What requirements are needed to be an SBI

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a lot of mixed views and misconceptions about the bee inspector role on here.
I started as an SBI 6 years ago, I am now an RBI. I don't have any qualifications except the BBKA basic and the NBU in house City & Guilds. You do need to be able to demonstrate a good background in apiculture, this is best measured with a hive tool and smoker in your hand looking through unfamiliar colonies whilst being asked multiple questions and having to demonstrate an understanding of different techniques and an understanding of good bee husbandry. I have done many interviews where people have read plenty of books and watched plenty of you tube videos but cant manage a colony.
We do give help and advice when its asked for or if its a life or death situation for the bees, we give the advice which is readily available on beebase.
Hours wise, you can work 30-37 per week which includes all paperwork and kit cleaning etc. These hours are flexi to allow you to work longer or shorter days to suit you and of course take flexi time off along with holidays, bank holidays etc. We don't as a rule work weekends except to deliver bee health days to associations 2-3 times a year. We get overtime if we have to work excessive hours on Asian Hornet incursions.
We get HMRC vehicle rates so 45p per mile which isn't to bad (its the max you are allowed), all kit is supplied.
I did reduce the number of my colonies from 120 to 80 after a couple of years doing the job, I know run 50-60 and find that to be manageable. Many of my team rum 30-50 colonies (one over 200) and certainly don't neglect them, its about being organised.
All SBI's are now offered winter work so they can have 12 months employment within the agency, some within the NBU and some in Animal or Plant health.
I am happy to answer further questions and advise on applications [email protected] 07900 292160
Thanks for sharing this information Pete and also for your contact details.

I agree Poot, I am constantly amazed at all the irons Curly has in the fire - he seems to have boundless energy and enthusiasm. He probably exists on 4hrs sleep a night, like Maggie Thatcher!

Yes and we all know what happened to her....

Is there something intrinsically wrong with enthusiasm, an enquiring mind and the ability to absorb knowledge?
Yea - when you are 87 like me it gets a bit tough to do anything!! OK?

Yea - when you are 87 like me it gets a bit tough to do anything!! OK?
No. You clearly have the capacity to be enthusiastic, ask questions and use your faculties. You might need the odd tonic now and again like I do, naturally.

Latest posts

Back