What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorting out nucs today, I found water on the shelves despite stacks fitting properly together and roofs still in place. One feeder was full of water, that was a surprise, again, the roof was still on and no holes.
First time I've seen this and still wondering how it happened.

Shook out two hives today, not a pleasant experience but had to be done. Checked thoroughly but evident we had laying workers, packed with drones and multiple eggs in individual cells. Down to two hives which is OK as the other two were problematic from day one. Have left a nuc box at a neighbours house but not bothered really if we don't get a swarm. Just hoping the other two hives behave themselves🤞
🐝 🐝

Watched all of the colonies on the dandelions even in a brisk wind.
Stan’s in charge while I’m in Berlin next week. Weather is set fair so expect some explosions.

pls show me your well documented scientific reports that you refer to

Clearly I am aware that one hive is not nearly sufficient for any conclusion but on the other hand we used 9 hives in 2020/21 with 30-50 % heather. So, pls show me your own studies or results and then we can discuss,
Dods………Murray has probably more year’s experience than he’d like!….plus THOUSANDS of hives. To top it off he’s the countries largest HEATHER honey producer.
You may have a theory……he on the other hand has a decent business and a straight talking reputation based on bees and HEATHER production.
Your total of 10 hives probably wouldn’t be 0.3% of what he puts on Heather sites every year😂
Good luck!!!

1F0B9E97-2A2D-4E1D-B5C9-225B4D4F1D49.jpeg
Just returning from 4 days in Belfast celebrating a friends birthday. Got my bee fix when we found these hives on top of the Victoria shopping centre. There’s a lovely big green roof above with masses of dandelions.

View attachment 35824
Just returning from 4 days in Belfast celebrating a friends birthday. Got my bee fix when we found these hives on top of the Victoria shopping centre. There’s a lovely big green roof above with masses of dandelions.
Are the hives being attacked by giant hornets!

Transferred three colonies into their new hives and strapped them up ready for collection tomorrow, queens are laying well and one has to go as a double. I've advised to get a super or two on straight away with the forecast next week.
Wagon wheel pollen loads coming in, Willow, Dandelion, Gorse and a creamy colour I'm not sure of. Fresh nectar in the cells and the smell of the colonies made for a very nice time.

First inspection in the home apiary today. Bit of a mixed bag. Most doing ok, but there was one a little weak and one with loads of drone comb, both looking ok otherwise so I'll leave them to it for now.

Sadly one colony that struggled last year and didn't produce a crop in the Autumn was absolutely textbook laying worker. They went into the hedge and I removed the hive and stand. Half an hour later the entrances of the adjacent hives were looking unusually busy and when I checked just now there was no evidence they'd ever existed. No idea if that's how it is supposed to go I have to admit, but one way or another I guess it's dealt with.

My wife has made me a pair of gauntlets from the sleeves of an old smock that the mice found in the bee shed some years back. They're wonderful. Suits that fit my shoulders are always too large around the wrists and knowing that I can work without having to worry about bees crawling up my wrists is so reassuring.

James

Moved two new 14x12 nucs into their hives using a pair of eke's.

Despite having seen pictures of 14X12 alongside regular brood frames, I didnt quite appreciate the increase in area until it came to handling them!

Once they've drawn out the new frames I'll try and switch over to regular brood.

Busy afternoon as things are ramping up so quickly. Put a second super on and some foundation in a dummied down double brood. A slower hive got its first super as they are backfilling despite the average weather last week. The third garden hive needs expanding this week. Looking after another hive for an elderly person nearby. Marked the queen there and expanded them to double brood. Forage is great and plenty of sunshine forecast so fun times ahead.

Went away to tenby for weekend aiming to inspect today, glorious weather yesterday cold and drizzly today, typical!

First swarm of the year today and of course I wasn't at home...

18c in the sun today so I had a few swarm traps tactically placed just in case....

But they swarmed on a tree.... Luckily my father winged it and got them into a NUC!

The fun begins.

First swarm and to fit into a nuc.. too small swarm, is queen there?
Haven't seen anything but it's a double maisemore NUC so plenty big... unfortunately I'm away for the night so missing all the action. I'll have to report back when I see what's going on.

Latest posts

Back