What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 supers..
June was a TOTAL disaster..
This year has been a great start, followed by a dearth, then a brilliant flow. All bar one colony H2 had to be split.
So far I’ve taken 9 supers from 4 hives and have 223lbs.
That should work out to around 56 lbs per hive, but H4 has given 91lbs.
So, as @Erichalfbee says - it’s down to the bees!

This year has been a great start, followed by a dearth, then a brilliant flow. All bar one colony H2 had to be split.
Not much forage available and not much foraging taking place when daytime temperatures maxxed at 12C for a period of 3 weeks. Nor much nectar as it was gray and overcast.

Like you Poot I have had brilliant year,
From one hive I now have four three were swarms, one requeened with a black mountain buckfast. Three of the hives have produced well. A total of 170lbs so far and still have supers on. All the honey is light coloured, none tastes of mint but every box has a different taste. I love taking off and bottling each crop separately. None looks like setting at all. Well done mate

I'll be lucky if I get two supers. Absolutely disastrous year for me. Lost a hive to varroa. Then a swarm. Then two queens failed to return from mating. The fact that I now finally have three hives functioning and working is the only thing I can be glad about. Now just to make sure they are large enough to get through winter. I love beekeeping. Or did I mean hate? :rolleyes:

Checked on the nucs I split in mid July and a couple of hives that are requeening. Saw a jet black queen on a queen excluder - looked unmated so left her to it. Another queen in a nuc has already filled every cell with eggs! Nice stripy queen.
I could kiss the farmers who’ve planted phacelia locally (one field right by my out apiary) - all the colonies are bringing back purple pollen. They’ve interspersed it with something with white flowers but couldn’t make out what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_8668.jpeg
    IMG_8668.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8651.jpeg
    IMG_8651.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
I could kiss the farmers who’ve planted phacelia locally (one field right by my out apiary) - all the colonies are bringing back purple pollen.
Lucky you. All our surrounding fields are “improved” (a matter of opinion) grassland. At least the Balsam along the Aeron is left to its own devices.

Clearer board, supers and flipped clearer board on top, bees can escape top and bottom.
Nice idea, but beware wasps, which are more determined than bees. One year wasps got in through the escape cones in WBC roofs and made merry hell. Had to put a twig in the central hole - about 7-8mm - to stop it.

Checked on the nucs I split in mid July and a couple of hives that are requeening. Saw a jet black queen on a queen excluder - looked unmated so left her to it. Another queen in a nuc has already filled every cell with eggs! Nice stripy queen.
I could kiss the farmers who’ve planted phacelia locally (one field right by my out apiary) - all the colonies are bringing back purple pollen. They’ve interspersed it with something with white flowers but couldn’t make out what it was.
Lovely entourage photo.

Finally has a day match up with granddaughter and weather combining together here, to go visit bees. Suited in a Smallish suit and ridiculously thick gauntlets just in case. No trepidation at all, though didn't find the smaller gloves till we were packing up. 🙄. Even ended up with no gloves holding bees on finger.
Loved it, far better than me at Queen spotting. Found and marked a newly mated and laying well Queen too. Needless to say that hive now houses pink dot Queen Amelia ♥️

Attachments

• 20240808_180535.jpg
    20240808_180535.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_183245.jpg
    20240808_183245.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_183353.jpg
    20240808_183353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_181640.jpg
    20240808_181640.jpg