What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the insulation may be the problem. I have a similar size box that takes 4 rectangular buckets and made from from 2” polyurethane sheet.
The 120w heater takes about an hour to get to 35c.

I think the insulation may be the problem. I have a similar size box that takes 4 rectangular buckets and made from from 2” polyurethane sheet.
The 120w heater takes about an hour to get to 35c.
I've used 20mm celotex all around the main compartment, all of the outsides seem cool to touch. But you maybe right.

I picked up a mini 32L freezer this evening which someone had no use for.

I'm hoping a halogen bulb or two will be enough to get it up to temperature.

May be a stupid question but how long is generally required to turn crystalized jars back liquid at 35c?

Brilliant....I go one step further and make the sides of 25mm PIR.
I have done that but I find the roof is too light and tends to blow off in high winds. Also it’s not easy securing the galvanised roof to the poly.

I have done that but I find the roof is too light and tends to blow off in high winds. Also it’s not easy securing the galvanised roof to the poly.
I give them deep sides...at least 225mm, and make the internal dimension a bit tighter than standard. I don't use any steel on the roof and use aluminium tape on the joins. Most of mine are actually 50mm thick at the sides, which gives more weight. And I always have straps over hives all year round..

The way you've done it is really good, even though I would consider the steel cover superfluous for my needs, it makes it much tidier than my efforts.

I picked up a mini 32L freezer this evening which someone had no use for.

I'm hoping a halogen bulb or two will be enough to get it up to temperature.

May be a stupid question but how long is generally required to turn crystalized jars back liquid at 35c?
Quite a long time ... you really need to get the temp to around 40 degrees and a computer fan to circulate the air will help. At 35 degrees - fully set jars could take a couple of days or more.

Desperately unpleasant weather today, so some of it I have spent in the workshop, first cutting correx trays for my "new" mesh UFEs and then doing most of the cutting to make six Demaree boards. The holes in the latter are a little smaller than JBM suggests in his sticky. I thought I'd make life easy for myself by using a hole saw rather than cutting a rectangle with the jigsaw, but the largest one I could find in the workshop was only 86mm (I was looking for something around 100mm). I've not decided yet whether I (or more importantly the bees) can live with that or whether I should enlarge it.

James

Desperately unpleasant weather today, so some of it I have spent in the workshop, first cutting correx trays for my "new" mesh UFEs and then doing most of the cutting to make six Demaree boards. The holes in the latter are a little smaller than JBM suggests in his sticky. I thought I'd make life easy for myself by using a hole saw rather than cutting a rectangle with the jigsaw, but the largest one I could find in the workshop was only 86mm (I was looking for something around 100mm). I've not decided yet whether I (or more importantly the bees) can live with that or whether I should enlarge it.

James
it will do - it's not an exact science anyway; the first ones I made had larger holes and I decided to reduce them as I wanted to reduce pheromone drift thus induce QC building. As long as they have free movement I should think it would be fine.

Reactions: Kaz
Another grim day, so I spent my time in the workshop working on floors and Demaree boards. I have a fair bit of stuff all but finished now, just needing treating. If the weather does turn out to be as good as the Met Office promise tomorrow, hopefully I can get that done, though I think actually inspections might be the first priority given that the next week is forecast to be warmer and sunnier.

James

I had hoped to do a first inspection today but changed my mind, there was sun but the wind kept the temperature right down below 12 degrees. Next week looks promising though with the mercury rising. God I'm getting bored, so I spent time in the garage making a few frames up, a couple of dummy boards and generally cleaning bits of kit.

You know that feeling you get when you check how many supers you have available compared with the number you're likely to need, discover you're short of a couple of dozen of frames and when you check in the bee shed you find that you've only got three or four sheets of foundation left?

So do I :(

James

You know that feeling you get when you check how many supers you have available compared with the number you're likely to need, discover you're short of a couple of dozen of frames and when you check in the bee shed you find that you've only got three or four sheets of foundation left?

So do I :(

James
Time to go foundationless or just do starter strips?

That's what I've done for brood frames. Not been confident enough to go that way for super frames yet.
I was forced to do it last year after I ran out of foundation. I couldn’t justify buying anymore. It worked fine. Just needed to be gentle with the extraction.

Latest posts

Back