What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's something I suppose. What was the history of it in relation to brood and stores- out of interest?
Swarm from roughly May. Had half a shallow of honey from them so not masses but had been in a good location, winter prep similar to others although no syrup as they didn't seem to need it, had had fondant. Suspect as they were a large colony I just misjudged stores requirements. Also realised I'd missed an open floor too, trying to switch all across to solid or open with a board in.

Was sad- first proper colony lost this winter. Annoyed at myself as this was a single hive at an out apiary and I had left it longer than elsewhere between checks so entirely my fault.

View attachment 38749
That’s really sad, a horrible sight. I’ve heard, through the local BKA, of several losses in my area. I think the mild weather and bee activity, has led to unusual food consumption?

Swarm from roughly May. Had half a shallow of honey from them so not masses but had been in a good location, winter prep similar to others although no syrup as they didn't seem to need it, had had fondant. Suspect as they were a large colony I just misjudged stores requirements. Also realised I'd missed an open floor too, trying to switch all across to solid or open with a board in.
I don't think the mesh floor makes any difference - some colonies die out no matter what you do. Sad, but put it behind you and move on.

That’s really sad, a horrible sight. I’ve heard, through the local BKA, of several losses in my area. I think the mild weather and bee activity, has led to unusual food consumption?

I don't think the mesh floor makes any difference - some colonies die out no matter what you do. Sad, but put it behind you and move on.
I think it's just that time of year. I'm not sure it's recent weather as much as the mild start to the winter that affects food consumption
, still not an excuse- it's a rookie error on my part and main thing is as Philip says, learn from it and move on. Mesh floor may be a red herring but still annoying to have missed it.

Bees flying today in numbers for the first time this year, but mainly two inner hives that are last year's splits from the outer ones. All are healthy as judged from the transparent crown boards and have been fed in the last few days but the inner ones have been taking more feed than the others.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.MOV
    11.2 MB
Finally managed to get to the apiary at the range (after clearing away three trees that had been blown over in the last few storms, so they finally get their midwinter vape.
all colonies active and still felt almost nailed down so that's it for this lot until St David's day!
Although if we get a proper storm I may have to go up before then as I suspect another big tree will have given up on staying vertical

fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Nice sunny weather around 10C, bees are flying around. Dead nettle, hazels, etc.. Today just walking around with dogs, didn't disturb the bees.. Similar weather will be for a whole next week ( night mild minus temps, day plus temps 8-12C)..

Put some fondant on 7 of 12 hives that seemed a bit light yesterday - takeaway container full of fondant with holes in the bottom placed in a hole cut in a hive-sized square of kingspan, the insulated roof back on top. Not that much fondant but easy to top up as they are in my garden.

Finally managed to get to the apiary at the range (after clearing away three trees that had been blown over in the last few storms, so they finally get their midwinter vape.
all colonies active and still felt almost nailed down so that's it for this lot until St David's day!
Although if we get a proper storm I may have to go up before then as I suspect another big tree will have given up on staying vertical

View attachment 38755View attachment 38756View attachment 38757
That looks like quite an old Huski saw??, it’s a long time since that grey top was used, is it a 61 by any chance??.

That looks like quite an old Huski saw??, it’s a long time since that grey top was used, is it a 61 by any chance??.
Yes it is a 61- an ebay bargin I bought over 16 years ago when I was doing a lot of river repair work, with a 22" bar it's a bit of a beast and a bit big and heavy for the uses it's needed for nowadays, but it goes like a dream and for how much work I have for a chainsaw nowadays I can't really justify the expense of an upgrade to a lighter and smaller machine.

Last edited:
Yes it is a 61- an ebay bargin I bought over 16 years ago when I was doing a lot of river repair work, with a 22" bar it's a bit of a beast and a bit big and heavy for the uses it's needed for nowadays, but it goes like a dream and for how much work I have for a chainsaw nowadays I can't really justify the expense of an upgrade to a lighter and smaller machine.

I have a similar beastie of the Stihl variety that has been consigned to the roofspace of the workshop for many years. It was just too knackering to work with for any length of time. These days I mostly stick to a 14" saw with mod cons such as a chain brake.

I have however recently come across the concept of the "Alaskan Saw Mill" and I'm quite tempted to dig out the monster once more and put it to use cutting tree trunks up into planks. Hardly matters if it doesn't have all the modern features in that setup.

James

I have a similar beastie of the Stihl variety that has been consigned to the roofspace of the workshop for many years. It was just too knackering to work with for any length of time. These days I mostly stick to a 14" saw with mod cons such as a chain brake.

I have however recently come across the concept of the "Alaskan Saw Mill" and I'm quite tempted to dig out the monster once more and put it to use cutting tree trunks up into planks. Hardly matters if it doesn't have all the modern features in that setup.

James
Have a look a Logosol

Latest posts

Back