What requirements are needed to be an SBI

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just read all the details on the gov. UK site, I asked because there's a post for South Shropshire East.
I would like to get something under my belt mind!
Not sure what but it would help

I've just read all the details on the gov. UK site, I asked because there's a post for South Shropshire East.
Ring the RBI and have a chat about what is involved? Some SBI's are now employed year round and do APHA import inspection work during the winter.
I say no harm in applying, let them be the judge of how you measure up to the job specifications. There are a few BFA members who also do SBI work, so it can be done.

Last edited:
I would think with your current responsibilities and ambitions, it would be a step too far. It would take up too much time in your busiest time of year??

You also need to know how to fill in the application, it's not just a matter of filling in a form with your name and details, you need to be able to demonstrate you meet the 'key competencies' and write it up in the accepted way.

I expect they will want you to have several beekeeping exams and a huge cv before they will look at you. No harm in asking I suppose?

I would think with your current responsibilities and ambitions, it would be a step too far. It would take up too much time in your busiest time of year??
I agree Poot, I am constantly amazed at all the irons Curly has in the fire - he seems to have boundless energy and enthusiasm. He probably exists on 4hrs sleep a night, like Maggie Thatcher!

Last edited:
I had a long chat with my SBI when she visited. It’s not just inspecting for disease. There’s masses of other stuff plus all the meticulous record keeping. She has drastically reduced the number of her own hives.

I know a guy who has now been accepted, 5 years experience but very full years, does need a post near to home and none likely to come up which can also be a problem,. It is very hard work, very long hours, apart from the knowledge required you have to be able to rub along with all sorts. Youalso need to have a job for the rest of the year. Think it's a job you do for love definitely not the money.

Training, as far as bees & disease, is very similar to the DASH scheme.
Definitely not worth the money with your ambitions Curly.
You need to take into consideration how many hives of Your own could be attended to in the time taken by SBI work.
We had two SBI's visit together this year just to get through colonies quickly as we have joined DASH. and then I was still getting frustrated.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts, I wouldnt of wanted to do it for the pay it was for the experience and learning.
Im glad I started a thread about it first before applying, you all are as always clear and direct with your opinions and comments I don't know where I'd be without you sometimes.
Thanks again I will leave it for a few more years by which time I probably won't have time anyway but it was a thought to gain more experience about desease and communication skills.
TTFN
Mark

Back