What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wax cleaning- Try using bamboo nappy liners to filter the wax. I put the raw wax on a some old wire mesh on a large foil tray which I have bulldog clipped the nappy liner and put it in the oven at 50 deg. Leave to drain through. Give good results. Then I use the waxed nappy liner as a fire lighter.

Converted some ekes to 'slatted racks' for some hives which didn't already have these. I like to think that these give space between the floor and the bottom of the frames akin to the space at the bottom of a natural cavity in a tree. They provide a porch-like space which the bees do not try to fill with comb. And the bottom of the frames is a little bit further from the floor and entrance. This space is a bit like a continuation of the shelter provided by the landing board on an under floor entrance. There the bees seem to gather between their flying activity and life on the comb.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

Attachments

• PXL_20231010_172652294.jpg
    PXL_20231010_172652294.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231010_172712046.jpg
    PXL_20231010_172712046.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
Not exactly "in the workshop", but I splashed a load of preservative on the outside walls of my bee shed (which was badly in need of it). And since it was out, I did a couple of other sheds in the veggie plot as well. I've been meaning to do this for ages, but most of this year it seems to have been too hot to be able to wear anything that would prevent too much of me getting covered, or raining. If the weather forecast is correct we should have a day and a half or so for it to dry before the rain starts again.

James

It should be what do I need to do in the workshop today. Yesterday I drove down to USK and picked up 70 @130mmX20mm rough saen WRC planks to make new supers and a few brood boxes.
While I was waiting a few weeks for my order to be prepared I succumbed to temptstion and bought 10 3 grade flatpack supers from Bee Equipment at £10 each.
Plenty to do in the workshop this winter!!!

It should be what do I need to do in the workshop today. Yesterday I drove down to USK and picked up 70 @130mmX20mm rough saen WRC planks to make new supers and a few brood boxes.
While I was waiting a few weeks for my order to be prepared I succumbed to temptstion and bought 10 3 grade flatpack supers from Bee Equipment at £10 each.
Plenty to do in the workshop this winter!!!
Blimey Brian, that’s quite a trip! Surely there must be closer sawmills?

Blimey Brian, that’s quite a trip! Surely there must be closer sawmills?
I have been doing it for years. Takes about 2 hours each way and it is the nearest sawmill that does WRC. I took SWMBO with me and bought her lunch. That was the disappointing bit. The Usk garden centre has been done up, prices gone up but I thought the food was not as good as before.
The WRC is brilliant, few knots and cut to size. I can't wait for the excuse to get out in the workshop.

I have been doing it for years. Takes about 2 hours each way and it is the nearest sawmill that does WRC. I took SWMBO with me and bought her lunch. That was the disappointing bit. The Usk garden centre has been done up, prices gone up but I thought the food was not as good as before.
The WRC is brilliant, few knots and cut to size. I can't wait for the excuse to get out in the workshop.
I have looked around in Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire ,and cannot source a saw mill.They must be quite scarce .
John.

Is the WRC seasoned? I get mine from one local to me in Sussex straight from the saw. I have to season it but I think it’s as good as 2nd grade by the time it’s seasoned and sized.

I got lucky earlier this week.. I was cruising the local town looking for skips to dive into for PIR.
I drew a blank but noticed a development of several large houses where they were putting PIR boards between rafters.
I called in and found the site manager, told him I was looking for insulation board for my hives and immediately he said “take one of those boards from that pile”
I said I was only after offcuts from the skip but he said it had just been emptied so I could have a virgin 8x4 board!
I gave him a jar of honey and he said he would get the roofers to put offcuts aside for me from now on.
What a result!!!!!

The weather has been pretty wet here for the last couple of days which gave me the opportunity to spend pretty much the entire day in the workshop for the first time since the beginning of July (when there was a fly invasion so bad that it deeply unpleasant even being in there). I was supposed to be making a large jelly bag stand (our existing one is too small, apparently), but that required gluing some timber together because I didn't have hardwood of suitable size that I was prepared to use.

Which left me with time to contemplate all the odd bits of beekeeping kit that have been sitting around in the workshop all Summer. I made up thirty frames that I'd not needed, discovering in the process that my frame-making jig appears to have warped slightly (it was on the floor when the workshop flooded a few weeks back). Nothing that can't be resolved relatively easily, fortunately. I finished cleaning up a brood box that had been repaired in case it was required when the local bees went into their swarming frenzy in May, and started repairs on another brood box that in all honesty really isn't up to the job any more, but might pass muster if I'm desperate for a bait hive. And finally I started assembling ten new supers that have been taking up too much space in the bee shed.

I still have some squares of ply that were going to end up either as clearer boards or demaree boards, but the weather isn't supposed to be that great tomorrow either so perhaps I'll even get to them.

James

Is the WRC seasoned? I get mine from one local to me in Sussex straight from the saw. I have to season it but I think it’s as good as 2nd grade by the time it’s seasoned and sized.
The WRC is not normally seasoned and I usually leave it for 3months before use. The latest batch seems very good. I think with a run through the planer it eill be OK to work with. I have found if it is too dry it can be a little brittle.
I bought some locally a few years ago, in an emergency. It was double the price and my old friend who was helping to plane it asked it I had purchased it by the metre or the litre it was so wet!!

The WRC is not normally seasoned and I usually leave it for 3months before use. The latest batch seems very good. I think with a run through the planer it eill be OK to work with. I have found if it is too dry it can be a little brittle.
I bought some locally a few years ago, in an emergency. It was double the price and my old friend who was helping to plane it asked it I had purchased it by the metre or the litre it was so wet!!
Yes it can be a bit damp I like to give mine about 6 months for a 20mm thickness. Less than pro rata for thinner sections.
My supplier charges about £20 +vat per cubic foot but often seems to give me 8’ lengths when I’ve ordered 6’6” or an extra length or 2 if he miscounted when sawing! 😁

There was a discussion on here recently about cleaning plastic QX and I said I soaked in sodium carbonate solution and scrubbed but someone suggested using a power washer.
I decided to give that ago and here is the result.
IMG_2787.jpeg
Before anyone says anything I’ve only jet washed the right side!!!
It works a treat with stainless ones as well.
IMG_2492.jpeg

There was a discussion on here recently about cleaning plastic QX and I said I soaked in sodium carbonate solution and scrubbed but someone suggested using a power washer.
I decided to give that ago and here is the result.
View attachment 37899
Before anyone says anything I’ve only jet washed the right side!!!
It works a treat with stainless ones as well.
View attachment 37900
That's a handy tip to know thanks
John

Some of my Mk3 UFE's are approaching the end of their lives - they've lasted pretty well seeing none had tanalised timber and that's all they've had is three coats of Ronseal 5 year woodstain - about twelve or so years ago!
Salvaged the still good parts from the ones past hope to repair the ones that may last another season or two
The plan is to make a batch of new ones over the winter to ensure I have plenty of spares

Still finishing up old jobs. I'm making up some clearer boards and demaree boards with the squares of 3mm ply that I'd already cut, but I also found a dismantled pine super in need of some repair work. I fixed it up "just in case". If next May is like the last one I'll be needing every box I have. I really ought to put together some new floors too, but that can wait for a while. I need to make some space by turning my pile of scrap timber into kindling (now I can get to it) before I do much else.

James

Latest posts

Back