What to Cover Feed holes with?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thing will do that is of use.
My deep CB's are poly carb with two hole saw cut outs, like others I utilise the cut out as a plug with a thin top flat piece to stop it falling through. 50mm of PIR then sits inside the deep CB.

I tend to use polycarbonate crown boards, without any feeder holes cut out, so my 'traditional' wooden crown boards don't get too much use. They only really come out if I have to feed, or when I don't have any other CBs left.
However, each wooden CB does have a CD or two blocking the feeder holes, nicely glued down by the bees. Either old computer software discs, or 'freebie' DVDs that used to come with the weekend papers etc. They tend to stay in place really well once the bees have been at them, but you can also peel them off and re-stick them if you need to remove them, or even reposition them, so that the bees can still use the smaller hole through the CD.

Anything that is suitable. Why bother with getting something ‘special’? Bees will propolise any cracks (given time) and there should be a thick sheet of insulation immediately above the crownboard at all times apart from when feeding. Simple enough?

Anything that is suitable. Why bother with getting something ‘special’? Bees will propolise any cracks (given time) and there should be a thick sheet of insulation immediately above the crownboard at all times apart from when feeding. Simple enough?
Cheers

What ever you cover the feed holes with they will stick them down with propolis. However it is worth levering them up occasionally to kill the wax moth larvae that somehow manage to get under some of them.

Latest posts

Back