What should I do with that super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry G

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2. No, 3. No, 2 again
Here is the scenario: Langstroth hive, currently with MAQS on (to be removed today) plus one super which was returned to the hive 3 weeks ago after extraction. Prior to putting MAQS on we fed them 6kg of syrup (rightly or wrongly). So, when we remove the strips today what do we do with the super? This is our first year so we have no previous experience to fall back on.

Depends how much forage there is about at present.
Try putting a crown board with a small hole in it between the super and the brood box. They should rob it out. BUT do check how much room the queen has to lay those winter bees. You don't want to be choking up the space with stores.

Depends how much forage there is about at present.
Try putting a crown board with a small hole in it between the super and the brood box. They should rob it out. BUT do check how much room the queen has to lay those winter bees. You don't want to be choking up the space with stores.

Sounds like a good plan - we'll do that. Thanks Erica.

Prior to putting MAQS on we fed them 6kg of syrup (rightly or wrongly). QUOTE]

Yea - more wrongly than rightly as bees will store it either in the super which makes any honey unsuitable for sale should you wish to do so; alternatively bees will fill up cells in the BB that the Queen might still wish to lay in as she will still probably be doing to some extent. That will potentially reduce the number of young new bees that will carry the hive through to spring.

As for the super, contrary to advice above, the most usual practice is to stick the super under the main BB if you wish the bees to clean the frames out more quickly by eating/storing it above. They don't like stores under the BB very much and so get on with the clearing job more quickly this way round. When cleared, remove and store super. To eat it they may need water/dew source close by to dilute the concentrated super contents down to circa 80% water, assuming they may have already reduced water content of the syrup you fed them.

Last edited:
As for the super, contrary to advice above, the most usual practice is to stick the super under the main BB if you wish the bees to clean the frames out more quickly by eating/storing it above. They don't like stores under the BB very much and so get on with the clearing job more quickly this way round.

Both have worked for me.
I mentioned leaving super above with just a small hole in the crown because it's easier than cracking off a brood propolised to floor.
If I put the super under I leave it till Spring so that the bees are disturbed as little as poss.

Both have worked for me.
I mentioned leaving super above with just a small hole in the crown because it's easier than cracking off a brood propolised to floor.
If I put the super under I leave it till Spring so that the bees are disturbed as little as poss.

Points taken - both views valid I think? I would always prefer to not disturb in spring frankly.

Either way the disturbance is minimal, far less than lifting frames? Personally, I'd stick it underneath and leave until the Spring when it will be clean and empty. Most beeks give the floor a clean at this time so a moment rearranging the boxes is nothing to worry about.

Tricky isn't it, trying to strike a balance between sufficient stores and enough brood space. How much brood space is needed at this time? After removing MAQS today we have masses of bees and about 2.5 frames with capped brood and about 1 frames-worth of vacant cells. No larvae - though there was a dozen or so on the inspection board last week . Didn't see any eggs (I'm afraid that's nothing new!) but the queen was scuttling around looking busy. For better or worse we have left the super on over a crown board with reduced opening as suggested, which we plan to take off in a day or two and replace it with a feeder.

Latest posts

Back