What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collected a swarm, which then tried to abscond. Saw the queen caged and placed in between frames. I’ll release her tomorrow and add a frame of brood.
FA753D63-BC5A-4B78-8F2B-4ED212919DE3.jpeg

Put clearer boards on two hives ready for extraction tomorrow. 8 supers but reckon we'll get 4 of honey across all of them. Lots of drawn comb for next spring though. Checked the 3rd hive who had a virgin a couple of weeks ago and she's now a lovely laying fat queen. Fantastic!

Took 4 supers off one hive and 2 off another. 25.6kg of honey from the 4 super hive. We ran out of time and enthusiasm to extract the other hive today. Discovered it’s best not to put a foundationless frame between foundation on 10 frame castellations. They’re messy bees at the best of time but really went to town on this one.

Attachments

• 09F17E80-3128-42F3-9802-C2EE8B46C749.jpeg
    09F17E80-3128-42F3-9802-C2EE8B46C749.jpeg
    775.2 KB
Just looking at entrances, all colonies busy, bringing in lots of pollen and a very strong heather scent in the air 🙂

Rhombus clearer boards on, then started to rain. not as bad a harvest as I feared, but still below average. Looks like they have been eating some of it.

Helped extract Association Apiary Honey Saturday: supers off by 10.00am,extracted and filtered by 3.00pm, supers back on to be cleaned by bees by 9pm. Aprox 200-250lbs honey.

Fed all nucs Monday with fondant 13C. Not warm and forecast like this all week.
My requeened horrible hive is now peaceful.
HB pollen coming in but few bees flying in strong wind.

One nuc needs to be requeened as Q not properly mated.. My hands not flexible enough in the cold wind so will do when/if it warms up. Various mini nucs are Q- due to requeening elsewhere/Q lost/wasps... .Due to be shaken out.

So started treating two apiarys after removing supers and condensing the hives there a week ago, 26 colonys started and done two more apiary to go then hopefully I can start the Heather hives when I bring them back home at some point.
Hived up 4 double nucs into single brood just over a week ago ( early July mated queen's) they are strong colonys so added a super for space I wish I'd of taken them to the Heather something I will do next year... Infact any mated queen's between the 20th of June and July 20 will be going to Heather next year, the double nuc configuration works well if hived up in time and are strong enough.
What else..... Going to be extracting from this monster again and the other colonys in apiary 1 and 2.IMG_20210813_115751.jpg
Photo taken on friday last week.. The most I've ever extracted from one colony which will be well over 200lbs might be more as I've had 160lb from it already and the supers are getting filled and capped.
Brood rearing from this queen hasn't stopped and most inspections I have seen wall to wall capped brood.

I decided I had to do something with my "hive from hell" that inflicted about 30 stings on Monday so yesterday a took the hive away about 15m and put a new hive with drawn comb and one frame of eggs in its place.
The flyers obviously returned to the new hive and I was hoping that they would produce a new queen from these eggs donated by a nice calm hive. ( I was hoping to then remove the old queen and reunite at a later date.)
When I inspected this evening the old, moved hive were sweetness and light and hardly moved off the comb.
The new hive full of flyers were still extremely feisty but not as bad as before but there was no sign of any attempt to make a new queen.
I know there are no young bees in this hive but I have used this trick when doing a cut out with 100% success.
Anyone have a theory as to why they would make no attempt to make a queen?

Might need to move post to your own threes to get better answers,
Bees Need time to know they are queen less I think they will need some house/nurse bees to look after the brood etc..
We’re there any nurse bees on diner frame?

Had a check how the supers are looking, I removed the fully capped ones last week and left the rest to be finished. Top supers are roughly 50% capped now so will probably clear them all in one go over bank holiday weekend.
Checked the last two queens are looking good for numbers, both are strong and the new floors seem to be a hit.
Tried to work out how I'm going to move the double brood on top of an earlier Demarree, I've got no space next to the stack so it looks like she is going to lose the foragers but I may have a plan. They have to move soon anyway so I can get the supers off below them, still have a lot of deep boxes to take off as well before treatment starts.
Already matched 2018, I never thought that would happen.

Inspection day, took off another 6 capped frames, very excited. Extracted and returned the spun frames for them to clean. More organised this week as we covered the supers top and bottom as we removed them to inspect the supers and broodbox below. Going to get them ready for varroa treatment next week. Had one hive a brood and a half which we put the half under the broodbox last week hoping that it'll clear ready to remove for the winter, was this the right thing to do? Saw all four Queens, looking amazing with a lot of eggs,larvae and brood. All lovely and calm 👏

Might need to move post to your own threes to get better answers,
Bees Need time to know they are queen less I think they will need some house/nurse bees to look after the brood etc..
We’re there any nurse bees on diner frame?
They have now set up some cells and I’m in tomorrow to cut them down to one.

Getting there with problem queenless hive. c350 mites dropped from oxalic acid dribble couple of days ago. Removed queen pheromone strip, checked all frames as no queen (removed test comb with queen cells a week agi) or brood, no laying workers.

Found & marked mated queen in Nuc next door. She’s eluded me over the last week, now on 4 frames brood and about 5 frames bees. Put her under a quintex push-in cage on the comb with brood and nurse bees and nectar (can see her white dot at 8 o’clock)

Will unite later this evening over newspaper, belt and braces with the cage as well but recipient queenless colony is mainly foragers and killed last attempted introduction (newspaper alone). Will check behaviour once through the newspaper then put fondant into the side entrance of the cage and let them release her if they’re behaving calmly. Have found large push in cage works well for difficult introductions - big surface area to help spread the pheromone around

Attachments

• 2DDE65ED-737D-40DC-AE26-77C7EC4CB9B6.jpeg
    2DDE65ED-737D-40DC-AE26-77C7EC4CB9B6.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • 5AFEC020-2B1D-481E-A4C4-847716038141.jpeg
    5AFEC020-2B1D-481E-A4C4-847716038141.jpeg
    2.8 MB
My hive which has been queenless since end of June, now has a VQ from a frame of eggs introduced end of July not worthy
Fingers crossed she mates successfully and starts laying those winter bees…..
The other two small hives had a thin syrup top up. One is only on 3 frames of brood so need to keep an eye on them to make sure they build up enough for winter.
All bees very calm and still no sign of wasps….

Managed to get a surprise couple of hours this afternoon so checked 8 colonies and 4 nucs across two sites. Nucs doing well, the colonies a mixed bag with one having entirely disappeared... Not really sure why they absconded but they had an UFE and there haven't been many wasps about so that seems unlikely. They had only been requeened a month ago with a lovely queen given to me by a friend in Yorkshire. However, I have a wonderful queen from a swarm this year (marked blue) plus the queen from my best colony is still doing well, bred her this year and one of the few who mated successfully in the poor spring- she was a bit quick this afternoon though.

Also started packing fondant into takeaway tubs in preparation for winter and thinking about varroa treatments.

Attachments

• 20210819_141542.jpg
    20210819_141542.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • 20210819_152647.jpg
    20210819_152647.jpg
    944.9 KB
Did the rounds this afternoon and took off what I suspect will be the last honey. One hive in particular at the farm is still going strong and finding good nectar so just a chance of a little more . Reduced all the others and - This is the bloomer of the year - in preparation for vaping. got everything ready and then realised I had forgotten not only the battery for the pan heater but also the approved OA so couldn't even go to plan B and use the gas vap - well what a plonker!!:mad:

Latest posts

Back