What feed?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

steveselvage 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I have two small colonies that i retreived from large bird boxes and put them into brood boxes full of foundation.
I have been feeding them with syrup and honey recovered from the nests but they are emptying the feeders in a couple of days (about 3 litres per hive per day) and i dont want to keep disturbing them.
Can i give then a chunk of fondant instead?

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Yes steve fondant is fine if you have some.

Just make sure after a week that they are not filling up the comb with stores leaving the queen no place to lay.

steveselvage 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Thanks, i will put some in over the weekend as ive refilled the feeders today.
I got some fondant from the local bakers and he has offered to save all his "used sugar" for me if i want it, apparently its the stuff left when they have rolled doughnuts and suchlike in it. I said yes please but im not sure how ill clean it up though.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
apparently its the stuff left when they have rolled doughnuts and suchlike in it. I said yes please but im not sure how ill clean it up though.
That will be fairly clean, it may have fat in it, not really a problem for the bees, make it into a syrup feed using water the same as you would using "new" sugar, if there are too many lumps in it you could always put it through a strainer.

Frisbee

Latest posts