What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldenrod flow within days of starting. No odor yet...which is unmistakable. Broodnests are awfully light right now, after harvest. Hoping we get a flow in this dry year. We've had some decent rains recently...maybe that will kick it off.

I have a small patch of Goldenrod in my garden, but it is not often grown. It is classed as an invasive weed, but I have never seen it outside of gardens in this part of the country.

I pointed out Goldenrod to my wife only yesterday and mentioned you, Michael and how you get a good late flow with it and here you are!!
Not the nicest smell, what's the honey like?

Huge numbers on the marjoram and oregano plants at the moment, Buddleia and lavender also getting lots of attention. mint getting visited in the mornings.

I have a small patch of Goldenrod in my garden, but it is not often grown. It is classed as an invasive weed, but I have never seen it outside of gardens in this part of the country.
I saw some out side a garden for the first time today.....An escapee no doubt!

White gums...some in flower. Black gum also flowering which is pleasing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_144729.jpg
    IMG_20200719_144729.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Went looking for "bees on heather" and the air was "abuzz". Bees on every 15cm of heather and heather in full bloom. How long will this last? The bees had a busy morning, a shower and then off again. Stole six jars of mixed heather honey, quite red from one colony yesterday, as I thought with the bad forecast they may eat it. I don't care for pure ling honey, but mixed is lovely.

Apart from dandelion, I struggle to 'describe' smell.
If you've ever had a jar , or tasted proper heather honey, then the aroma at the hives is similar. Heather has a distinct 'robust' taste and smell. Intense honey tones but with not much indication of sweetness, rather fruity/earthy tones.Heather, especially when being extracted can also sometimes have a slight vinegary background aroma. whenever bees are on the heather you can smell it in the hives from yards away, Some would even say (like my mother) the smell can sometimes be sickly. Fresh heather nectar/honey in the comb has a deep orangey appearance (sort of Lucozade colour) and has a distinct sheen to it you can easily see on the comb the band of heather compared to other floral honey.

Sorry for messing up the thread... credit where credit is due. Stood for the first time in heather in full bloom and it is the aroma from my hives. No vinegar though, but the sugar scent may be from reducing the water content. Taste, I get fruity, but not earthy tones. Chuffed. Will have to consult my microscope. Thanks for your effort.

Sorry for messing up the thread... credit where credit is due. Stood for the first time in heather in full bloom and it is the aroma from my hives. No vinegar though, but the sugar scent may be from reducing the water content. Taste, I get fruity, but not earthy tones. Chuffed. Will have to consult my microscope. Thanks for your effort.
It's OK I'll tidy it up now.
You usually get the slight vinegary aroma when extracting but it goes away quickly

Donsworth blood plum approaching full flowering. The fruit has a bitter skin here , but sweet inside. The bees enjoy it flowering even on a cool late winter morning.

Attachments

• QRBVdy4XSXGibxPUw3P6YQ_thumb_ec6.jpg
    QRBVdy4XSXGibxPUw3P6YQ_thumb_ec6.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back