What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff. I'm hoping to get my newly born son involved in beekeeping in the future. One thing that worries me though is that first time being stung. I probably worry too much but I think I'll chat to the doctor about having an epipen for just in case.
I can remember my first sting, was definitely no older than 4 at the time, they still hurt just as much after all these years, I just dont show it anymore!

Edit: and that first sting was the direct consequence of failing to follow instructions, not much has changed.

Last edited:
Great stuff. I'm hoping to get my newly born son involved in beekeeping in the future. One thing that worries me though is that first time being stung. I probably worry too much but I think I'll chat to the doctor about having an epipen for just in case.
First time being stung isn't a risk for needing an epipen. Any time from the second sting (assuming it's at least a week or two later) is possible. Allergies require prior exposure. Even still it's likely overkill to have an epipen.

Not ideal conditions but needs must and managed to get to six colonies. Sadly 7th is due a Q to emerge soon, not great weather for her. Two more to check over the weekend.

Did a demaree on three double-brood colonies. My first ever. What chaos that was! I think (hope) I've caught them just in time. The brood boxes were fit to bust and I basically had to shake the bees off all the frames into the bottom box one at a time before putting the ones containing brood into a new box which went back on top of one of my new demaree boards above the supers. Actually finding the queen wasn't even remotely an option. Also took the opportunity to replace the existing mesh floors with mesh UFE floors, which I failed to get around to doing at the end of last season.

Took a hit to the chin for my pains, too. A few bees were demonstrating their dissatisfaction with the entire process through the medium of dance on the front of my veil when I negligently leant forward to get a better view of a frame and touched my chin against it. Feels rather a lot like when the anaesthetic hasn't quite worn off after a visit to the dentist at the moment :D

Pleased I got it done today because the forecast for the next few days is somewhat cooler. Still have to go back and check for queen cells obviously. I might do that initially on Sunday just so I have a bit more of a clue how they've reacted.

James
I’ve been doing one every evening since Monday, last night was fun to say the least!
Like you, all on double brood, halfway through the weather took a rather unexpected change,
Temp seemed to drop 5 deg in 5 mins, sun disappeared instantly, and a really cold wind got up, and started spitting with rain, I couldn’t believe it!
The bees were very quick to let me know they weren’t too pleased with what I was doing.
I ended up with my Latex gloves splitting, and didn’t have any time to change them so took a few hits to the wrists,
I’d say it was the most stressful inspection and manipulation I’d ever done!
Still 3 more to go….😆

Sat outside in the garden/apiary with a cigar and beer, letting the chickens enjoy a couple of hours of scratching and pecking. All 3 hives busy despite it feeling cold. Gonna Demaree two of them this weekend unless they are in swarming mode.

Set up two bait hives in the out apiary with some old black comb & lemongrass oil. No decent trees to strap them to so this will have to do. Don’t fancy my chances much though looking at the forecast….
View attachment 35890
A few days of poor weather may well precipitate swarming as soon as the weather improves again.

Not in my apiary but in the local community apiary, the last two jobs have been dealing with people wanting to get rid of their hives (and bees) one due to the beekeeper passing away and his wife detesting and fearing bees, and the other beekeepers going on a year long holiday. Both beekeepers did little or no management and both hives were on their last legs, rotten and all stuck together. One was brood and a half and two supers - all rammed, and the other double brood with the boxes slightly offset from the other.

The bigger hive’s holes were stuffed with foam, strapped in and transported to the apiary, opened up on a really warm day last week and the lovely natured bees flew around whilst we moved the best frames with eggs and brood into a new hive (of course the original hive was a completely different size to ours but the frames just fitted) and they have settled in very well. The other we did last night and resorted to using a spare roof for the floor as the original disintegrated when we tried to pick the whole hive up, foamed up the holes and wrapped it in cardboard and strapped it up and transported it, very slowly and trepidatiously to the apiary where it is now sitting waiting to be decanted into a nice new hive. Pics of both below.

People need to understand that leaving the bees to it makes it very difficult to manage later on if/when they get tired/bored of “beekeeping”! Bees can’t paint or oil the hive you give them and can’t straighten a wonky hive or put straps on in the wind!

Attachments

• 6DFC1216-A6E3-4BB2-98F8-1B2C7825C5D6.jpeg
    6DFC1216-A6E3-4BB2-98F8-1B2C7825C5D6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 373AF507-B13C-48D8-9662-43B9C3812810.jpeg
    373AF507-B13C-48D8-9662-43B9C3812810.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 1A44DC24-48EC-4977-A556-91486934ABE5.jpeg
    1A44DC24-48EC-4977-A556-91486934ABE5.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 60DEFC4F-AB32-4B39-A037-51ADA6B39826.jpeg
    60DEFC4F-AB32-4B39-A037-51ADA6B39826.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 940A9862-F8DE-4749-95C6-EED53A4106DD.jpeg
    940A9862-F8DE-4749-95C6-EED53A4106DD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • AB3F4A14-A375-4CC0-A82B-0FF3B3814529.jpeg
    AB3F4A14-A375-4CC0-A82B-0FF3B3814529.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Went through all the colonies. Absolutely wall to wall brood in even the black ones. Three supers on some.
Not a sign of any queen cells so imm lost for adding room ( 14x12)
So I sorted the super frames out to leave empty ones in the bottom and took all the QXs off.
Split one and requeened.

Went over to our association Apiary with other students from the course. .Assigned 2 hives with a mentor to look after during the season so I can see how they develop .Removed the bottom over wintered super after checking the brood box for brood and to try and locate the Queen .Bees a little agitated so applied some smoke .There was evidence of brood being laid but not masses .Asked the Apiary manager if this is what he expected and he confirmed it was on these 2 hives .Did not see the Queens in these 2 hives on this occasion .Cleared the btm floor of dead bees from winter and checked for any disease, removed remains of fondant ,90% was consumed .Reassembled with brood box on floor with Queen excluder and super on top with cover board and roof ,filled in notes on hive inspection .Weather was okay, warm and slightly sunny .Was a great afternoon to see the Apiary and put into practice what we had learnt from our night course ,there was a selection of hives ,some poly ,top bar hive and the majority were national. Already looking forward to next weekend ,weather permitting .
John.

Inspected all my colonies, 1 at home and 1 at my out apiary with qcups with eggs in, but not "properly" charged so I've just torn them down this time and moved the outside frames, which were largely empty, towards the centre so the queen can find more laying space. I'll have a nuc at the ready next inspection though as I suspect they're in swarm mode now. These are the grumpiest in each apiary - not ones I wanted to be taking splits from.
I might select a swarm cell, pinch the queen, go back in a few days and tear down all remaining swarm+emergency cells. If the daughter fails to mate or is no better then buy in a queen.

In the other 3 colonies there were plenty of play cups but all empty.

In my biggest hive (3 supers on already and very calm) they're starting to cap super frames. Early buckfast from BMH last April and an absolute champ.
IMG_20230422_145753 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230416_121701 - Copy.jpg

There was evidence of brood being laid but not masses .Asked the Apiary manager if this is what he expected and he confirmed it was on these 2 hives .
Did he explain why? All my bees, including the black ones are wall to wall

Continued adding qe, boxes, foundations, but flow is .. low. Bees attacking frames, not enough available forage.. Saw today one bee with cordyceps, I put her in a cage to examine it later.. But in meantime during other operations accidentally it got released.. so nothing of examining.. I am thinking next time to examine as dead sample, no escaping..

Busy afternoon checking all the colonies. Rain held off long enough to get the jobs done properly.
Added second supers to a couple, and additional foundation to most brood boxes. All bar one are on double brood with approx 12-15 frames of bias. A few play cups, but nothing to panic about currently. Spare nucs are poised ready in case of any shinanigans. Lots of festooning happening and some lovely red ?Horse Chestnut pollen being stashed. A lovely fresh scent of nectar in the air too.

Latest posts

Back