What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having watched the Asian Hornet BBKA YouTube presentations, looks like I'll be converting all my floors to solid ones this winter....
My bees do well on them even the ones in poly hives and nucs.
I have one nuc on a mesh floor because it’s not long been made and up and it has a conduit entrance but as soon as wasps are gone it will be back on a solid floor with an UFE

I'm sure the BBKA will try their damndest to instil as much panic as possible in their members.
A good diversion tactic to take people's eyes away from what inaction they are taking on other important subjects

With mesh floors one doesn't need to panic and convert them to solid , simply use a taut /stiff insert and make sure the rear can't be accessed.
With the JBM UFE the front rail acts as a stop/ board closure at the front so only the rear may need an insert if the gap is too great. If the rear gap is 5 or less then one should be fine.

My bees do well on them even the ones in poly hives and nucs.
I have one nuc on a mesh floor because it’s not long been made and up and it has a conduit entrance but as soon as wasps are gone it will be back on a solid floor with an UFE
I think I’m going to make some Correx inserts for the mesh panel under my poly nucs.

I think I’m going to make some Correx inserts for the mesh panel under my poly nucs.
just get a piece of PIR and stuff it in the hole, but to be honest I have small nucs that overwinter fine with the OMF left open

Having watched the Asian Hornet BBKA YouTube presentations, looks like I'll be converting all my floors to solid ones this winter....
The hornets also wait under the hives to zoom out and catch returning foragers.

Rather than sealing off the OMF, it would be better to board the sides of the stand so the hornets can't get under there at all.

I’ve a cut out to do next week so made a few “split frames” to hold the comb I cut out. I’ve used frame wire previously but found it easier with fishing line.IMG_2754.jpegIMG_2755.jpeg

Beware: on hot summer days )30C +) the nuc WILL overheat and cook bees if no mesh .. Been there

We've a tank of honey that I'd intended to jar this week which has now started granulating. I longingly dreamed of heated tanks for 5 minutes, then went and grabbed the next best alternative I had to hand...
Piece of insulation, topped with 2 hot water bottles, gingerly put the tank on top. Wrapped a single electric blanket around the tank, then wrapped a doubled over fleece blanket around the lot.
I work from home so set this all up in the room I'm in all day to keep an eye on it. I know hot water bottles explode... and I know that, despite the heated blanket claiming it will never over heat or spontaneously combust, its not exactly being used for its intended purpose either.

However, its been doing the job perfectly without incident, so that's a win in my books for today :)

Attachments

• 20231003_151304.jpg
    20231003_151304.jpg
    1.8 MB
Beware: on hot summer days )30C +) the nuc WILL overheat and cook bees if no mesh .. Been there
Most poly nucs are too thin in the roof and ends. Add a PIR cosy for the summer and /or deep shade. We had a poly nuc without the mesh or the PIR cover this summer, but it was right under an apple tree. It did not get any direct sun light. They did very well.

We've had hotter summer periods before and since but I had a colony in a Paynes nuc that was in an exposed position where it caught full midday sun. The wax slumped into an almighty mess. I've since been conscious to position them in areas which aren't going to bake.

Not quite the workshop, but rendered down some of the cappings. Filtered through some old tights. Quite pleased with the results.
Yes that works really well.
Whoever suggested it…… thanks.

Except I don’t possess such a thing and had to buy them especially

Yes that works really well.
Whoever suggested it…… thanks.

Except I don’t possess such a thing and had to buy them especially
I used to have an endless supply until SWMBO started working from home, now I have to set the cat on her whenever she has to go to the office. And the winter thicker tights clog at the slightest excuse
She's also bought a new tin opener which takes the whole top off the tin including the rim :banghead: so now I have to have my own tin opener to prepare my filter cans

repaired one of my varox - honestly thought the battery had died up at the castle this morning (not helped by the heat as delays meant the sun had gone round far enough to shine directly at the front of the hives and I kept testing the wrong one!!) so got the job done eventually, got home then stripped down and reattached the crocodile clips on both in the sun on the patio.
It does astound me that at over £150.00 (now) a pop the quality of the fittings would reflect the price, but although the varrox itself is robust, the crocodile clips are awfully flimsy and a bit small considering they are meant to be clipped to a car battery
Try these. I use them on my electric outboard motor when fishing - so easy and cover the terminals. Had them for years and never failed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28530192...Fgk8cGAJh1+to5213/b+wsKbA=|tkp:Bk9SR8LLtLTiYg

Latest posts

Back