What suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried some of the cheap ones with the one zip around the veil and find the zips do not last long and let bees in. I am happy with the Sheriff one I have. It has 2 zips around the veil and velcro where the zips meet. I also have kids sheriff and BB wear. Expensive but worth every penny.

I'm looking at buying a new suit and wondered what other people wear and whether you've been happy with your choice.

I am very comfortable in my birthday suit...

I have the Thornes all in one with the two zips round the veil and a brimmed hat. I feel quite safe in the suit. Lots of pockets. Thick material and Velcro cuffs on arms for snug fit. The ladies have tried very hard to sting through the suit and veil but failed miserably. However they did manage to sting through my marigolds yesterday! My only complaint about the suit is that when the hat/veil is unzipped and pushed back to hang behind me it is so wide that the metal hoops catch on every doorway I walk through perhaps the hood style of sherrif would solve this. However I know some people say to wear a baseball cap with the hood type to make sure bees don't get too close to the face. either way this is not the time to save pennies. invest in a good thick suit.

Good luck

Obee

http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/

Cool, great visibility and as secure as you'll get. Not cheap, but never had a sting get through mine, even with high aggression with bees that sting through a regular suit.

Once you've stopped spending on all the other stuff you need then get yourself the best suit you can afford because, generally, the zips are more reliable.

Also, make sure it's big enough to wear over clothes, you need it to be loose.

ive got 7 jackets and suits
i settled on sherriff
wouldnt have anything else
and great service

i feel very calm & confident in the suit and i think it rubs off on the bees
never been stung through the fabric which i have been through my others

also the veil material is amazingly see through
at first i though i had forgotten to put my veil on and had to check on a few different occasions

ive got 7 jackets and suits
i settled on sherriff
wouldnt have anything else
and great service

i feel very calm & confident in the suit and i think it rubs off on the bees
never been stung through the fabric which i have been through my others

also the veil material is amazingly see through
at first i though i had forgotten to put my veil on and had to check on a few different occasions

bee-smillie Sherriff.... and made in Cornwall... not in China!

Mine is Mocha as I thought it would stay cleaner looking than the traditional white!!!

Yeghes da

http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/

Cool, great visibility and as secure as you'll get. Not cheap, but never had a sting get through mine, even with high aggression with bees that sting through a regular suit.

I've got one as well, they don't keep you that cool (although that might just be that I'm a big sweaty bloke anyway). You can order them via Amazon who'll take care of the import tax etc for you.

Last year we added to our 2 "cheap" very thick suits from the web with 2 lightweight suits from BB wear. Fantastic, cool, sting proof and dry in minutes on the line. Buy big enough to be able to wear extra layers if it's chilly, we haven't needed to yet. + the BBKA discount. + As said elsewhere for a different brand made in Cornwall, they make Maise's suits as well I believe. If you attend club apiary meetings you need a suit that washes and dries p.d.q. for future use.

I started of in a bb wear smock but recently switched to a full suit. I much prefer the full suit of the smock because it just fells more bee tight.

BB wear or Sherriff (well, they're all the same family anyway) I have a BB wear Jacket I got at a great price at this year's WBKA convention and a full suit I've had for about five years - still going strong.Not cheap - but well worth the money

Latest posts

Back