What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today mixed weather.. Mostly sunny but with periods of unpleasant wind.. Bees out all over the place when was warm. Snowdrops, primroses, violets, dead nettle are blooming.. Even saw butterflies on couple odd dandelion flowers.. Bumble bees and violet carpenter bees also flying around.. Hazels are still dusting at large, our clothes are painted also yellow ( while pruning it transfers onto clothes).. Few more days of warmer and dry weather remain..

Not a lot really ... it hissed down with rain this morning and then for a glorious hour or two the sun came out around lunchtime and I stood in the middle of my little apiary gloating as all 7 colonies (even the Nuc that I was starting to worry about) were flying like it was a summer's day ...Baskets full of yellow and brown pollen coming in (crocus and snowdrop or gorze - plenty about around me). Hellabores are in flower - not sure what colour pollen they have. Spring is just around the corner ... but I hefted them all just to be sure - bees more interested in getting out and about than me. Glad to see they have all come through (so far - I'm not complacent). Quite a few winter losses being talked about at our association meeting last week.

Checked on the last surviving nuc in the garden apiary - the bees were busy bringing in yellow pollen and have nearly finished the fondant so added another tub full above the feeder hole. Bees very calm and inquisitive. Heading to the out apiary later.

Do they make a big impact?
I suppose if there are lots, they do.
Beautiful birds, though
For a couple of years the twitchers have gone into a frenzy because a group of bee eaters nested in North Norfolk. Their site is about four miles from my apiary. My hope is that these "rarities" will decide that the Med is a better place.

Hefted and checked my hives today - one had completely filled a couple of empty fondant containers (had plenty in a week or two ago) with brace comb. Lots of pollen coming in and lots of flying bees. I assume I shouldn't read too much into the brace comb building in terms of space etc? Thanks

Hefted and checked my hives today - one had completely filled a couple of empty fondant containers (had plenty in a week or two ago) with brace comb. Lots of pollen coming in and lots of flying bees. I assume I shouldn't read too much into the brace comb building in terms of space etc? Thanks
If they are building comb it's probably because they were looking for somewhere to store the fondant ..begs the question... did they need feeding ?

Had a look at mine today ( external only!) all flying very well for the first time this spring and bits of pollen going in 1 or 2. Took 37 into winter and so far they're all still alive and kicking. Starting to panic about how i'm going to manage once they start thinking about swarming in just around 8 weeks time which seems to be getting earlier every year. Off to knock some frames up.

Last edited:
Been on our rounds today moving nucs and usual stuff.
Some one took a few photos of me, im a bit peed of because I left my wheelys out side all night so I’ve been trudging around with wet feet since 8 IMG_2734.jpegIMG_2732.jpeg

Latest posts

Back