What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four year old queen needed an artificial swarm today. I've been expecting a supercedure but no. Hasn't swarmed for 3 years, when I took her on.
Still one of my biggest colonies.

Bee inspector suggested yesterday that I might think of requeening given their temper. You get used to an abusive relationship. :LOL:

I got a call from a roofing company working on a local church yesterday. My immediate thought was they want me to cut out bees from the roof but that wasn’t the case.
One of their guys had been stung while working on the scaffolding by a bee from an abandoned hive deep in the undergrowth below the scaffolding and they had permission to remove it!
So this morning at 6 saw me cutting back all the undergrowth, strapping the hive up and removing it to my isolation apiary.
I tried to prise the roof off without success so I figure I’ll leave it untoice got more time.
img_2335-jpeg.36816
IMG_2334.jpegIMG_2669.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 246
I got a call from a roofing company working on a local church yesterday. My immediate thought was they want me to cut out bees from the roof but that wasn’t the case.
One of their guys had been stung while working on the scaffolding by a bee from an abandoned hive deep in the undergrowth below the scaffolding and they had permission to remove it!
So this morning at 6 saw me cutting back all the undergrowth, strapping the hive up and removing it to my isolation apiary.
I tried to prise the roof off without success so I figure I’ll leave it untoice got more time.
img_2335-jpeg.36816
View attachment 36817View attachment 36818
Keep us updated on that one, week be interested to see inside

Two weeks away!!!!!! Hopefully gave them all they needed before we left, can't wait to get in this weekend, weather permitting.
At this time of the year, after two weeks away, I hope you have some bees left to inspect ! I'd be saying a few prayers to the great bee God if I was you ...
:nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::sifone::sifone:

Well, you can guess what has happened here - hive stand had collapsed shortly after my last visit about a week ago. The Q has evidently gone, and the Q cells are either like this, or horizontal - now that the hive has been reassembled. I chose to leave one of the horizontal ones, and destroy these. I've no idea whether it would have been better to leave one of these, or the horizontal one? Or should I just not bother, and put a new Q in the hive (even though, despite their trauma, they were very calm)?

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_152531800.jpg
    IMG_20230701_152531800.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Quick check on a swarm I housed 14 days ago… found & marked Queen, laying nicely capped brood present, best get another hive ready as looks like might out gro NUC quickly.

Checked the ones that needed checking. A couple of queens strolling around as if they owned the place. Swarm queen dabbed. Everybody quiet. Some supers off. Good day.

After a chaotic June where I thought I saw a swarm after not seeing any QCs other than a couple of central ones ai assumed were supersedure cells, but no sign or sound of any swarm anywhere when I went looking and then both hives were broodless, all order is restored and all three hives are now full of BIAS, happy and lively. Supers on and being filled on two and the other, a wild colony captured when their tree home fell down, are filling up theiIMG_6961.jpegIMG_6956.jpegIMG_6959.jpegIMG_6958.jpegIMG_6960.jpegbrood frames nicely.

So, I turned my attention to my kit and after ordering a load of stuff from the Maisiemore sale, decided I needed a bee shed where I could have everything rather than scratching around in the garage full of my boyfriend’s crap, sorry agricultural memorabilia and essential things (that never get used) and transformed a chicken house that my hens showed no interest in whatsoever, into a bee shed. Before and after pictures below. Also made some additional nest boxes for my hens out of some old bedside cabinets I found at the tip. A good day’s work 😁

This happened 'In the Apiary', but it didn't happen today, or even yesterday.
This event occurred some years ago at a time when I had three or four flourishing hives, plus the large colony of bees living behind the weather boarding by our front door porch.

Our daughter, her husband and their two children (11 and 8 or thereabouts) had come to visit us for the day. Needless to say, the 'mid afternoon snack' was honey sandwiches.

"Home-made Honey." commented the Victualing Officer as she offered each of the grandchildren a plate of honey sandwiches.

Ella, the eldest looked at me curiously. "How did you get the honey out the wall?" she asked. "The bees were still there when we arrived.

I shook my head. "We have bees in hives too. Finish you sandwiches and I'll show you."

Ella quickly wolfed down her snack and then followed me out to the part of our garden where there were several hives, all facing south. Three or four of the hives were fully occupied and a constant stream of bees could be seen heading or returning from a southerly direction. There was a tall Yew hedge and lots of trees to the north so nobody flew in that direction (except the occasional daft one).

As soon as Ella saw the myriads of flying bees she gave a gasp and hung back behind me.

"I don't want them to sting me." she said in a worried voice. I've been stung a few times and it swells up and itches for ages.

"I don't think they will worry you today." I explained. "But if one comes over to look at you, just let it fly around to inspect you. Don't wave your hands or arms about. That is threatening them and they don't like that. Always make calm, slow movements when you are near bees. If one starts buzzing rapidly in front of your face, darting backwards and forwards quickly, just turn round and immediately walk away. She's warning you to keep away from her hive. If you ignore her warnings and stay there, she will sting you. Then others will smell the sting and come and help her drive you away with more stings!"

Ella followed me closer to the hives. Her initial trepidation was giving way to her natural curiosity. Within a few minutes both of us were standing between flight lines of busy bees leaving or arriving at the hives. I explained a little about what the bees were doing and Ella began to ask more questions.

"I thought they would try to sting us as soon as we were near to them." Ella commented in surprise. "I was ready to run away!"

"These bees are quite docile normally." I said. "We have several oil-seed rape fields in full flower close by at present so the bees are very, very busy there. We most certainly wouldn't be able to stand here like this when the oil-seed flowers have just died off." I told her. "When any nectar flow suddenly stops, the bees always get extremely defensive of the honey stocks they have already collected in their larder. They will remain like that until they find another nectar flow of something else to take their attention." I explained. "They will then be docile again." I added.

I showed Ella a 'trick' that old Albert Lewis (the local beekeeper who had taught and guided me) had once demonstrated. I stood directly in front of a hive, facing it for about fifteen to twenty seconds. All the bees leaving the hive simply flew round me and hurried off back to the bright yellow fields nearby. But when I moved away to one side, I had caused quite a 'traffic jam'. A cloud of incoming bees was waiting behind me and they all now quickly landed on the alighting board together when I had moved away from their flight path.

Ella was fascinated. She tried it too and giggled when she stepped aside to see another large crowd of bees immediately swoop down to land on the alighting board.

I moved to kneel at the side of a hive and suggested to Ella that she knelt at the other side. I slowly and carefully placed my hand on the alighting board. Within a few seconds, bees were landing on my hand and arm, grooming and tidying themselves in order to be presentable before stepping off into the hive to deliver their shopping to the house bees. I showed Ella the bright yellow pollen that some of the bees were carrying and explained that some bees collected pollen and carried it on their hairy back legs while others brought in nectar from flowers in a special 'honey stomach'. The nectar would then be slowly turned into honey by the house bees once it was stored in the hive.

Ella was enthralled and carefully extended her hand on to the alighting board to mimic mine. "She giggled happily and chatted to the bees when they began landing on her hand.

We stayed there for several minutes with just Ella's hand on the alighting board, covered with bees. Eventually I said "We'd better go back indoors. I think Nanny has some dessert for you." Reluctantly, Ella slowly withdrew her hand a little way and waited for the bees to depart before we walked back to the house.

A little later Ella was noticeably absent. Her mother went out to look for her. A few minutes later she returned. "Come and see what you have done to your granddaughter." she said to me in a despairing voice. We all followed down the garden to see a grinning Ella sitting next to a hive again, with bees crawling all over her hand and arm as she rested it on the alighting board. I had to go and get my camera.

"I'm going to keep bees when I'm older." announced Ella happily.

Of course, the next time Ella visited us she soon asked if it was okay for her to go and see the bees again.

"Just make sure they are happy for you to be there." I reminded her "First, just stand near to a hive for a few minutes. If somebody comes buzzing around you, darting quickly backwards and forwards near your face, remember, don't wave your hands or arms. Just turn your head around immediately and walk away. The bee is simply telling you that they don't want you around their hive just at the moment."

Twenty minutes later we found Ella sitting next to a beehive and happily chatting quietly again to the clusters of bees that were landing on her hand and arm before disappearing off into the hive.

Thank you for reading this far.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.

Bees on the hand.jpg

Ella and the Bees.jpeg

Last edited:
After a chaotic June where I thought I saw a swarm after not seeing any QCs other than a couple of central ones ai assumed were supersedure cells, but no sign or sound of any swarm anywhere when I went looking and then both hives were broodless, all order is restored and all three hives are now full of BIAS, happy and lively. Supers on and being filled on two and the other, a wild colony captured when their tree home fell down, are filling up theiView attachment 36830View attachment 36831View attachment 36832View attachment 36833View attachment 36834brood frames nicely.

So, I turned my attention to my kit and after ordering a load of stuff from the Maisiemore sale, decided I needed a bee shed where I could have everything rather than scratching around in the garage full of my boyfriend’s crap, sorry agricultural memorabilia and essential things (that never get used) and transformed a chicken house that my hens showed no interest in whatsoever, into a bee shed. Before and after pictures below. Also made some additional nest boxes for my hens out of some old bedside cabinets I found at the tip. A good day’s work 😁
If my beeshed was that tidy I wouldn't be able to find anything!!

This happened 'In the Apiary', but it didn't happen today, or even yesterday.
This event occurred some years ago at a time when I had three or four flourishing hives, plus the large colony of bees living behind the weather boarding by our front door porch.

Our daughter, her husband and their two children (11 and 8 or thereabouts) had come to visit us for the day. Needless to say, the 'mid afternoon snack' was honey sandwiches.

"Home-made Honey." commented the Victualing Officer as she offered each of the grandchildren a plate of honey sandwiches.

Ella, the eldest looked at me curiously. "How did you get the honey out the wall?" she asked. "The bees were still there when we arrived.

I shook my head. "We have bees in hives too. Finish you sandwiches and I'll show you."

Ella quickly wolfed down her snack and then followed me out to the part of our garden where there were several hives, all facing south. Three or four of the hives were fully occupied and a constant stream of bees could be seen heading or returning from a southerly direction. There was a tall Yew hedge and lots of trees to the north so nobody flew in that direction (except the occasional daft one).

As soon as Ella saw the myriads of flying bees she gave a gasp and hung back behind me.

"I don't want them to sting me." she said in a worried voice. I've been stung a few times and it swells up and itches for ages.

"I don't think they will worry you today." I explained. "But if one comes over to look at you, just let it fly around to inspect you. Don't wave your hands or arms about. That is threatening them and they don't like that. Always make calm, slow movements when you are near bees. If one starts buzzing rapidly in front of your face, darting backwards and forwards quickly, just turn round and immediately walk away. She's warning you to keep away from her hive. If you ignore her warnings and stay there, she will sting you. Then others will smell the sting and come and help her drive you away with more stings!"

Ella followed me closer to the hives. Her initial trepidation was giving way to her natural curiosity. Within a few minutes both of us were standing between flight lines of busy bees leaving or arriving at the hives. I explained a little about what the bees were doing and Ella began to ask more questions.

"I thought they would try to sting us as soon as we were near to them." Ella commented in surprise. "I was ready to run away!"

"These bees are quite docile normally." I said. "We have several oil-seed rape fields in full flower close by at present so the bees are very, very busy there. We most certainly wouldn't be able to stand here like this when the oil-seed flowers have just died off." I told her. "When any nectar flow suddenly stops, the bees always get extremely defensive of the honey stocks they have already collected in their larder. They will remain like that until they find another nectar flow of something else to take their attention." I explained. "They will then be docile again." I added.

I showed Ella a 'trick' that old Albert Lewis (the local beekeeper who had taught and guided me) had once demonstrated. I stood directly in front of a hive, facing it for about fifteen to twenty seconds. All the bees leaving the hive simply flew round me and hurried off back to the bright yellow fields nearby. But when I moved away to one side, I had caused quite a 'traffic jam'. A cloud of incoming bees was waiting behind me and they all now quickly landed on the alighting board together when I had moved away from their flight path.

Ella was fascinated. She tried it too and giggled when she stepped aside to see another large crowd of bees immediately swoop down to land on the alighting board.

I moved to kneel at the side of a hive and suggested to Ella that she knelt at the other side. I slowly and carefully placed my hand on the alighting board. Within a few seconds, bees were landing on my hand and arm, grooming and tidying themselves in order to be presentable before stepping off into the hive to deliver their shopping to the house bees. I showed Ella the bright yellow pollen that some of the bees were carrying and explained that some bees collected pollen and carried it on their hairy back legs while others brought in nectar from flowers in a special 'honey stomach'. The nectar would then be slowly turned into honey by the house bees once it was stored in the hive.

Ella was enthralled and carefully extended her hand on to the alighting board to mimic mine. "She giggled happily and chatted to the bees when they began landing on her hand.

We stayed there for several minutes with just Ella's hand on the alighting board, covered with bees. Eventually I said "We'd better go back indoors. I think Nanny has some dessert for you." Reluctantly, Ella slowly withdrew her hand a little way and waited for the bees to depart before we walked back to the house.

A little later Ella was noticeably absent. Her mother went out to look for her. A few minutes later she returned. "Come and see what you have done to your granddaughter." she said to me in a despairing voice. We all followed down the garden to see a grinning Ella sitting next to a hive again, with bees crawling all over her hand and arm as she rested it on the alighting board. I had to go and get my camera.

"I'm going to keep bees when I'm older." announced Ella happily.

Of course, the next time Ella visited us she soon asked if it was okay for her to go and see the bees again.

"Just make sure they are happy for you to be there." I reminded her "First, just stand near to a hive for a few minutes. If somebody comes buzzing around you, darting quickly backwards and forwards near your face, remember, don't wave your hands or arms. Just turn your head around immediately and walk away. The bee is simply telling you that they don't want you around their hive just at the moment."

Twenty minutes later we found Ella sitting next to a beehive and happily chatting quietly again to the clusters of bees that were landing on her hand and arm before disappearing off into the hive.

Thank you for reading this far.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36838
Lovely story! 👍

Latest posts

Back