What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely and warm today. Checked up on a few colonies. Lots of nectar coming in and a variety of pollen colours. Spotted eggs in a Nuc that I thought may be queenless and a newly introduced queen in another colony seems to have started laying. Supers in my main apiary (on an arable farm) filling steadily. Supers in my other apiary (large garden) filling extremely quickly.

Massive result this weekend.
A swarm exited from a quad brood nuc right in front of me as I was preparing to split it up for some of our own bred Queens to be introduced, this was 1550.
The swarm landed about thirty feet up in a oak tree in the mating apiary. Not having the climb gear and leaving for a box swap in Essex @ 0230 next morning I placed a nuc box with one fresh drawn comb & five foundation on a stack of box's about eight feet from the ground, dropped a load of lemon grass oil inside as well and left it.
Went back today & the swarm has moved in, a full five frames of Nat deep, Result.
I found a virgin in one of the splits which hopefully will make five nucs should they survive the winter.
I'm moving away from big boxes to Nat deeps on static sites & using rolling Demeree to make it easier for Wendy.
I've a massive issue that we have run out of made up supers, never thought that would happen this year.

Had a call around 20:15 this evening.

Some kind individual had dumped a box of bees on a rec ground at the end of someone else's garden. These were found by a dog walker or, more correctly, their dog.

The home owner reported being stung at least four times and pursued perhaps the length of a rugby pitch.

Reportedly another beekeeper had previously come to collect them although his wife came too. Despite supposedly not being allergic to bee stings, she was stung and seemingly had become allergic to them so they had a rapid trip to the hospital- I'm told with signs of anaphylaxis. Keep her in your prayers and perhaps pray for wisdom as well that she will start carrying the epipen she had seemingly left at home.

Got there and what looks like some sort of large bird nestbox had a swarm of bees in it. It had been placed in a bag for life and dumped in a bush. The first beekeeper had helpfully got it away from the the vegetation before he and his wife were forced to depart. Sprayed bees with water to reduce flying, covered it in a section of breathable frost fleece and duct taped this tightly around the bag for life. I don't get many truly five minute jobs!

Gave house owner a jar of honey, bees in an out apiary with a nuc box next to them, fleece removed but nothing else done as it was virtually dark by then, will move across tomorrow afternoon. Time will tell about temperament but I'm not tolerating jerks so could be a rapid requeen unless they're truly miserable as suggested by the home owner. In reality they were likely unhappy after being dumped today and then further aggravated by being moved out of the bushes.

Cannot believe someone would just dump a box of bees like that. Also confused as to just how they did it.

Anyone reading this who has an epipen, I don't care how unlikely you think a reaction is, please just make a habit of always carrying the damn thing. It's just not worth it. I really hope that beekeeper's wife is alright.

Had a call around 20:15 this evening.

Some kind individual had dumped a box of bees on a rec ground at the end of someone else's garden. These were found by a dog walker or, more correctly, their dog.

The home owner reported being stung at least four times and pursued perhaps the length of a rugby pitch.

Reportedly another beekeeper had previously come to collect them although his wife came too. Despite supposedly not being allergic to bee stings, she was stung and seemingly had become allergic to them so they had a rapid trip to the hospital- I'm told with signs of anaphylaxis. Keep her in your prayers and perhaps pray for wisdom as well that she will start carrying the epipen she had seemingly left at home.

Got there and what looks like some sort of large bird nestbox had a swarm of bees in it. It had been placed in a bag for life and dumped in a bush. The first beekeeper had helpfully got it away from the the vegetation before he and his wife were forced to depart. Sprayed bees with water to reduce flying, covered it in a section of breathable frost fleece and duct taped this tightly around the bag for life. I don't get many truly five minute jobs!

Gave house owner a jar of honey, bees in an out apiary with a nuc box next to them, fleece removed but nothing else done as it was virtually dark by then, will move across tomorrow afternoon. Time will tell about temperament but I'm not tolerating jerks so could be a rapid requeen unless they're truly miserable as suggested by the home owner. In reality they were likely unhappy after being dumped today and then further aggravated by being moved out of the bushes.

Cannot believe someone would just dump a box of bees like that. Also confused as to just how they did it.

Anyone reading this who has an epipen, I don't care how unlikely you think a reaction is, please just make a habit of always carrying the damn thing. It's just not worth it. I really hope that beekeeper's wife is alright.
A good feeding combined with a good home plus patience and time to settle will I am sure make all the difference, they are smart critters and know when they are cared for. Please keep us updated

Massive result this weekend.
A swarm exited from a quad brood nuc right in front of me as I was preparing to split it up for some of our own bred Queens to be introduced, this was 1550.
The swarm landed about thirty feet up in a oak tree in the mating apiary. Not having the climb gear and leaving for a box swap in Essex @ 0230 next morning I placed a nuc box with one fresh drawn comb & five foundation on a stack of box's about eight feet from the ground, dropped a load of lemon grass oil inside as well and left it.
Went back today & the swarm has moved in, a full five frames of Nat deep, Result.
I found a virgin in one of the splits which hopefully will make five nucs should they survive the winter.
I'm moving away from big boxes to Nat deeps on static sites & using rolling Demeree to make it easier for Wendy.
I've a massive issue that we have run out of made up supers, never thought that would happen this year.
Just been making some supers today

They don't like you/the hive/the surroundings/ they have been predated/overheated/cold/.....think of any of multiple reasons..

I do no inspections with 5 supers on...too feeble /lazy etc
Just curious why do you leave so many supers on, I am guessing that some have capped honey

Just curious why do you leave so many supers on, I am guessing that some have capped honey
Because sometimes the nectar comes in so fast and there are so many bees in the colony they need the space. I must admit by the time mine get to four supers I Ieave them alone till the honey comes off, adding more space at the top

I like well filled, well capped frames then I feel the water content should be OK. The bees to frame ratio may also be important getting the job done. I leave it all until mid August and anything they bring in after that is theirs. I don't get heather honey so guess at that stage the majority will be ivy.

Not the apiary BUT sugar in Lidl yesterday was £1.09 a kilo. The Lidl plus app was giving 15% off sugar and we had the £250 saved up to give us another 10% off the entire shop. A really good saving off the 50kg I bought. (and a few very strange looks at my trolley). One lady made a comment about jam making! Will put the saving towards paying for the increase in jar prices. You win some and lose some!!

My Nuc I purchased late May swarmed yesterday.

I inspected just 4 days prior and saw no swarm cells and there seemed to be enough space to lay eggs but I guess I was wrong. Checked yesterday after the swarm and there were 3 bottom swarm cells. Slightly annoying but what can ya do? Took 2 away, keeping one in the hope she's good enough, if not I'll purchase a mated one.

I guess the Queen was just too good at her job

I inspected just 4 days prior and saw no swarm cells and there seemed to be enough space to lay eggs but I guess I was wrong. Checked yesterday after the swarm and there were 3 bottom swarm cells. Slightly annoying but what can ya do? Took 2 away, keeping one in the hope she's good enough, if not I'll purchase a mated one.

Were they in a full size hive?

Did you have them in a full size hive or were they still in the nuc ? The queen cells must have been there when you inspected 4 days ago .. so that's a lesson learned (an expensive one but we've all been there ! - Point me to a beekeeper who has never lost a swarm ...it happens).

You are a bit limited with one colony...what I tend to do is make up a nuc with one of the swarm cells as a reserve but in order to do that you need enough bees or an Apidea or other mini hive with drawn frames.

Just curious why do you leave so many supers on,
Because sometimes the nectar comes in so fast and there are so many bees in the colony they need the space. I must admit by the time mine get to four supers I Ieave them alone till the honey comes off, adding more space at the top
and some of us don't have the time or the inclination to extract in dribs and drabs.

As has been said the forage income in very good areas comes in thick and fast with little time to deal/ripen the nectar.
My garden colony is one such hive , currently has 8 supers and BB super over a double brood. It isn't ideal but one has no choice but to let the bees do their work .
Here Blackberry and lime forage has been awesome this year, looking at 300lbs this year alone from this garden colony. I have extracted one super (31lbs) but it went straight back on.
I gave the third BB as extra laying room but the bees had other ideas and within the week had filled the combs with nectar and built out some of the FL combs given.

Last edited:
I could have split the colony and had tow weaker hives and a third (if lucky) of the forage.
Big hives = tens of thousands more bees , more bees = bigger colonies and available crops.

34 degrees at the farm today, must be summer. There were some colonies that needed checking for signs of a laying queen, which meant dragging five full supers off to get to the brood box which was fun. Brood present thankfully and a lot of nectar filled cells as well so an extra super added to the single brood colony, while the double is OK for space.
Checked in again with the little queen, saw her again and she has the combs nicely laid up now. Added a frame of eggs from a nice, local queen to a colony that I left to supersede, not seen the old queen for a long time but no sign of brood either.

Visited a friends orchard apiary not 0.5km form my garden colony, one colony has a new queen (I missed the resulting clipped swarm and they perished due to rain) .
The original parent colony going well , five supers on and looking like 125 - 140lbs coming off them soon.

Walked around the apairy too pick the Blackberries, filled a 1ltr ice cream tub with them. Very nice large juicy fruits this year thanks to the wet /warm condition we have had, still a huge amount of fruit to ripen off.
Can't beat local produced fruit all down to the bees work an free to pick.

Took off more honey yesterday as I,ve run out of supers and had to start using brood boxes which I,ve now run out of as well. Who said this year would be a bad year it's my best year ever.
It didn't bode well here until pretty recently. Cycles of wet/cold/dry/hot/wet seemed to baffle the bees and the forage plants. It wasn't worth extracting in June. This month however things suddenly changed gear and nectar is coming in. I was mafting this afternoon so I took a wander down to check a hive some distance from the apiary. The colony was a swarm from earlier this spring. They've established in a 14 x 12 Abelo polyhive. Drawn and filled a super I gave them a fortnight ago on every frame (I should have taken it's picture but hey ho. I cleared the super with a cloth and bee-quick, gave them an empty super and extracted straight away to take advantage of the warm conditions.

As has been said the forage income in very good areas comes in thick and fast with little time to deal/ripen the nectar.
My garden colony is one such hive , currently has 8 supers and BB super over a double brood. It isn't ideal but one has no choice but to let the bees to their work .
Here Blackberry and lime forage has been awesome this year, looking at 300lbs this year alone from this garden colony. I have extracted one super (31lbs) but it went straight back on.
I gave the third BB as extra laying room but the bees had other ideas and within the week had filled the combs with nectar and built out some of the FL combs given.
I hope you’ve got a tall stepladder!

Latest posts

Back