What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar experience yesterday when checking and topping up fondant, thankfully I had my bee jacket on but got stung through my jeans. I think generally the bees are more defensive in the winter.
When swapping fondant tubs or bags for new one’s how do forum members get the bees out of the old fondant tub/bag? Giving it a shake seems to cause a bigger surge of bee’s moving up. I seem to end up with cross bee’s in the space outside the tub which gets covered with the insulation lid blocking them in, this is the time there are more risk of stings. Maybe using smoker is the answer?
I don’t fill my containers right to the top, I leave about 15mm empty from the rim. Then when I lift the empty one off I tap it face to face with the new container. The majority of the bees are shaken into the new fondant and I swiftly put it back on the CB. It’s not perfect but it gets most of the bees.

Like @Newbeeneil I leave a bee space at the top of the tub. I do light a smoker, lift the side of the empty tub a little, puff smoke in and wait whilst most of the bees go into the hive. A quick lift off of the old tub and put the new one on, over the bees, then blow any stragglers off the crown board over the front of the hive. They go straight in and I have no issues. Any bees in the tub are gently evicted by tapping the tub over the edge of the front of the hive. They also go in the entrance quickly.

Yesterday I decided not to bother with the smoker for a single colony and (as I should have expected) ended up needing it. Lots of bees came out to have a look around when I removed the tub. I went and got the smoker, they were still mooching about, a quick couple of puffs and they went in.

Thanks for sharing your methods, everyday’s a school day 🧐 I’ll give them a go

I checked my main apiary yesterday in the warm sunshine and watched most hives being very active. One had no bees flying so I hefted it. It had hefted ok last week but now it was light but didn’t seem desperate so I thought I would crack the CB for a peek.
The box was solid with dead bees and some brood but not a scrap of food!
I suppose they had just got too big too quick!
Sad 😢

Had a quick lift of the roofs and decided with the weather looking a bit colder, decided to put a small fondant block on 2 of the Hives. Whip em off and put 'em on 30 second job. Lifted the empty container off and up they came, legged it back to the house to get a smock on, went back and both hives were up at the veil and not at all happy. Had one sting on my hand, and quickly put the fondant on, roofs on and did a military retreat. Picked out 10 stings out of the smock.

They've been fine and placid every time I've looked at them, just hoping it was the weather. Nothing on the floors etc to suggest queens have failed. Who knows, I'll find out in a few weeks time.
Made that mistake last year.
Just open it up, put fondant in and go.
I had done it a couple of times no problem.
30 seconds is how long it takes.
First colony no problems, second colony went for me big time.
Ended up with about 12 stings on my arms and back of neck.
Was quite ill for a few days as a result.
Suit up !

Just watched, lovely buzz as I walked down the garden path, quite a few queen bumbles warming and foraging on the crocus

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_134636762.TS.mp4
    20.3 MB
  • PXL_20240220_134854288.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240220_134854288.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Checked through my drawn supers for wax moth.

As I don't use a QE until the end of the season they can have had brood in them. (Probably why I don't win at showing.) Think this is just mouldy pollen. Nothing wriggling or flapping.

DSCF20240221-03-small.jpg

Checked 10 of mine today all bar 1 ok (if a little light for my liking) The problem hive looks to have nosema as there was poo all over the frames. There were about 100 bees still alive in there but I blocked it up anyway to stop it being robbed out.I'm planning on binning the frames and scorching the boxes,i'm guessing they will be safe for re-use?

Wow, can they starve that quickly or are they already on the light side?
once the spring buildup starts in earnest, you have an ever expanding brood nest and colony, also the need to increase overall hive temperature for brood rearing so a rapidly increasing demand for food and no forage to speak of out there, I've seen powerful colonies starve out in a matter of days

once the spring buildup starts in earnest, you have an ever expanding brood nest and colony, also the need to increase overall hive temperature for brood rearing so a rapidly increasing demand for food and no forage to speak of out there, I've seen powerful colonies starve out in a matter of days
On this theme would you ever consider giving them more space, along with food, early?

Double decker nuc, spare extension available, rapidly growing colony from good starting point? Probably counterproductive in terms of temperature maintenance, not warm enough to draw comb etc... but just a thought!

Latest posts

Back