What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good to know as was worried what to do if I can’t find the queen.

Hi. I’m about to do a demaree for the first time. I assume the reason you shook them all out into the bottom box was because you couldn’t find the queen ?

Exactly so. The frames were absolutely covered with bees and I reckon I'd probably still be looking for the first if I'd actually tried. Although it created much more of a kerfuffle it was just easier to give the frames a firm shake and then check the ones that managed to hang on.

If so is it guaranteed that the nurse bees will find their way back up to the top box to look after the brood ?

My understanding is that the nurse bees will smell the brood and be back up there like a shot.

It may have been JBM who suggested that it's sometimes useful to take a spare roof when inspecting or doing manipulations. I'd definitely recommend it in this instance. Or something else you can stand boxes on if you don't have a spare roof. It made life much easier when I was going through the "Where do I put this down so that the queen doesn't end up where I don't want her if she's not where I think she is?" decisions.

James

Did a demaree on three double-brood colonies. My first ever. What chaos that was! I think (hope) I've caught them just in time. The brood boxes were fit to bust and I basically had to shake the bees off all the frames into the bottom box one at a time before putting the ones containing brood into a new box which went back on top of one of my new demaree boards above the supers. Actually finding the queen wasn't even remotely an option. Also took the opportunity to replace the existing mesh floors with mesh UFE floors, which I failed to get around to doing at the end of last season.

Took a hit to the chin for my pains, too. A few bees were demonstrating their dissatisfaction with the entire process through the medium of dance on the front of my veil when I negligently leant forward to get a better view of a frame and touched my chin against it. Feels rather a lot like when the anaesthetic hasn't quite worn off after a visit to the dentist at the moment :D

Pleased I got it done today because the forecast for the next few days is somewhat cooler. Still have to go back and check for queen cells obviously. I might do that initially on Sunday just so I have a bit more of a clue how they've reacted.

James
An honest report on real beekeeping...I like it. ;)

I look(ed) after a hive at a friend’s house. Yesterday I went to check on the colony, and they had absconded. Today I learned the family has put the house on the market. Coincidence? I think not.

Then why not open the window, pick her up by the wing and set her free?
I'm not that fond of wasps. A bumblebee? I'd find a glass and a postcard to get her out of the open window again.

(The wasp that was buzzing around after I turned off the light the other evening received a backhand into the corner of the bedroom with a Penguin paperback. I've no time for capture and release.)

Last edited:
Just acquired a hive from someone who doesn't have time for bees anymore, and it was in a state!
I went to take the first frame out and it came apart. No nails!Screenshot_20230420_220407_WhatsApp.jpg
Notice the mixture of Hoffman and unspaced frames in there... The owner had managed to cram in 14 frames!
20230420_140948.jpg
They had also left the varroa board in for over a year by the looks of it. There was an inch of wax moth mess under the mesh floor and larvae tunnelling in the polystyrene.
20230420_145846.jpg
On the plus side, however, it's a very strong colony! Eggs and larvae across both brood boxes, loads of stores and very calm bees. We split the hive into nice new boxes and will fix up the old ones.

The owner *said* they were treated over winter, but just to be sure should I do an alcohol wash or would monitoring drop give me a good enough idea?

Just acquired a hive from someone who doesn't have time for bees anymore, and it was in a state!
I went to take the first frame out and it came apart. No n

The owner *said* they were treated over winter, but just to be sure should I do an alcohol wash or would monitoring drop give me a good enough idea?

Do a sugar roll not an alcohol wash .. gives the same result but does not kill the bees. If you have the kit to do OA by sublimation give them a dose of OA and see what the drop on the board is after they have been treated.

In the last couple of days, I’ve had to split both hive after finding Queen cell. one hive had 7-8 frames of brood the other 8-9 both are packed with bee both have super on. I found both queens and made 3 frame nucs with the queen. I don’t see many people finding Queen cell at the minute so hope iv got this right(first year swarm management) thinking they just run out of room

I'm not that fond of wasps. A bumblebee? I'd find a glass and a postcard to get her out of the open window again.

(The wasp that was buzzing around after I turned off the light the other evening received a backhand into the corner of the bedroom with a Penguin paperback. I've no time for capture and release.)
Like everything they are in decline and if like me you are a gardener they keep the aphids from decimating your plants

one hive had 7-8 frames of brood the other 8-9 both are packed with bee both have super on
A super is no use at all when aiming to avert QCs because it's lack of laying space that triggers them. At 7-9 frames another brood box on each may have done the job, but you'd have had to do that a week ago, at least. What you had were big pumpkin nests crammed into small boxes.

Into the centre of the second brood box put three frames of openish brood; condense the remaining brood beneath it in the lower box and add comb or foundation to fill the boxes. Each week move an undrawn frame or two into the middle of the nest, alternating with drawn comb.

The effect will be to spread the brood in two directions yet retain nest heat, and turn the pumpkin into a rugby ball with room to expand.

Most importantly, you will have given bees work to do and defer the stage they believe they have reached maturity, at which point they are likely to swarm. To achieve that, give regular laying space as well as nectar space, ahead of need.

Thank you Eric that makes perfect sense. Thank you for your time. Yes I think they caught me out built upfaster than I was expecting.

And there ends the best show of dandelions I've seen in years!!! Don't you just love the council!!!!

I was thinking to myself that there appear to be more dandelions out this year than I can recall for some time. The enormous area in the field on the hill opposite us is no longer though. It was cut for silage yesterday.

James

I went to take the first frame out and it came apart. No nails!View attachment 35881
Notice the mixture of Hoffman and unspaced frames in there... The owner had managed to cram in 14 frames!
View attachment 35883
They had also left the varroa board in for over a year by the looks of it. There was an inch of wax moth mess under the mesh floor and larvae tunnelling in the polystyrene.
View attachment 35884
On the plus side, however, it's a very strong colony! Eggs and larvae across both brood boxes, loads of stores and very calm bees. We split the hive into nice new boxes and will fix up the old ones.

Another plus, those frames are fairly new.

Gosh, talk about differences across the country. Here I am in reputedly one of the warmest and sunniest parts of the UK (West Sussex coast) with barely any drone cells and no QCs to speak of and colonies still building!

Latest posts

Back