What kind of bee is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henor08

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone,

As I observed my bees today I noticed this big size bee and was wondering is it a honey bee?uploadfromtaptalk1442329943905.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442329959427.jpg

Thanks i just never seen them until I got my first bee hive and now I notice everything that flyers around

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I think it might be one of the Myathropa sp. But don't hold me to that, I'm new to hovers.

B+ any ideas? Looks like my Myathropa florea one but without the thoracic markings.

I wondered if it was Eristalis sp. This is my E pertinax, but the abdomen markings don't look quite right for E pertinax. I'm just starting with hovers. I love where honey bees have taken me :) Be really interested to find out exactly what it is, but I think you are on the right track with Eristalis sp. :)

Attachments

• Eristalis pertinax (2).jpg
    Eristalis pertinax (2).jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi

Sorry to add into your thread but been trying for weeks to work out how to start my own thread about this seen in garden. Any ideas folks?

Attachments

• 20150829_182030.jpg
    20150829_182030.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 61
Hi

Sorry to add into your thread but been trying for weeks to work out how to start my own thread about this seen in garden. Any ideas folks?

Do any of you use facebook at all? There are a couple of groups on there that are brilliant! The clever people on there will be able to identify these pictures immediately. I've spent most of the year on there and I have learned so much about wild bees and wasps, as well as other insects. If you don't use it I could get an identification for you if you like :)

Hi kazmcc

That would be very good of you I have tried G Images but that's about as far as my net interaction goes lol.

Stephen

Hi kazmcc

That would be very good of you I have tried G Images but that's about as far as my net interaction goes lol.

Stephen

I'm on it :) Can I ask where it was taken, and the date? Rough date if you can't give an exact date.

Hi

South West Scotland on the 28th August. Beasty wasn't very active but disappeared later in the day.

Thanks

larch fly. saw fly

There you go! See how quick I was? LOL

Actually, I should have known that. I dipped into sawflies briefly this summer and lots of wood wasps were pictured in the group.

Apologies johnfly, my connection is iffy, so I'm not seeing posts until I refresh.

Thanks everyone if you think it may a bee or wasp search for a fly and you will probably find what you are looking for .A Greater Horntail (Urocerus gigas) according to G Images (or something similar)

Thanks

Added sighting to NatureSpot map as not a lot of sightings in Scotland

Hi

It's a solitary wasp of some sort (I'm guessing).

You could post your picture on one of the BWARS groups or try the iSpot website.

Back