What do you run your OA sublimator off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a thread on this only quite recently?

'Battery type; Lipolymer Battery, 1000A' means not a jot regarding the energy content of the battery. Seems like marketing hype, to me, or it is a device designed for starting a vehicle engine (which do not draw 1000A for more than a few milliseconds)

There was a thread on this only quite recently?

'Battery type; Lipolymer Battery, 1000A' means not a jot regarding the energy content of the battery. Seems like marketing hype, to me, or it is a device designed for starting a vehicle engine (which do not draw 1000A for more than a few milliseconds)

Yes - confused re what point you’re making though?

Mobility scooter or golf cart batteries are designed for deep discharge, not too big, and widely used enough to be reasonably cheap.
Lithium versions are quite a bit more expensive, but significantly lighter than lead acid

The lightest and smallest battery for a pan device is a 3s li po RC battery or a 3s 18650 li-on battery. One of 12v those li-on car booster /starter ones will work.
Caveated, beware of claimed advertised mah/capacity rating of fraudulent fakes. Generally anything with more then 12000 mah may be ambiguous.

For my pans I have used my (an RC battery) 4000mah/65c high discharge current 3s li-po expensive at £56 but it's use is primarily or spot welding battery packs up and is capable of 1300a output. At less then 600grams it literally can fit in your back pocket.
This even at 50/60% charge is also is used to jump start a car when the battery is flat.

I mainly also use a pair 15.6ah 6p 3s li-on packs which I again spot welded up they also double up as power for my 12v bee vac. Max current is only 30a which gives me about 4 -6 vapes before recharging.
The cells are recycled Samsung 18650 from one of my ebike batteries that I dismantle and reconfigured for other uses, the cells have aged with ebike use use but plenty good enough for my 12v bee equipment use.

With li-po or li-on one will also need a 12v /3s charger, the car booster/starters will come with one. If buying one never leave the battery stored at max voltage if you wan it too last, store at a depleted voltage of about 50% and only charge prior to usage for longevity. They are different to SLA type which like to be kept at max charge voltage.

Last edited:
The lightest and smallest battery for a pan device is a 3s li po RC battery or a 3s 18650 li-on battery. One of 12v those li-on car booster /starter ones will work.
Caveated, beware of claimed advertised mah/capacity rating of fraudulent fakes. Generally anything with more then 12000 mah may be ambiguous.

For my pans I have used my (an RC battery) 4000mah high current 3s li-po expensive at £56 but it's use is primarily or spot welding battery packs up and is capable of 1300a output. At less then 600grams it literally can fit in your back pocket.

I mainly also use a pair 15.6ah 6p 3s li-on packs which I again spot welded up they also double up as power for my 12v bee vac. Max current is only 30a which gives me about 4 -6 vapes before recharging.
The cells are recycled Samsung 18650 from one of my ebike batteries that I dismantle and reconfigured for other uses, the cells have aged with ebike use use but plenty good enough for my 12v bee equipment use.

With li-po or li-on one will also need a 12v /3s charger, the car booster/starters will come with one. If buying one never leave the battery stored at max voltage if you wan it too last, store at a depleted voltage of about 50% and only charge prior to usage for longevity. They are different to SLA type which like to be kept at max charge voltage.
Hi you obviously know what you’re talking about but it was a lot over my head. Any chance, please, something cheap that would work with a cheap vap for 3 hives. Battery charger £20-30. or Can poss get mains to it. Some sort of transformer that will plug into an extension lead. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Real world rating, this will run a pan device and cope with at least four vapes. Lithium simply packs a punch in such a small package that no SLA type can offer for it's size and weight.

xnbnsj 12V Portable 6000 mAh Car Jump Starter Power Booster Battery Charger Emergency Start Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

housesweet Car Jump Start Portable Car Jump Booster LED Charger Emergency Start Auto Jump Start Power Bank: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

No wiring needed just connect crocs for correct polarity and time your pan for 3 - 3.5mins and disconnect. Everything in one little bundle that can have other uses.

There is a thread on here somewhere with recommends on it from other forum users.

Last edited:
Real world rating, this will run a pan device and cope with at least four vapes. Lithium simply packs a punch in such a small package that no SLA type can offer for it's size and weight.

xnbnsj 12V Portable 6000 mAh Car Jump Starter Power Booster Battery Charger Emergency Start Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

There is a thread on here somewhere.
This looks great, I was worried about the 15a for 2 mins etc, stuff I really didn't know how to relate to power output.

housesweet Car Jump Start Portable Car Jump Booster LED Charger Emergency Start Auto Jump Start Power Bank: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

No wiring needed just connect crocs for correct polarity and time your pan for 3 - 3.5mins and disconnect. Everything in one little bundle that can have other uses.

There is a thread on here somewhere with recommends on it from other forum users.
Thats saved a ton of worry, many thanks. Really appreciate all your help.

Some of the car boosters may have a time out of about 2.5mins for the smaller mah/capacity models so one may just have to disconnect one croc for a sec or two then reconnect to rest the timer.

Last edited:
Some of the car boosters may have a time out of about 2.5mins for the smaller mah/capacity models so one may just disconnect one croc for a sec or two then reconnect to rest the timer.
Ok, I understand, so a larger mAh may be better or am I missing something?

Helpful++ thanks.

Hi do you have an example for the 12volt transformer you’ve mentioned? Cheers
It depends on the wattage of the device:

" Your Varrox is using about 150 watts of power over the 2 +- min of use. The battery is going to supply about 12 volts or so and when you do the math you come up with about 12.5 amps being used during that time. An Ampre Hour is the measure of ampres used over the course of an hour."

So you need a transformer that will cope with this level of current.

This one is good up to 120watts ... which is a bit tight - but I only had a quick look on Amazon - there are bound to be ones with a slightly higher capacity that would do the job. You would only be running it for a couple of minutes at a time ... you would need a switch in the DC circuit so that you could switch it on and off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOJOO-Ciga...refix=mains+transformer+to+12v,aps,180&sr=8-8

Ok, I understand, so a larger mAh may be better or am I missing something?

Larger mah = capacity, so more mah means longer run time.
Given the quoted figures of the battery product
12v/6ah should run for about 48mins with a 12.5a discharge.
The rating given should comfortably manage 4 vapes with about 70% capacity remaining.

Many thanks for all your help. Just going to buy what you said, you’ve taken the problem away, I’m sure it’s exactly what I was after.

Some more math's.
12v battery nominal voltage is 11.1v/50% it's mean voltage through out it voltage discharge range. 11.1v x 6ah = 66.6wh, this means one can use 66.6w continuously for 1 hour.

Some more math's.
12v battery nominal voltage is 11.1v/50% it's mean voltage through out it voltage discharge range. 11.1v x 6ah = 66.6wh, this means one can use 66.6w continuously for 1 hour.
My son is just doing a physics alevel practice paper. Might be easier to join him. 😊

Thing to rember is lithium cells can pack a hell of a punch for there size.

Wet lead acid batteries you should only use 30% of the stated capacity and about 50% of it for an SLA battery. It’s scary when you think 2 lithium cordless drill battery’s have more useable energy in the mm than a lot
Of car battery’s

Latest posts

Back