What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just looked them both up on the RHS website. Apparently both are liked by pollinators, so I still not quite sure why the bees ignore mine.
Positioning, temps, colony status
I've seen mahonia in shade and sun in the same garden and the shrub in the sun was being worked.
A stones throw away are 14 colonys just out side the garden.

Positioning, temps, colony status
I've seen mahonia in shade and sun in the same garden and the shrub in the sun was being worked.
A stones throw away are 14 colonys just out side the garden.
I don’t have any colonies in my garden. Just passing bees & pollinators

bees flying today in 3 hours of sunshine, they are clearing dead bees from the hive which is interesting to watch. the sloping solid floor and landing board really helps them to do this clearing.
Noticed the hazel has formed catkins, do you think they are getting pollen from that ?

bees flying today in 3 hours of sunshine, they are clearing dead bees from the hive which is interesting to watch. the sloping solid floor and landing board really helps them to do this clearing.
Noticed the hazel has formed catkins, do you think they are getting pollen from that ?
Could be what colour are you seeing?

Ditto one of my 8 hives today - sunny @ 12C. The hazel catkins are out.

It's always interested me over the years that 1-2 hives may be very active, 1-2 inactive and the rest in between. I've never got round to recording winter activity and comparing it with colony strength some weeks later at first hive inspections. Maybe not too late for a New Year's Resolution?

Last week not one then while I was driving between apiaries yesterday every bank I passed seemed to covered with snowdrops.
Then this morning on my walk I saw these. 😊

View attachment 30233
I have crocus open on the hills to, it seems early don't you think?

I have a lot of crocus in flower and I do think it's a bit early!!

Last edited:
My crocuses aren't even showing their leaves yet!

No sign of ours either, but I think they messed themselves up by flowering at the wrong time last year.

We do finally have snowdrops out. No sign of the daffodils yet though, and a couple of years back they were well into flower by the end of January (not that they should have been, really).

James

No sign of the daffodils yet though, and a couple of years back they were well into flower by the end of January
Earliest I've had a daff flower was on Christmas day (south facing house with nothing in front to stop the sun) they were actually a few stragglers left over from some planted by my uncle Rhys in the late sixties! I haven't checked yet but there are some 'wild' daffs in an old hedge base up at the apiary which flower year on year I'll make a point of looking tomorrow.
I've seen snowdrops flower in the area on New years day, ours are usually poking their noses through the grass around Christmas and flowering in earnest mid January, but this year no sign at all of them although a few popped up and flowered on the 20th this year, it was weird, it was on the grave of old George our elderly dachsund who died between the UBKA convention and the tradex just before the first lockdown and I noticed them when I went up to dig the grave of Libby his lifelong kennel mate who had died earlier that morning.

Latest posts

Back