What to do - Removing old BB with honey in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabamaeee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have recently combined a commercial and 14x12 BB in order to transfer the colony into the new 14X12 hive. All went well and I was waiting until this week ( about 21 days) to check the old BB for hatched brood and then remove it.

I got caught out as they are now going mad on OSR and have filled most of the old BB with honey that is not yet capped. I want to get it off the hive now so I am thinking to clear it like a super and then replace it with two supers?

What to do with the uncapped honey or part honey? Should I extract it and feed it back in a feeder or just throw it away? Seems a waste to dispose of it but there is the possibility that some of it may contain syrup fed earlier when the weather was bad.

Save it till autumn and put it under a bb. They will use it for food for the winter
E

Hive works with good speed. Let them fill and cap the combs and then extract.
This my normal procedure. I extract frames and if those which are old, I remove aside.

Rob crystallized rape honey .....oh boy. It is like sand.

When I take off old frames, I use them as super, bees emerge off and bees fill combs with honey. What is wrong in that?

Extracting 'Commercial' (16x10) brood frames? Not every extractor is big enough ...

Yes, I don't have an extractor to suit them but I think a friend has one. At least they are supered on top which will give a breathing space.

Latest posts

Back