pollen in some hives yesterday - a rather pleasing dark red, similar to horse chestnut. Majority was blackthorn, plum, willow and dandelion.

Red dead nettle pollen in some hives yesterday - a rather pleasing dark red, similar to horse chestnut. Majority was blackthorn, plum, willow and dandelion.

Saw some of that red pollen a couple of weeks back. Sadly, it's the same old story with Dandelions daring to show their golden faces, mower man can't have that and have been out mutilating already.

Saw some of that red pollen a couple of weeks back. Sadly, it's the same old story with Dandelions daring to show their golden faces, mower man can't have that and have been out mutilating already.

The council here have done very little mowing so far. I’d like to think it is an environmental decision but I suspect it is budget related. In any case, there are some amazing swathes of dandelions around Leicester.

Dandelions are out here too blackthorn still well covered and the Rape is going on well 1/2 mile away with the recent rain just need the temps up again.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with flowers but saw my first swallows this week.
E

[emoji106]Yes, I have seen them everywhere
The council here have done very little mowing so far. I’d like to think it is an environmental decision but I suspect it is budget related. In any case, there are some amazing swathes of dandelions around Leicester.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Not sure what plant it came from but I saw bees with a green/blue pollen attached to their legs. Can't be HB at this time of year! Hive is on outskirts of Sheffield near housing estate so could be non-native garden flower.

Citrus (lemon, lime), silver banksia and lemon scented tea tree.

Still plenty of willow and blackthorn out in Aberdeenshire, and flowering currant is in full bloom too. Gorse very heavy with blossom and the odd bit of broom starting too. Gooseberries also in flower.

OSR is highly variable, sheltered sunny bits are a few % in flower in some fields while other stuff is still 6" high.

Here in North East Wales, about 800ft altitude the willow came and went before my bees got to it, but we still have blackthorn, plum, damson, gorse, a big berberis in the garden and will soon have Hawthorn and Crabapple. Trouble is its still rather cold, with snow last week. I haven't done an inspection yet.

Last edited:
Depending on how big your colonies were going into winter and how much space they had etc, I'd be inclined to get in and check ASAP.

I live near Mold and have bees dotted around similar altitudes.

Some of the bigger colonies that were on double brood were in desperate need of extra space. About 10 double nucs also needed to be placed into hives as they were bursting at the seams.

It was 15c over the weekend/yesterday. 3/4pm is the best time I find for early inspections.

Dont need to spend ages with them open but just a quick glance in to see if they need more space/remove stores/feeding etc

County Armagh = Prunus family in bloom (Blackthorn, damsons etc) Whin (AKA Gorse) Willow, a lot of pollinator varieties of apple are coming into bloom ahead of the cropping caroeties, dandelions are really starting to show their heads and OSR is well into bloom in some areas. In Belfast i noticed the florets forming on Horse Chestnut also.

Latest posts

Back