What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word about corks ...

If you're going to buy them ex.Ebay - then avoid the overseas sellers, especially the Portugese. I had a few dozen samples sent over, and their cork sizes vary enormously. A great pity, 'cause their used cork prices are excellent.

I only use corks ex. British 'home-brewing' sellers, as their corks are uniformly made at 22mm diameter. Expect to pay around £9 - £10 per hundred. Used corks are fine to use (providing they fit), and are a good excuse for emptying the bottles first ...
LJ

Lots of corks here.. I would like to claim I only drink corked wines but that has unfortunate connotations..

Stan and I drilled varying diameter holes in some very hard logs to make a bee house for solitary bees :)

My local railway station has extremely well maintained gardens complete with Bee hotels for the solitary bees !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I assembled 2 Killion Deep Bottom boards for my square Dadant hives today. Then I started cutting parts to make up 38 more. This is similar to a slatted rack, but modified to permit a divider with 2 queens in each hive. Each will take about 30 minutes of cutting/assembly/painting time so I am looking at about 20 hours total work to complete them. Why use them? They improve hive ventilation which makes it easier to manage bees in the heat of summer.

More floors and roofs..... sparks were flying off the saw table and going into the pre cyclone dust collector... the riveing fence was touching the wheel.

Another aluminum caravan bites the dust....... still a few abandoned on the A30 to be salvaged.... roll on summer!!

Myttin da

You remember when you first started thinking about beekeeping and bought some second hand kit from someone who knows someone who knows someone...?
(only to realise you've spent £100 on firewood)...

Dug these out from the back of the garage today...

10 WBC lifts and 2 crumbling roofs. The inners long ago went on the bonfire.

068288fddbcd49c5ee3a5614b49a95d3.jpg

749ef9e9c4a2a07a382307daaf51a951.jpg

a80789128128c4b94ea25b4203132865.jpg

Last edited:
More like what I have been doing since early December !

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 41
Finally finished the last painting of 100 new roofs. It certainly takes time but a deep roof pays dividends for a long time ahead. Gone over to OSB for the top roof square.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14113&stc=1&d=1489005774

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14113&stc=1&d=1489005088
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14111&stc=1&d

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14114&stc=1&d=1489005774
This isn't my workshop but i share it with the owner. Plenty of space to get a batch completed, without having to move stuff to get on with another project. I am very lucky!

Attachments

• IMG_5070.jpg
    IMG_5070.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 58
  • 6AF2BB45-8897-4871-A531-E7F95266CF08.jpg
    6AF2BB45-8897-4871-A531-E7F95266CF08.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 69
I've been building slatted racks to go on my square Dadant hives. Here are a couple of pictures.

Top view
kbb.top.jpg

Bottom view
kbb.bottom.jpg

And with a divider sitting in the slot showing how it will work. Look closely and you can tell that when the hive body is in place, the divider will completely separate the two sides yet allow heat to diffuse across the plastic divider.
divider.in.kbb.jpg

I have just got my hands on 90 cm length by 5cm x22 cm of grade A off cuts .A pallet load, about 100 : ) they are from roofing timber off cuts . I'm going to make good use of them.

I have just spent a joyful couple of hours repairing and putting foundation in 10 14X12 old boiled brood frames. I followed this up by putting together and putting foundation in 20 new national brood frames.
I purchased the frames from C Wynne Jones, they are Thornes seconds. Only one had a slight knot issue. I am very pleased. I am going to need these next week as I am accompanying a local pest controller cutting out a couple of colonies that are in buildings that are being renovated. Did 2 last week and they seem to be going OK

I spent the most part of today ripping wood, gets boring after a while! I have got 2/3 done though on 30 floors, I'm happy about this: ) Although i have to put them together yet. Went for standard floors with open mesh, with tray runners router into side bars.

Same as I've been doing the last few weeks. Making hive stands for the new out apiary, making up more brood boxes and tidying up to make room for the kit I accidentally pre ordered for the convention (but which they refused to let me pick up but are having it delivered to Brynmair as there wouldn't have been enough room in the convention lorry for the other orders:D) and making up more underfloor entrance OMF's to meet the demands of another beek:D

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back