What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My garden has had noticeably more bees foraging in it this year, until yesterday when the sun and heat arrived. I reckon the brambles and clover are finally delivering the goods. The bees are leaving the hives as if being shot from a gun and flying up and over the hedges into the pale blue yonder. Their air traffic control is a little under pressure today.

Attachments

• DSC_6803.JPG
    DSC_6803.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_6802.JPG
    DSC_6802.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
Is there a book on trees that gives the details of the tree and when its in flower can anyone recommend please?

Same for shrubs and hedgerow plants?

Or ideally, a website that can be linked? Thanks
I tend to reach for F N Howes Plants and Beekeeping. Published some years ago but still excellent. Plenty of s/h copies around these days. Just look on BookFinder.com

Our
We have Thistle galore. Bees love it.

View attachment 32734
Our next door neighbours had a ground source heat pump installed last year and were told to leave the ground to settle for at least a year where all the pipes are laid. Its right behind my home apiary and is now covered in thistles so the girls are just nipping over the fence and back!

Our

Our next door neighbours had a ground source heat pump installed last year and were told to leave the ground to settle for at least a year where all the pipes are laid. Its right behind my home apiary and is now covered in thistles so the girls are just nipping over the fence and back!
I'm glad the thistles aren't near me. Bloody things spread far and wide on the wind.

Staying at St Braivels in Gloucestershire. We’ve just walked through what must be 100acres of clover. The scent is intoxicating. The local shop hasn’t any local honey 🥲

Bees are loving the clover in our garden. Hubby hasn’t mowed it due to being ill with covid, I need to persuade him to leave it growing for a bit longer. The lavender hedge is brilliant this year. It hums during the day.

Attachments

• 8242AB8D-260A-4419-A64B-F721CE2843F2.jpeg
    8242AB8D-260A-4419-A64B-F721CE2843F2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
I'd never heard that. I assumed you were referring to "An Englishman's home is his castle", which I guess isn't a whole lot different.

James
I was trying to be diplomatic, but yes I was referring to the above. It was adopted into law in the 1600s to protect a person’s privacy in their own home. No one could enter without permission.

Bramble is still looking strong. Quite big stretches that have yet to flower this morning.
Meanwhile I've eaten my first handful of blackberries today, next weekend I might be making jam! Saw some sedums pinking up the other day and there are (tiny) buds on the ivy - it's far too early!

Latest posts

Back