What the heck is happening - and what do I do!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Well, I'm confused.

Performed a Snelgrove (old style version) and carefully followed Wally Shaws notes. All seemed to be going well except the bottom box made a set of Queen Cells. I took advice and knocked them down. 5 days later they've got CAPPED queen Cells, about three of them. My gut feeling is that I used too much foundation the first time round (because I don't have any more drawn comb) so maybe they still felt congested? They've drawn and filled a super in 7 days too!The top box had done as expected so only opened them to reunite and simplify the stack of boxes.

I'll admit I had a bit of a panic! I have used ALL my nucs and spare boxes in 5 days! The only thing I had left was a rag tag assortment of frames that were in my spares/bait hive.

So - I've used that to try Wallys modified Snelgrove. Now I know you're going to tell me the queen had already gone - but no, I saw her wandering about looking smug! She's now up top with the nurse bees, the flyers can drawn some comb and have 2 brood frames to make a queen with.

Once the flying bees have moved down to the bottom box, could I relocate the top box to form a new colony? They are lovely bees and bringing in nectar so quickly! Or am I better to do Wally's "part 2" and swap her back downstairs?

I wish theyd read the same books as me!

Well, I'm confused.
I wish theyd read the same books as me!

One of the many problems with Snelgrove is every-beekeeper and their mother have their own variation....All consist of sorting hives into flyers/nurse/queen parts and whatever combination therein.
The original works fine...and if you are using method II you now need to add your queen back to lower box.... And decide if you want increase or not with the upper box?

Thanks. So as I understand it:

4 days time, do the door fiddle thing - will prob check I have eggs in the top box too, just in case she managed to get downstairs in the initial move.

7-10 days time - find and switch the queen for any queen cells.

At that point, can I move the top box away to a new location?

When reintroducing the queen does she need to be in a cage or anything?

4 days time, do the door fiddle thing - will prob check I have eggs in the top box too, just in case she managed to get downstairs in the initial move.

You need to KNOW where the queen is. And YOU need to think through what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve. Second guessing at a distance is not easy.

Thanks again. Yes I appreciate this is down to me. I'm certain she's in the top box but I will double check. My brain was totally mashed by the time I'd finished my manipulations today!

Latest posts

Back