What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far today dealt with three queenless nucs by adding capped qcs on day 12, I hope they will be OK.

Uniting a few single brood later with air freshener.
Mistified by one of my virgin queen's in a mini nuc she still looks like a virgin and time is getting on this is week three,
What are your thoughts? Should I give her more time or replace here with a virgin in a weeks time?
She has been tooting a hell of a lot?

Looked at the two potting shed colonies. Both doing well.

My orange bees never fill a frame like this
2973492C-C474-470D-9AA8-97906198A55E.jpeg

Attachments

• 80959FBD-E1E1-4457-A4BB-28EF0BD0DCBC.jpeg
    80959FBD-E1E1-4457-A4BB-28EF0BD0DCBC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • BF2872AF-3E2D-4CB8-819E-0458D2926D11.jpeg
    BF2872AF-3E2D-4CB8-819E-0458D2926D11.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Still bringing in the supers. First call this morning was the castle apiary - the joys of having bees on a rare breeds farm is you never know who you're sharing a field with.
Today it was two curious young longhorn bulls!!

fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Nothing, I’m grounded, my Land Rover had it’s first MOT failure, not bad for a 17 year old, should be back on the road in a day or two though and plenty on indoor beekeeping things to get on with

I decided I had to do something with my "hive from hell" that inflicted about 30 stings on Monday so yesterday a took the hive away about 15m and put a new hive with drawn comb and one frame of eggs in its place.
The flyers obviously returned to the new hive and I was hoping that they would produce a new queen from these eggs donated by a nice calm hive. ( I was hoping to then remove the old queen and reunite at a later date.)
When I inspected this evening the old, moved hive were sweetness and light and hardly moved off the comb.
The new hive full of flyers were still extremely feisty but not as bad as before but there was no sign of any attempt to make a new queen.
I know there are no young bees in this hive but I have used this trick when doing a cut out with 100% success.
Anyone have a theory as to why they would make no attempt to make a queen?

Googled ‘how to make a honey warmer’ after seeing the price of them on Thorne’s website!
Not sure about the whole old fridge thing and I’ve got wood and celotex so will have a bash at making one (think The Apiarist had some good plans).

I decided I had to do something with my "hive from hell" that inflicted about 30 stings on Monday so yesterday a took the hive away about 15m and put a new hive with drawn comb and one frame of eggs in its place.
The flyers obviously returned to the new hive and I was hoping that they would produce a new queen from these eggs donated by a nice calm hive. ( I was hoping to then remove the old queen and reunite at a later date.)

I know there are no young bees in this hive but I have used this trick when doing a cut out with 100% success.
Anyone have a theory as to why they would make no attempt to make a queen?
Would you expect to see evidence of trying to make a new queen in only 24 hrs?

Would you expect to see evidence of trying to make a new queen in only 24 hrs?
I would in a queen rearing situation but maybe they need more time in this situation. I moved them to a more remote situation last night and will reinspect next week.

Googled ‘how to make a honey warmer’ after seeing the price of them on Thorne’s website!
Not sure about the whole old fridge thing and I’ve got wood and celotex so will have a bash at making one (think The Apiarist had some good plans).
Yes, I don’t happen to have an old fridge either, so may go this route, or may not and just keep jarring the honey.

Watched this little girl for ages:love:

Attachments

• 20210806_155842.jpg
    20210806_155842.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back