What requirements are needed to be an SBI

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the posts, I wouldnt of wanted to do it for the pay it was for the experience and learning.
Im glad I started a thread about it first before applying, you all are as always clear and direct with your opinions and comments I don't know where I'd be without you sometimes.
Thanks again I will leave it for a few more years by which time I probably won't have time anyway but it was a thought to gain more experience about desease and communication skills.
TTFN
Mark
Hi Mark, I was sincere with my previous post. A SBI job is flat out, 5 full days per week for 6 or 7 months both SBI's who have inspected my hives have had to neglect their hives whilst doing their duties. They often work 12 hour days then have to do paperwork. They also have a quota of inspections to fulfill which often is not possible to meet. That's why one of mine quit.
N

Hi Mark, I was sincere with my previous post. A SBI job is flat out, 5 full days per week for 6 or 7 months both SBI's who have inspected my hives have had to neglect their hives whilst doing their duties. They often work 12 hour days then have to do paperwork. They also have a quota of inspections to fulfill which often is not possible to meet. That's why one of mine quit.
N
Yeah I know it was mate, my work load with my own bees and whats going to happen in the next few years, I couldnt consider it my girls come first.
I have a lot of prep already to do.
It was an interesting thought but not practical at the moment.

It seams theres quite a few positions to fill up and down the country.

It seams theres quite a few positions to fill up and down the country.
Not that many, but it's what happens with SBI posts, some people just do it for a few years then mover on - the W Wales one is because the current SBI Maggie has moved up to RBI grade after Frank retired. Her patch was a full on one anyway as Pembrokeshire seems to be a bubbling pot of pestilence - both AFB and EFB cropping up regularly (the beeks down there think biosecurity is a kind of contraceptive device)

Thanks for all the posts, I wouldnt of wanted to do it for the pay it was for the experience and learning.
Im glad I started a thread about it first before applying, you all are as always clear and direct with your opinions and comments I don't know where I'd be without you sometimes.
Thanks again I will leave it for a few more years by which time I probably won't have time anyway but it was a thought to gain more experience about desease and communication skills.
TTFN
Mark
SBIs that I have known were Master beekeepers too. Lot of studying to get there.

SBIs that I have known were Master beekeepers too. Lot of studying to get there.
I don't think I'll ever be a master beekeeper, I would rather spend my efforts raising queen's and practical experience... Then one day I will be a master beek without the tickets!

a certificate as a Master Beekeeper or even NBD does not necessarily equate to practical experience and knowledge. The MBs I've met generally keep very few hives and can have some very strange and outdated views. Unfortunately beginners can fall for this paperwork and believe that someone who is labelled as a 'Master beekeeper' knows what they are talking about.

a certificate as a Master Beekeeper or even NBD does not necessarily equate to practical experience and knowledge. The MBs I've met generally keep very few hives and can have some very strange and outdated views. Unfortunately beginners can fall for this paperwork and believe that someone who is labelled as a 'Master beekeeper' knows what they are talking about.
:iagree:
as Wally Shaw once said - 'too much time with their noses in books rather than beehives'.
Spending all their time winning little bits of paper rather than keeping bees.

I'm surprised these posts aren't harder to fill. Just 6-7 months a year plus you'll struggle to keep your own bees. Need a decent level of bee keeping experience and knowledge, reasonable people skills, own vehicle and drivers licence. All sounds like something suitable for older folk, however, then you throw in lifting numerous boxes in all weathers with potentially long hours and a lot of driving. All for £100 a day...

Quite a lot of mixed views and misconceptions about the bee inspector role on here.
I started as an SBI 6 years ago, I am now an RBI. I don't have any qualifications except the BBKA basic and the NBU in house City & Guilds. You do need to be able to demonstrate a good background in apiculture, this is best measured with a hive tool and smoker in your hand looking through unfamiliar colonies whilst being asked multiple questions and having to demonstrate an understanding of different techniques and an understanding of good bee husbandry. I have done many interviews where people have read plenty of books and watched plenty of you tube videos but cant manage a colony.
We do give help and advice when its asked for or if its a life or death situation for the bees, we give the advice which is readily available on beebase.
Hours wise, you can work 30-37 per week which includes all paperwork and kit cleaning etc. These hours are flexi to allow you to work longer or shorter days to suit you and of course take flexi time off along with holidays, bank holidays etc. We don't as a rule work weekends except to deliver bee health days to associations 2-3 times a year. We get overtime if we have to work excessive hours on Asian Hornet incursions.
We get HMRC vehicle rates so 45p per mile which isn't to bad (its the max you are allowed), all kit is supplied.
I did reduce the number of my colonies from 120 to 80 after a couple of years doing the job, I know run 50-60 and find that to be manageable. Many of my team rum 30-50 colonies (one over 200) and certainly don't neglect them, its about being organised.
All SBI's are now offered winter work so they can have 12 months employment within the agency, some within the NBU and some in Animal or Plant health.
I am happy to answer further questions and advise on applications [email protected] 07900 292160

Back