What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped over to the apiary to check on stores/activity...all quiet at the entrances, just one little head popped out of the nuc to greet me. Checked fondant levels ( in take-away containers embedded in insulation above the crown boards). Lots of activity in the containers...with not a hint of the previous fondant remaining...so did a rapid replacement with fresh fondant, and now hoping all will be well and that store levels are still at acceptable levels 🤞. Met office forecasting 14*C by the end of the week, so activity levels increasing.

Checked out the 32 colonies in my main apiary lots of activity in almost all hives. one showing no sign of activity so I cracked the crown board to be greeted by a very large cluster so I swiftly put them back to bed.
The only other quiet one was no longer :cry:. The cluster was tucked against one wall and had starved while there were 2-3 full frames of stores against the other wall. They must have got isolated during the recent cold snap.
The good news is that a couple of 3 frame nucs I made up in autumn to keep old queens are going really well. I will have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't out grown their space!

While skiing by my hives yesterday evening, I noticed a few bees who had taken advantage of the sunny afternoon to do a cleansing flight, but hadn't made it back. I was surprised they even attempted a flight as it was about -6C. Decided to try a "wake-up" as I call them (I stole that term from a friend who's an EMS worker and does "wake-ups" regularly these days on folks who have OD'd...very tragic.). Back to the bees: Ran into the house for a jar and scooped them up. Gave them some sugar and waited to see if any were still alive; kept them inside overnight. Only 4 (out of about 30?) started moving. Popped these tough little girls back in the front entrance of the hive this morning., wishing them luck!

While skiing by my hives yesterday evening, I noticed a few bees who had taken advantage of the sunny afternoon to do a cleansing flight, but hadn't made it back. I was surprised they even attempted a flight as it was about -6C. Decided to try a "wake-up" as I call them (I stole that term from a friend who's an EMS worker and does "wake-ups" regularly these days on folks who have OD'd...very tragic.). Back to the bees: Ran into the house for a jar and scooped them up. Gave them some sugar and waited to see if any were still alive; kept them inside overnight. Only 4 (out of about 30?) started moving. Popped these tough little girls back in the front entrance of the hive this morning., wishing them luck!
wish I was skiing past my hives we would welcome some snow up on the hills of south Shropshire

Today in part of a day when was the warmest bees were on hazels, catkins are " dusting" at large.. Somewhat similar will be for a week, even bit warmer. Seems landing boards will be painted yellow.. We have 1200 hazels in orchard at their disposal and thousands more wild ones around. Who needs pollen patties :cool:

Apparent temperature of minus 20c this morning on top of the mountain here in Tas. That's why people can die bushwalking here. It's the middle of summer here of course.
Perth in Western Australia was +45c yesterday. Heat stroke time there.
I think I'd prefer -20C to +45C!!!

I think I'd prefer -20C to +45C!!!
Too true. I've been to Sweden on a dog sledding safari. At one night's camp it was so cold you could do the hot-coffee-in-the-air trick but we were comfortable properly togged up. A seven day Sahara Desert hike at 40C was almost too much and had me in quiet tears on more than one occasion. I've always liked a challenge on my forays abroad and thoroughly recommended them to anybody wanting to stretch themselves but that desert trip was absolutely awful...never again

Too true. I've been to Sweden on a dog sledding safari. At one night's camp it was so cold you could do the hot-coffee-in-the-air trick but we were comfortable properly togged up. A seven day Sahara Desert hike at 40C was almost too much and had me in quiet tears on more than one occasion. I've always liked a challenge on my forays abroad and thoroughly recommended them to anybody wanting to stretch themselves but that desert trip was absolutely awful...never again
Marathon des Sables? ;)

Anybody doing that is mad! Some sort of inability to exist without high levels of circulating cortisone and endorphins
I've not done it but maybe one day... Some friends of mine have done it. They tried to cross the finish line together but seemingly one crossed the start line a few seconds earlier so was placed ahead of the other who's never let them forget it!

I've not done it but maybe one day... Some friends of mine have done it. They tried to cross the finish line together but seemingly one crossed the start line a few seconds earlier so was placed ahead of the other who's never let them forget it!

I used to work with someone who did it. He used to run all over the place. He lived half a dozen miles or so east of Winchester and would run there and back to go to the shops, or get his wife to drive the children to an athletics meet in Southampton whilst he ran down and met them there.

James

Went to check my bees this morning (double decker paynes nuc) - really pleasing to see a lot of activity at the hive entrance, quite a bit of pollen coming in, too. Any thoughts on what this might be at this time of year? Bees covering all frames when I looked through the clear crown board.
Still have plenty of weight. Implies the queen is starting to get going which is good.

Went to check my bees this morning (double decker paynes nuc) - really pleasing to see a lot of activity at the hive entrance, quite a bit of pollen coming in, too. Any thoughts on what this might be at this time of year? Bees covering all frames when I looked through the clear crown board.
Still have plenty of weight. Implies the queen is starting to get going which is good.
Quite a few possibilities:
Snowdrop, Crocus, Hellibore, Hazel, Primrose, Very early Daffs. Have a look around, what’s flowering near your apiary?

Added a super of stores to a single brood colony instead of feeding fondant a week ago and they are well into it and have built braise comb this colony have been huge all winter and buggers really.
Weighed 20 nucs
Fed fondant
Put a single brood into a nuc which I thought was dead and have put them in the barn.
4 dead colony’s
Umm got 160 brood frames to boil up and some super frames ,painting, woodworking to do and more.

Can’t wait for the 24th of feb at Telford it will soon be here .

14c down of the hills today barmy!

Last edited:
put some snap grommets in my smock hat .might help with air flow.
put slide in draw bottom of paynes mod 8 frame nuc.see how it gos..
left bottom mesh in ..pic of box not to good .i can slide some ply in out .

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Today.. On cat4 picture in the valley is the air pollution which is coming from the west.. This time passing by.. but when wind comes from that direction it lifts it uphill, creepy view..

Attachments

• cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 1
  • cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 1
  • cat4.jpg
    cat4.jpg