What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried filling the roof void with expanding foam using a polythene sheet to separate the crown board from the foam so as to prevent adherence until set? I've no idea what u values would apply but it works for domestic hot water cylinders.
why you didn't buy foam or foam cuts and mattresses

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the evening knocking up a new set of honey shelves to replace the ones my brother made about 6 years ago which have suffered with water delaminating the ply backing.
The new ones are made entirely from cedar.
IMG_2551.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg
The new ones are slightly bigger and should take 14 jars.

I can't help wondering... Is the Cocking Honey particularly popular? :D

I got a reprieve from having to make the storage for my daughter's cotton thread when I pointed out that the space she has selected for it isn't sufficiently large for all of the reels she has, so instead I've finished off my current batch of fat dummies. I've done thirty-two now and I think that's enough to be going on with. I was going to make some with an integrated feeder, but first I need to come up with a suitable design and work out how to seal it, but I was also wondering if it might not be more versatile to just make a separate set of feeders.

James

I can't help wondering... Is the Cocking Honey particularly popular? :D
Cocking honey always seems to be popular especially in a village just south of Midhurst in W Sussex 🙂

It’s always fun to listen to conversations on the camera I have on the shelves. It’s always the guys who say “oh we have to have some COCKING honey” then titter like little school boys.

Cocking honey always seems to be popular especially in a village just south of Midhurst in W Sussex 🙂

It’s always fun to listen to conversations on the camera I have on the shelves. It’s always the guys who say “oh we have to have some COCKING honey” then titter like little school boys.

Oh to have an apiary in the hamlet of Thong...

Though as a marketing proposition I suspect having a site close to Beer in Devon would work pretty well with a certain demographic.

James

Though as a marketing proposition I suspect having a site close to Beer in Devon would work pretty well with a certain demographic.

James
Piddlehinton might not work so well though .. Boggy Bottom in Hampshire has a certain ring to it... as has Pratts Bottom in Kent. Definitely don't want an apiary in Shitterton, Dorset either.

James
Yeah, an interesting thought, if you marketed “Beer honey” would it still be subject to the 2015 honey regs? 🤣

Piddlehinton might not work so well though .. Boggy Bottom in Hampshire has a certain ring to it... as has Pratts Bottom in Kent. Definitely don't want an apiary in Shitterton, Dorset either.
Mind you if your bees could Shitterton of honey that would be like the goose that laid the golden egg :)(y)

What if you live in the Orkneys?
Twatt honey anyone?
or even upper Twatt
On our annual fishing trip to Orkney on the way to the Barony Hotel (going for 13 years now) we pass through Twatt (blink and you'll miss it) and it's amazing how 12 70+ year olds still have a giggle and always a few ribald remarks. Fishing still wonderful there - one of the few places left for wild brown trout. Lochs - spoiled for choice.

On our annual fishing trip to Orkney on the way to the Barony Hotel (going for 13 years now) we pass through Twatt (blink and you'll miss it) and it's amazing how 12 70+ year olds still have a giggle and always a few ribald remarks. Fishing still wonderful there - one of the few places left for wild brown trout. Lochs - spoiled for choice.
That was the unfortunate thing, all the times we berthed at Kirkwall and Stromness, even though I'd sometimes have a rod in my cabin, I never had the chance to fish

Completely finished my fat dummies by giving them a coat of linseed oil. All thirty-two of them. At last.

Started to make a couple of frames for queen rearing, to take Nicot cups. And became distracted by trying to decide upon the correct pronunciation of "Nicot". As far as I'm aware it's a French company, so the accepted English is probably "nigh-cot" whereas perhaps it should be "Nico", as in "Velvet Underground"?

James

Completely finished my fat dummies by giving them a coat of linseed oil. All thirty-two of them. At last.

Started to make a couple of frames for queen rearing, to take Nicot cups. And became distracted by trying to decide upon the correct pronunciation of "Nicot". As far as I'm aware it's a French company, so the accepted English is probably "nigh-cot" whereas perhaps it should be "Nico", as in "Velvet Underground"?

James
The latter as in the French knee co, confirmed by Richard Noel.

Yet another dank, dark day so in the workshop for about 10 mins and knocked up this hopefully hornet trap. The advice is to have a trap very close to every hive in an apiary according to Nigel Semmence and thought that could work out a bit pricey especially when you are trying to reduce by-catch with some of these costing £41/half a dozen. Honey jar, plastic lid , a bit of drilling and a reversed cone escape. So wondered if what's in the photos will work . Comments and constructive criticism please. The peripheral holes are 4.5mm but the cone escape hole (reversed of course) is bit larger to allow ingress of hornets.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.JPG
    IMG_4230.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I would be making bee stuff, but my table saw has been in pieces for a week or so. One of the bearings started squealing badly enough to irritate me and the blade didn't seem to be running very true, so I took it apart to put in some new bearings. That turned out to be a bit more of an adventure than I initially anticipated as it requires almost complete disassembly of the saw (and of course there are no instructions because it's not meant to be a user-serviceable thing). Half the bearings turned out to be fitted in blind (or as good as) holes and as I didn't fancy trying the bread trick straight off I ordered a couple of bearing pullers which turned out to be useless. I know I shouldn't have ordered cheap Chinese tat, but I couldn't find any decently-made ones that weren't sold in kits costing upwards of £400!

Anyhow, I finally persuaded the last two out yesterday, so today I have been reassembling everything. Cold stopped play before I got the table back on, but everything else is done, I don't have any bits left over and I've tested the motor (which I had to split, along with the gearbox) and it all seems to work under no load. Unless something more exciting comes along I shall hopefully finish the job tomorrow.

As soon as there's some dry weather I may need to have a big workshop rearrangement. I've just been offered a Boxford ME10 lathe for the cost of picking it up from not too far away, but it's a touch larger (not to mention rather better engineered) than my cheap Chinese one, so I need to find space for it.

James

Latest posts

Back