What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do know multi tasking isn't in the male remit?!😄

Especially not trying to make candles whilst you're in the bath. Who knows what you might end up waxing?

Then again, perhaps waxing wouldn't be so bad. I had to have my chest shaved on Monday morning to allow the probes for an ECG to be stuck to me. The itching has been driving me bananas ever since.

James

Especially not trying to make candles whilst you're in the bath. Who knows what you might end up waxing?

Then again, perhaps waxing wouldn't be so bad. I had to have my chest shaved on Monday morning to allow the probes for an ECG to be stuck to me. The itching has been driving me bananas ever since.

James
Lets hope you never have to have a hernia fixed :oops:
Seriously....hope you're OK

Lets hope you never have to have a hernia fixed :oops:
Seriously....hope you're OK

Thank you. It's nothing serious. Yet :D My brother has a heart issue that has subsequently been diagnosed in one of his sons and there are concerns that it is likely to be hereditary. His consultant strongly suggested that all his siblings and their children should be checked for the same problem (since my brother may have inherited it from one of our parents). To make life a bit more complex, it's possible to carry the faulty gene involved and pass it on to one's children without suffering from the condition oneself. At the age of almost 57 I'm still trying to lead by example :D Just off the see the GP now to find out about having an echocardiogram.

James

I have a similar hereditary heart problem ( cardiomyopathy). When I was diagnosed 20 years ago, it was suggested my brothers and children were all tested. All given the all clear.
A couple of years ago my brother started to have problems and has now been diagnosed with same condition as me. I am largely OK, but he gets very breathless

Thank you. It's nothing serious. Yet :D My brother has a heart issue that has subsequently been diagnosed in one of his sons and there are concerns that it is likely to be hereditary. His consultant strongly suggested that all his siblings and their children should be checked for the same problem (since my brother may have inherited it from one of our parents). To make life a bit more complex, it's possible to carry the faulty gene involved and pass it on to one's children without suffering from the condition oneself. At the age of almost 57 I'm still trying to lead by example :D Just off the see the GP now to find out about having an echocardiogram.

James
Good luck James. Get a PSA while you’re there

I have a similar hereditary heart problem ( cardiomyopathy). When I was diagnosed 20 years ago, it was suggested my brothers and children were all tested. All given the all clear.
A couple of years ago my brother started to have problems and has now been diagnosed with same condition as me. I am largely OK, but he gets very breathless
Same here. my brother was positive and so is one of his sons. I, fortunately, was negative.

Picked up some 3/4" cedar boards from the sawmill today and will get them in the dry to start seasoning over the weekend. I fancy having a play with Mike Palmers system of vertical nuc boxes for raising brood in his brood factories so I'll knock up a dozen or so nuc boxes in the spring.

Picked up some 3/4" cedar boards from the sawmill today and will get them in the dry to start seasoning over the weekend. I fancy having a play with Mike Palmers system of vertical nuc boxes for raising brood in his brood factories so I'll knock up a dozen or so nuc boxes in the spring.
We were discussing this with him on Sunday evening - it's a pity that none of our beekeeping suppliers sell half brood boxes that will sit on a National footprint - Thornes sell half supers but not half broods.
So no choice really but to DIY

Same here. my brother was positive and so is one of his sons. I, fortunately, was negative.

In my (well, my brother's) case, the problem is a bicuspid aortic valve. If it's caught early enough in the children apparently some sort of treatment may be possible with drugs. For him it was heart surgery and a lot of mess afterwards when things didn't quite work out as planned.

Everything went ok for me this morning however and I am now being referred for an echocardiogram. Once that's done I can start leaning on the rest of my (extended) family to get themselves examined.

James

We were discussing this with him on Sunday evening - it's a pity that none of our beekeeping suppliers sell half brood boxes that will sit on a National footprint - Thornes sell half supers but not half broods.

Mike uses a standard split bottom box which I thought was I bit strange as one point he made in his talk was he couldn’t heft each side of the stack. I asked why he didn’t use single nucs at the bottom like I do but he didn’t really give an answer. By using nuc boxes all the way up you can not only heft each half but you can also empty the bees out of each half without disturbing the other half.

Admittedly a few years ago, I asked the question and purchased cedar five frame nuc box bodies (only ever advertised as part of complete nucs) from Thornes, seem to remember they were priced at two thirds of a standard brood box.

Fitted kingspan into a pitched roof so I can change from the old flat roof I have, which needs some tlc. A bit of a fiddle cutting the insulation to fit the pitch and struts inside, but sits nice and flush. All vents filled in too. Will do the change tomorrow if weather is dry and will fit the insulated wrap to the hive at the same time as night time temps are set to be below 5 deg for the foreseeable...
K ;)

Last edited:
Fitted kingspan into a pitched roof so I can change from the old flat roof I have, which needs some tlc. A bit of a fiddle cutting the insulation to fit the pitch and struts inside, but sits nice and flush. All vents filled in too. Will do the change tomorrow if weather is dry and will fit the insulated wrap to the hive at the same time as night time temps are set to be below 5 deg for the foreseeable...
K ;)
Has anyone tried filling the roof void with expanding foam using a polythene sheet to separate the crown board from the foam so as to prevent adherence until set? I've no idea what u values would apply but it works for domestic hot water cylinders.

Has anyone tried filling the roof void with expanding foam using a polythene sheet to separate the crown board from the foam so as to prevent adherence until set? I've no idea what u values would apply but it works for domestic hot water cylinders.
It would certainly be less dense than PIR board and much more messy!
I once tried making a nuc out of thin ply with a second skin of correx spaced with 25mm strips of timber.
I injected the voids with foaming PU and all looked good for a while. As it started to expand the correx started to bow and after about an hour the nuc resembled a football!!!!!

Latest posts

Back