What to do with crapped, soured, moldy frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
What do you do with crapped, soured, moldy frames? Share your experience, please! For example, in Ukraine we do it next way.

https://youtu.be/gF-z4NYetKU

What to do with crapped frames? What to do if honey is soured in frames? What to do with moldy frames? We will try to answer these questions.

Here are the frames from the weak colonies, which were crapped. These colonies remained alive, but they are very weak. They survived because there was an early flight this year. If the bees made a flight later, these colonies could die. These colonies were crapped because they were weak and ate more and overloaded their intestines.

There is a lot of honey in such frames, but we cannot wash them well. We do not know why the colonies so badly wintered. Maybe they had diseases. Therefore we need to dispose of such frames. Also, you need to dispose of frames from the dead colonies of bees, if you do not know the reasons for their death. Honey from such frames can be cut and given to its cattle. Do not give such honey to bees.

I am recycling such frames so. I lower the frame into a container of boiling water. Honey remains in the container, the wax floats up and we take it out. We cleaned and disinfected the frames so. Do not feel sorry for crapped frames, they cannot be used further because losses during their use may be greater than the loss of recycled frames.

If you are 100% sure that the colony did not die from a disease, but from cold or wear on the brood, then the frames from such colonies can be used further. Do not throw them away, but clean them from bees and use.

What to do with moldy and soured frames?

In the winter and spring, when the bees do not have the ability to fly and empty their intestines, sour honey cannot be given. And at other times such honey can be given to bees.

Here is the honey frame. At the bottom of the frame is mold. How to remove mold? You cannot take it away. You can only slow down the molding process. Shake off honey from open cells and put frames dry on the sun and the wind and then sprinkle them with ashes like this. Put these frames separately from the good frames. You can put it in the unused hive. When the bees gain strength and the time will come to put new frames in the hive, take these frames, shake off the ash (you can do not wash them) and put in the colony. The bees will gnaw the damaged and dried places on the frame and they will build new cells. We need to apply such frames as quickly as possible because the wax moth will appear with the onset of heat and it will begin to eat parts of the frames that are without ashes. If we do not take measures to stop the process of molding the frames, they will rot completely.

In the spring, after reducing the number of frames in the colonies, there will be good, low-honey frames without mold and traces of defecation. We can leave them without handling, because we will use them first when we will be increase the number of frames in the colony. The moth will not appear until the heat, in our locality the wax moth appears in May. Such frames can be placed in the center of the colony's nest. Bees will eat the remains of honey and prepare a frame for laying eggs by the queen. In the center of the nest of the colony you can also put frames full of honey. Bees will eat everything and this will stimulate them to work. Bees do not endure feeding frames in the center of the nest; they will prepare the frame for work as quickly as possible.

That?s all. Thank you! Subscribe on our channel.

Run the frames through the steam wax extractor... reclaim the wax for candles / polish etc, slum goes in the hot composted kitchen waste.
Place frames in boiling lye, was and dry... re wax with new foundation.

Nos da

What do you do with crapped, soured, moldy frames? Share your experience, please! For example, in Ukraine we do it next way.

https://youtu.be/gF-z4NYetKU

What to do with crapped frames? What to do if honey is soured in frames? What to do with moldy frames? We will try to answer these questions.

Here are the frames from the weak colonies, which were crapped. These colonies remained alive, but they are very weak. They survived because there was an early flight this year. If the bees made a flight later, these colonies could die. These colonies were crapped because they were weak and ate more and overloaded their intestines.

There is a lot of honey in such frames, but we cannot wash them well. We do not know why the colonies so badly wintered. Maybe they had diseases. Therefore we need to dispose of such frames. Also, you need to dispose of frames from the dead colonies of bees, if you do not know the reasons for their death. Honey from such frames can be cut and given to its cattle. Do not give such honey to bees.

I am recycling such frames so. I lower the frame into a container of boiling water. Honey remains in the container, the wax floats up and we take it out. We cleaned and disinfected the frames so. Do not feel sorry for crapped frames, they cannot be used further because losses during their use may be greater than the loss of recycled frames.

If you are 100% sure that the colony did not die from a disease, but from cold or wear on the brood, then the frames from such colonies can be used further. Do not throw them away, but clean them from bees and use.

What to do with moldy and soured frames?

In the winter and spring, when the bees do not have the ability to fly and empty their intestines, sour honey cannot be given. And at other times such honey can be given to bees.

Here is the honey frame. At the bottom of the frame is mold. How to remove mold? You cannot take it away. You can only slow down the molding process. Shake off honey from open cells and put frames dry on the sun and the wind and then sprinkle them with ashes like this. Put these frames separately from the good frames. You can put it in the unused hive. When the bees gain strength and the time will come to put new frames in the hive, take these frames, shake off the ash (you can do not wash them) and put in the colony. The bees will gnaw the damaged and dried places on the frame and they will build new cells. We need to apply such frames as quickly as possible because the wax moth will appear with the onset of heat and it will begin to eat parts of the frames that are without ashes. If we do not take measures to stop the process of molding the frames, they will rot completely.

In the spring, after reducing the number of frames in the colonies, there will be good, low-honey frames without mold and traces of defecation. We can leave them without handling, because we will use them first when we will be increase the number of frames in the colony. The moth will not appear until the heat, in our locality the wax moth appears in May. Such frames can be placed in the center of the colony's nest. Bees will eat the remains of honey and prepare a frame for laying eggs by the queen. In the center of the nest of the colony you can also put frames full of honey. Bees will eat everything and this will stimulate them to work. Bees do not endure feeding frames in the center of the nest; they will prepare the frame for work as quickly as possible.

That?s all. Thank you! Subscribe on our channel.

Thank you for taking the time to post that. It is appreciated.

You can scrape them back to the foundation if not full of holes to save you buying more, or as above melt wax steam extractor. I take it to bee suppliers and they give me foundation in return. I can't be bothered with candles etc
E

Hi Ukraine,
Good topic. I was particularly interested as I overwintered two hives on double brood for the first time and was a bit anxious about what I was going to find in terms of mould. The reason I did so was because the bottom brood boxes were stuffed full of pollen and I did not have room for all the frames in my small spare freezer.
This is what I found. Bottom brood boxes were empty of all the pollen with large areas of polished cells. Around the edges were some mould hopefully yet to be cleared up by the bees and a couple of frames where one side had not been cleaned up as yet.
Here's hoping that the queens will move down and the rest will be cleaned up!

Run the frames through the steam wax extractor... reclaim the wax for candles / polish etc, slum goes in the hot composted kitchen waste.
Place frames in boiling lye, was and dry... re wax with new foundation.

Nos da

I hope i understand your description correct.
Previously, we used the same method.
Recently started put in boiling water the whole frame with honey and wax .We separate honey, wax from the frame and disinfect the frame at the same time.We collect the wax from the water surface and We also can use this wax for candles or sell. This method jast faster But as a result, we get the same thing as with your method.

Hi Ukraine,
Good topic. I was particularly interested as I overwintered two hives on double brood for the first time and was a bit anxious about what I was going to find in terms of mould. The reason I did so was because the bottom brood boxes were stuffed full of pollen and I did not have room for all the frames in my small spare freezer.
This is what I found. Bottom brood boxes were empty of all the pollen with large areas of polished cells. Around the edges were some mould hopefully yet to be cleared up by the bees and a couple of frames where one side had not been cleaned up as yet.
Here's hoping that the queens will move down and the rest will be cleaned up!

As I understand, you put frames with small mould in hive.
Bees will clean it as fast as posible if they have enough strength for this. Do not worry)))

As I understand, you put frames with small mould in hive.
Bees will clean it as fast as posible if they have enough strength for this. Do not worry)))

Well, the frames have been in there all winter because they originally had pollen in them. It looks like they have polished a lot of cells already, so I am sure you are correct. Thank you.

The word to "crap" derived from Thomas Crapper a Yorkshireman fromThorne near Doncaster who invented an early form of WC as supplied to Queen Victoria

Latest posts

Back