What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a 50/50 mix with foundation and F/L this time and seems to be working out ok.
I've done super frames as F/L but you have to make sure they're fully fully drawn .The only fatality last crop was foundation that had defective wiring and the dial turned up to 11(Spinal Tap reference)

Rain stopped stopped play this afternoon so I cancelled the planned inspections of the castle hives, instead I spent some time in the shed ripping out flimsy beehive bits castellations from some supers and replacing them with far sturdier Simon the Beekeeper ones I bought before he closed down

Been back in the workshop today making some more clear crownboards as I'm running out. Also need to get a few roof repairs done as I'm running out of those, too.

James

Been back in the workshop today making some more clear crownboards as I'm running out. Also need to get a few roof repairs done as I'm running out of those, too.

James
Hi James
If you do not mind me asking ,how many hives do you have in your apiary.You appear to be always busy making parts and replacing old bits .Must say it has taken me some time to get my 3 hives fit for purpose .
John

Hi James
If you do not mind me asking ,how many hives do you have in your apiary.You appear to be always busy making parts and replacing old bits .Must say it has taken me some time to get my 3 hives fit for purpose .
John

Well, I'm using hive numbers sequentially and checking out of my window I can see that the bait hive I set up yesterday has "22" on the front. They're not all in my home apiary though.

I am often making stuff as I think at the moment I build almost everything but boxes, QXes and roofs from scratch. I was also given quite a lot of kit years ago by someone who was giving up, but have recently discovered that some of it isn't quite the right dimensions and I've been fixing that where possible. I try to use double brood everywhere too, so that does make for a lot of brood boxes.

I did have a bit of a backlog of stuff to fix before I became a workshy layabout too :D

James

Knocked up 6 of the 10 of the supers my client needs in about an hour this evening.
That doesn’t include the frames. I couldn’t face making another 110 frames up quickly with all my inspections so bought Murray’s pre-made ones from Wilco. I’m impressed by the quality. If you can’t face making frames up and you live in travelling distance of Farnbro message @Wilco for prices.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The plan was to repair some roofs today. The first one I attempted to take apart turned out to be rather more rotten than I'd anticipated though, so I ended up repairing one and making two more from scratch (well, from bits of scrap timber actually). I didn't have any sheet metal of a suitable size, so I used some DPC material to cover one and an offcut of the EPDM that I used when I replaced the bee shed roof for the other.

I've also acquired a couple of sheets of 25mm PIR board. I'm having serious thoughts about making some nucs out of them, but with machined wooden pieces glued onto the top and bottom edges to give a top bee space stackable nuc box that I can sit on a UFE.

James

I have a load of stands to make so popped down to the sawmill and pick up a couple of bits of cedar.
4.2m x 250mm x 35 mm, should be able to sort something out 😁
Cost me a fiver!

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I have a load of stands to make so popped down to the sawmill and pick up a couple of bits of cedar.
4.2m x 250mm x 35 mm, should be able to sort something out 😁
Cost me a fiver!

I was checking on some hives at a local farm last weekend whilst the owner and his sons were milling timber from some oak trees they'd felled some years back (the smell was wonderful). They're taking it to someone to turn into a kit for them to build a barn. He showed me a piece on the trailer that he said was 10" square and 26 feet long. He'd apparently phoned a local sawmill and asked for a quote for a matching piece. £1,100!

James

The plan was to repair some roofs today. The first one I attempted to take apart turned out to be rather more rotten than I'd anticipated though, so I ended up repairing one and making two more from scratch (well, from bits of scrap timber actually). I didn't have any sheet metal of a suitable size, so I used some DPC material to cover one and an offcut of the EPDM that I used when I replaced the bee shed roof for the other.

I've also acquired a couple of sheets of 25mm PIR board. I'm having serious thoughts about making some nucs out of them, but with machined wooden pieces glued onto the top and bottom edges to give a top bee space stackable nuc box that I can sit on a UFE.

James
Good morning James
I read your post concerning using DPM for your roofs ,I have just made a Nuc with offcut Aluminium, but am considering using DPM for my other roofs in the future .I've seen this on Screwfix: Capital Valley Plastics Ltd Damp-Proof Membrane Black 1000ga 3 x 4m price £9.99 product number
50464 ,would you think this would be suitable? and do you use adhesive for sticking to your roof with galvanised clout nails on the sides
Thanks in advance
John

Check it's UV stable.
Pond liner is often sold with 25yr stability

Yes, UV stability is a major requirement. I'm not sure about the DPM, but I needed something and it was the first thing I saw in my scrap pile. Some scraps have been sitting out in the sunshine for quite a few years without apparent breakdown however. I didn't glue it down -- just pinned it at the side with some clout nails.

The EPDM I used for the bee shed roof allegedly has an expected lifespan of about fifty years, so I'm confident it will outlast my needs :)

James

Probably fine and as Superlative says will probably outlive us all.
What prompted that was when I re roofed our previous cottage I used a Vapour Permeable Membrane as underlay which had a three month sunlight exposure limit.After that it must have the slates put on and a plastic felt tray into the gutter.
DPM is meant to be covered by a slab of concrete but It's tough as old boots so shouldn't be a problem.
I've made a few DIY roofs but now my go-to is a Commercial roof tin.
At a tenner it's an investment but it may possibly outlive my grandchildren and the extra width gives option for using thicker boards yet still fitting over National boxes.

Latest posts

Back