What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is, it’s in the grounds of a TB sanatorium built in the early 20th century. It closed in 2012 and has been turned into very high class apartments. They have also built many houses in the grounds and are about to build another 54 apartments in 3 new blocks.
The hives are on what is called “the meadow” but is almost entirely covered in gorse.
Would that be King George V :unsure: ?

Sorry...yes that's what I meant... KEVII, my Roman is rubbish !
Been there several times in the past, great location for the bees.
No just your Roman, your alphabet ain't too good :)

I thought it would be a good place but in the 3 years I've had bees there they don't seem to produce much hence the reason I'm putting some more on site as the "locals" in the posh apartments seem to lap up the honey and I can't produce enough for them.

Haha...true !
A massive site...you could probably put all your hives there, and still have room for hundreds more if you wanted.

These girls had eaten through the 3 tubs I added at the start of January! Weather here has been ridiculously mild.
Yes, I think if folks don’t keep on top of feed availability, colonies will be under threat, as brood rearing will generate more mouths to feed.
Mine are getting through a lot of fondant this year too. As they are garden based it’s easy for me to keep an eye on them and top up as required.

just be mindful - just because they're hoovering up the fondant, it doesn't mean they've run out of stores, a lot of the time they will live off the readily available food (fondant) and leave the stores they have in the comb for 'emergencies' don't swallow the oft repeated myth that bees will only use the fondant after they've depleted their winter stores.

just be mindful - just because they're hoovering up the fondant, it doesn't mean they've run out of stores, a lot of the time they will live off the readily available food (fondant) and leave the stores they have in the comb for 'emergencies' don't swallow the oft repeated myth that bees will only use the fondant after they've depleted their winter stores.
Noted. The hive was pretty light though so took the sensible option.

13deg here today. Watched the bees for a little bit. Good to see plenty of activity as there was a couple of them I was worried about as not seen many bees coming and going over winter.

Attachments

• IMG_3132.mov
    44.5 MB
13deg here today. Watched the bees for a little bit. Good to see plenty of activity as there was a couple of them I was worried about as not seen many bees coming and going over winter.
Make sure it isn't the strong hives robbing out the ones that you hadn't seen movement in. Best way is yo listen after dusk to make sure there is activity inside.

Make sure it isn't the strong hives robbing out the ones that you hadn't seen movement in. Best way is yo listen after dusk to make sure there is activity inside.
Good idea. I’ll check later tonight.

Been busy reorganising the new apiary over the last couple of days. I've now taken over the chicken's area of the garden giving me much more room. The last chicken died a couple of months ago, and we'd already decided at the start of last year not to get any more. I really hated having to keep them shut in a covered run for half the year rather than letting them free range thanks to the avian flu housing orders.
The new apiary has been cleared of weeds and dug over ready to be seeded with grasses and wildflowers in a few weeks and the hives have been re-sited on their new stands and the super stacks moved to new slabs. I've even cleaned and re-organised the bee shed again.
Ready and waiting for the spring! :)

Speedwell, deadnettle, chickweed - mostly. Hazels are ending " dusting" and bees seems find some nectar on meadow and surrounding forest. Nice day overall today - some around 12C. Couple days ago first cornel flowers seen, today not much more.. If weather behave there will be nectar from cornel..

Been busy reorganising the new apiary over the last couple of days. I've now taken over the chicken's area of the garden giving me much more room. The last chicken died a couple of months ago, and we'd already decided at the start of last year not to get any more. I really hated having to keep them shut in a covered run for half the year rather than letting them free range thanks to the avian flu housing orders.
The new apiary has been cleared of weeds and dug over ready to be seeded with grasses and wildflowers in a few weeks and the hives have been re-sited on their new stands and the super stacks moved to new slabs. I've even cleaned and re-organised the bee shed again.
Ready and waiting for the spring! :)
Impressive!

had the contractors in - some work the council did at the workshops near the home apiary means that in the winter now, whenever there's rain I have two springs in the bund behind the hedge, and a sparkling stream running underneath the hives and half the stands sitting in a foot deep lake.
Two winters (or is it three - when was covid?) of this has shown that the oft chanted 'damp kills bees not cold can comfortably sit with the other beekeeping myths, but I finally chivvy the council up enough to admit liability and offer mitigationfb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Latest posts

Back