What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a lovely strong nuc of bees from one of the BKA members. It’s rammed to the gills so will be going into a nice new hive once this rain stops and light syrup added.
One question though….. is it considered unlucky in beek circles to rename the queen if she already has a name?

Had to feed the observation hive today...stores used up and no nectar coming in!! A good barometer for the rest of the colonies.

Attachments

• 20210809_123906.jpg
    20210809_123906.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Delight and panic
Inspection day today weather was great. Bees lovely and calm until we started to take the supers off to inspect the btoodbox, of course there is nectar and some capped honey and a much as we tried to cover the boxes god the bees were everywhere. We were so excited to be able to take seven frames off for extraction, that's a total of 16 so far. Initially I thought we'd get 5 jars this year and I would have been delighted with that, but the fact we are up to 40 jars plus 7 frames which we have extracted and leaving to settle until tomorrow I am over the moon. Another learning experience will be to manage the robbing while we are inspecting. Any advice on this gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20210809_154414.jpg
    20210809_154414.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Delight and panic
Inspection day today weather was great. Bees lovely and calm until we started to take the supers off to inspect the btoodbox, of course there is nectar and some capped honey and a much as we tried to cover the boxes god the bees were everywhere. We were so excited to be able to take seven frames off for extraction, that's a total of 16 so far. Initially I thought we'd get 5 jars this year and I would have been delighted with that, but the fact we are up to 40 jars plus 7 frames which we have extracted and leaving to settle until tomorrow I am over the moon. Another learning experience will be to manage the robbing while we are inspecting. Any advice on this gratefully received.
Do you have spare crown boards try using them under and above which would keep the bees out or at least keep them to a minimum.

Do you have spare crown boards try using them under and above which would keep the bees out or at least keep them to a minimum.
No we only have the four for our hives but we are going to make sure we have spare before the next inspection. Do you think it would be better if we didn't Inspect all four at the same time?

Delight and panic
I clear supers without checking every frame, sort at home and return unusable frames the next day.
So the only thing I’m doing is lifting a supers putting a clearer board on and putting supers straight back on before bees know what I’ve done

No we only have the four for our hives but we are going to make sure we have spare before the next inspection. Do you think it would be better if we didn't Inspect all four at the same time?
I don't think that would make much difference, if all four are active then they can be attracted to the smell of the honey, you could use some plywood cut down to size or even a hive cloth or two. To help if you have none if your wanting to take frames to process use clearer boards as dani suggested.

I think your talking about doing inspections though?

I don't think that would make much difference, if all four are active then they can be attracted to the smell of the honey, you could use some plywood cut down to size or even a hive cloth or two. To help if you have none if your wanting to take frames to process use clearer boards as dani suggested.

I think your talking about doing inspections though?
That answered my question perfectly, thank you

Extracted all honey last weekend; best ever year despite no OSR. Visited out apiary this pm to check ex-DLQ nuc, where I took out all drone cells and introduced Q cell from elsewhere (couldn't find DLQ queen but no fresh eggs so i thought safe to try) now has eggs, so fingers crossed. Elsewhere mayhem. As I left car heard the bees and thought swarm, but no - robbing. They had found way into a weak hive, which is alas no more, so dismantled and took away. Reduced entrances on remaining hives jut in case.

Extracted all honey last weekend; best ever year despite no OSR. Visited out apiary this pm to check ex-DLQ nuc, where I took out all drone cells and introduced Q cell from elsewhere (couldn't find DLQ queen but no fresh eggs so i thought safe to try) now has eggs, so fingers crossed. Elsewhere mayhem. As I left car heard the bees and thought swarm, but no - robbing. They had found way into a weak hive, which is alas no more, so dismantled and took away. Reduced entrances on remaining hives jut in case.
I tryed some thing the other day I had a drone laying queen, I introduced a well mated queen who had been laying in a hair curler cage with attendants the following day the DLQ was out side dead they had stopped feeding her and removed her then the mated queen was released this was a test on my part because I couldn't find the DLQ but it worked, luck maybe?
Or a strong queen with good pheromones which they preferred?

I had to put a 6 frame nuc into a full hive today so when I had transferred the frames I went back to the van to get the 5 drawn combs from the pile of brood boxes and supers I extracted yesterday.
I sorted the hive and returned to the van to find it occupied with thousands of bees from the eight hives at that apiary robbing the wet combs!
I really must remember to shut the doors next time!
The journey home was interrupted every 1/2 mile to let a few hundred bees out of the back doors.

I tryed some thing the other day I had a drone laying queen, I introduced a well mated queen who had been laying in a hair curler cage with attendants the following day the DLQ was out side dead they had stopped feeding her and removed her then the mated queen was released this was a test on my part because I couldn't find the DLQ but it worked, luck maybe?
Or a strong queen with good pheromones which they preferred?
Could I politely suggest any beginners reading this not try this unless like Curly they have 60 other hives to fall back on.

First day without rain (so far) for about a week
Went through all production hives taking off supers. (extracted last week).
Fed all nucs.
Fed all mating nucs.
About to make a requeening plan.
Was interrupted by lunch - manged to leave a super stack slightly adjar, robbing frenzy this pm. Sorted by lots of smoke and gaffer tapeing any crack. Will release trapped bees this evening.

About to treat for varroa.
Ongoing bottling as honey is sold at door.
Stung by wasps yesterday : unlike bee stings it itches like mad. But as a man (!!!!) I bravely bear the pain without complaint. I find intravenous alcohol helps.:cool:

Back