What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes- that is an idea.
There's something not quite right with fully external tunnel devices imho
My thoughts for the above post would be to just unscrew the existing mesh (it would need replacing at sometime anyway- especially if you had used Maqs)and replacing entirely it with the structure in the sketch.

Its getting a structure to pass through the hole without modifying the polyhive itself and then being low enough to have beespace under the frames that's the project.
Failing that it would be to replace the mesh with a ufe. (or part mesh part ufe)
If still tunnel to the front of the hive to be able to observe who's getting in .
Maybe a shim arrangement between floor and brood box?

In preparation for making a load of roofs and floors over winter I ordered the following cedar from my friendly sawmill.
25 x 6'6" x 6" x 5/8" boards
25 x 6' x 61/2" x 1/2" boards
(Ordered in these lengths to easily fit in the van)
I got my normal call about a month after ordering to say it was ready and arrived to see the following stacked ready for me.
25 x 8'3" x 6" x 5/8" boards
25 x 12'6" x 61/2" x 1/2" boards
After having to load the boards on the roof rack as they no longer fit in the van I paid the £132 as quoted for the original order.
Oh how I love the lads down at the saw mill. 😁

In preparation for making a load of roofs and floors over winter I ordered the following cedar from my friendly sawmill.
25 x 6'6" x 6" x 5/8" boards
25 x 6' x 61/2" x 1/2" boards
(Ordered in these lengths to easily fit in the van)
I got my normal call about a month after ordering to say it was ready and arrived to see the following stacked ready for me.
25 x 8'3" x 6" x 5/8" boards
25 x 12'6" x 61/2" x 1/2" boards
After having to load the boards on the roof rack as they no longer fit in the van I paid the £132 as quoted for the original order.
Oh how I love the lads down at the saw mill. 😁
Bargain price there .enjoy making the foods and floors
John.

Got my timber a few weeks ago from our local merchant and just started to make some underfloor entrances. Worked out cheap as chips compared to bought version (now over £60....)

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    2.7 MB
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    4.2 MB
Moo
Good job, Marina. I like to make my entrance a little further back. These work really well with a solid floor too
Thanks Dani, I’m going to make one with an entrance further back but wanted to make sure I could do the basic version first. Might try a solid floor too but then I’d need to buy matchsticks…… :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014

After some feeding with fondant recently I realise not all my crown boards had the 2” eke attached to them so made up a few to swap while out feeding next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    2.4 MB
Put a hole in one side and you have a vaping eke
They do have that facility which I seal with a domed bolt (so it doesn’t catch on the roof) fitted friction tight.
I also put these bolts in the rim of my new solid floors so I can vape from below with no disturbance at all.IMG_2418.jpeg

Take one bucket of wax and slum gum attached, Add some of it to a solar wax extractor, a pair of ladies tights, a couple of layers of J cloth and some sunshine and hey presto

Attachments

• IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    5 MB
  • IMG_4186.JPG
    IMG_4186.JPG
    5.4 MB
  • IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    3.9 MB
If I had tried that this year it would have been another disaster. What a hopeless season.

I built myself a new warmer. I upcycled the STC1000 but bought a new heater. I also discovered the joys of pocket hole joints. A complete game changer. The jig cost me £35 from Rutlands and provided the joints are clamped and the timber is clean cut it works a treat. I double insulated the warmer with Dupont floormate 25mm and then some left over 7 layer insulation we used in the house. It is on locking casters, takes 4 buckets and works a treat. :) Oh, and it's also the same height as the table saw....;)

PH

Last edited:
After noticing a leaking gate valve on one bucket, I found that the nylon seal ring had snapped. Luckily i had some used broken cheap Chinese honey gate valves and found the seal rings were the right size. After an hour of testing with water there were no leaks.

repaired one of my varox - honestly thought the battery had died up at the castle this morning (not helped by the heat as delays meant the sun had gone round far enough to shine directly at the front of the hives and I kept testing the wrong one!!) so got the job done eventually, got home then stripped down and reattached the crocodile clips on both in the sun on the patio.
It does astound me that at over £150.00 (now) a pop the quality of the fittings would reflect the price, but although the varrox itself is robust, the crocodile clips are awfully flimsy and a bit small considering they are meant to be clipped to a car battery

repaired one of my varox - honestly thought the battery had died up at the castle this morning (not helped by the heat as delays meant the sun had gone round far enough to shine directly at the front of the hives and I kept testing the wrong one!!) so got the job done eventually, got home then stripped down and reattached the crocodile clips on both in the sun on the patio.
It does astound me that at over £150.00 (now) a pop the quality of the fittings would reflect the price, but although the varrox itself is robust, the crocodile clips are awfully flimsy and a bit small considering they are meant to be clipped to a car battery
Try these Emyr Heavy Duty Crocodile Clips Car Caravan Van Motorhome Battery Test 75mm Pair 7109536493768 | eBay

Moo

Thanks Dani, I’m going to make one with an entrance further back but wanted to make sure I could do the basic version first. Might try a solid floor too but then I’d need to buy matchsticks…… :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014
Having watched the Asian Hornet BBKA YouTube presentations, looks like I'll be converting all my floors to solid ones this winter....

Latest posts

Back