What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this one isn't going to be popular with everyone but this evening I euthanised a colony. It was a pretty strong brood 1/2 but they were getting more and more aggressive over time. I inspected them last week and they were really grumpy and smoking them had no effect. They were following for a fair distance too.They were still managable for now but would have become a real handfull in the next few weeks. The apiary site is next to chickens and people work nearby too. The Q was 2 years old and all the combs were old and manky so no great loss there.I also wanted to get the job done before the colony started producing drones. I waited till dark, blocked the entrance up and poured a few litres of soapy water over them,this worked instantly and I don't think the bees suffered too muc

It's too late now and it's always a personal decision but I would have left them a bit longer.

It's not been the best weather for inspections and bees can be a bit grumpy when you tear their nest apart in adverse weather conditions (it may be sunny when you inspect them but bees are more adept at knowing what weather is on its way). The test for a really grumpy hive is when they attack you for just standing near the hive and then follow you as you try to escape. Just being a bit defensive when you open them up doesn't count in my book. I've had colonies that objected to being opened one day and were pussycats the next ...
Yes I agree, a new queen arrived today to replace a feisty colony, would have to try a few things before id destroy the hive, but as you say it's a personal choice

Yes I agree, a new queen arrived today to replace a feisty colony, would have to try a few things before id destroy the hive, but as you say it's a personal choice
I think a lot depends on where your hives are. Mine are in my garden and I have neighbours, though they are very bee-tolerant. I have requeened one nasty hive in the past that I would now cull.

I think a lot depends on where your hives are. Mine are in my garden and I have neighbours, though they are very bee-tolerant. I have requeened one nasty hive in the past that I would now cull.
Mine are at the bottom of my garden, I do have a long garden.

Another chance to get into hives, a day earlier than necessary, but needs must.

One hive steadfastly refusing to work their super. Super added to another hive.

Plenty of play cups with eggs- inspection due Monday!

Spent 3 hours strimming the blackthorn scrub in the Apiary. I was unable to do it last year owing to issues with my eyes. I will have to return next week, when the wind is in the corresct direction and collect it all up and have a big bonfire. I think I will take some help!!!!!

Finally warm and sunny, so went through all five - three double brood, one brood and an half (ugh!) and a double decker nuc.
Nuc not far on yet, which really surprised me. Lower frames only just starting to be drawn out!
Other colonies all raring to go. Rather a lot of drones in the double brood hives and a good proportion of drone to worker brood. Most foundation free frames are drawn out as drone cells. Reversed the brood boxes. Gave clean floors. Two removed for repair and repainting - wasps had chewed under the entrance blocks (poly hives).
Found the queen in the half brood and got her into the brood box.🤗
Added qx’s and supers to four.
One colony very feisty, whilst all the others had really nice temperaments. May have to re queen the feisty one.
Completely knackered at the end of it. The close season does me no good!

Mulling over when to do Demarees on my hives.

I go away in 3 weeks for a 3-week break leaving the remaining resident, a non-beekeeper, to ‘keep an eye on them’.
(Yes, I know: a double error.)
My stand-in beek is unwell and can’t cover for me.

Only two hives but both have brood on 8-9 frames.
Excellent queens that I’m loathed to lose.
I’ve always found Demaree to be pretty reliable in staving off swarming.
I need a week to re-inspect the top BB for QCs.

Decisions, decisions.

A

I go away in 3 weeks for a 3-week break leaving the remaining resident, a non-beekeeper, to ‘keep an eye on them’.

Decisions, decisions.

A
Adrian!!!!! Welcome back. I’d give you a hug if I could !!!!!

Decisions, decisions.

A
wow!
Dusty has risen!!
:eek: :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:
welcome back
I wouldn't worry about inspecting the top box a week after the Demaree, worse that can happen is you have a virgin running around in there, and later you may end up with two mated queens to decide on who stays over winter

wow!
Dusty has risen!!
:eek: :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:
welcome back
I wouldn't worry about inspecting the top box a week after the Demaree, worse that can happen is you have a virgin running around in there, and later you may end up with two mated queens to decide on who stays over winter
Thank you jenkinsbrynmair.

It’s good to be back.
Life’s been too hectic over the last couple of years, to get hooked into the forum.
But now I’m half retired I have time to be social.
And as a sign of that, I’ll be paying a fleeting visit to the Convention tomorrow.
Might see you there.

A

Set up an apiary for a client (hotel). Then checked the last two nucs at my parents'. One was either LW or DLQ I'd given a frame of BIAS to a week ago. Sealed supercedure cell present now so will leave them alone as hopefully there are enough drones about now. Shame about the weather this coming week. Other doing ok. Both pretty calm although the one with the SC cell not as calm. Both Jolanta lines although there seems to be some variation between her lines in terms of temperament. Really like the 8s for overwintering though.

Thank you jenkinsbrynmair.

It’s good to be back.
Life’s been too hectic over the last couple of years, to get hooked into the forum.
But now I’m half retired I have time to be social.
And as a sign of that, I’ll be paying a fleeting visit to the Convention tomorrow.
Might see you there.

A
I won't be there this year, nothing there to pique my interest, and I've a lot on, both in work, and with the family so Icouldn't justify disappearing for two days twice in one week. if I had known you were going I might have changed my mind

I won't be there this year, nothing there to pique my interest, and I've a lot on, both in work, and with the family so Icouldn't justify disappearing for two days twice in one week. if I had known you were going I might have changed my mind
season 1 spark of rebellion part ii GIF by Star Wars

Welcome back Dusty, nice to see you posting again.

Prepared another couple of hives ready to go to new homes on the weekend, they will need supers as soon as they get home.
Plenty of Dandelion activity, need to get back with supers for most of the colonies at the farm as they are bursting. Swapped some doubles around and hived up some double nucs, the Amm nucs need full hives. Here's hoping we keep the sun for a while.

Glorious day today. New queen added to the queen less hive 🤞. Added a super and qx to two. Disappointed to find wax moth damage to some of the frames in the supers. Did so much work on them going into winter, freezer first, sprayed with Dipel . Put into the supers which had been torched. Wrapped in cling film with newspaper in between, and still they managed to destroy!!!!!! Saw four of the queen's. Thoroughly enjoyed

Glorious day today. New queen added to the queen less hive 🤞. Added a super and qx to two. Disappointed to find wax moth damage to some of the frames in the supers. Did so much work on them going into winter, freezer first, sprayed with Dipel . Put into the supers which had been torched. Wrapped in cling film with newspaper in between, and still they managed to destroy!!!!!! Saw four of the queen's. Thoroughly enjoyed
I use sulphur and never had a problem with wax moth

Latest posts

Back