What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another two tries grafting: last had 60% success..Whoopee.

Two mini nucs absconded in the heat 31C - one tried to enter neighbour's chimney. Switching on the gas fire dissuaded them..

Rehoused larger in dummied down nuc. No idea of where smaller one went (Rainbow hive).

Flow from sweet chestnut - will have to check for space largest hive with 5 supers later today .

Raining now

Just placed my order with Maisies too. I hope the delivery backlog isn't too long - I'm clean out of supers.

If the worse comes to worst.
Go through each stack of supers .
Put all sealed frames in one super ( also the frames of partly sealed that pass the shake test .
Extract and replace Yes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If the worse comes to worst.
Go through each stack of supers .
Put all sealed frames in one super ( also the frames of partly sealed that pass the shake test .
Extract and replace Yes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes - did that yesterday so they have a bit of room. Will do the other half of the apiary today - another bottleneck is clearer boards!

Yes - did that yesterday so they have a bit of room. Will do the other half of the apiary today - another bottleneck is clearer boards!

It’s all go lol!
Keeps us in our toes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mainly looking at the maisemore sale and trying to decide if i should try a couple of double brood box next season or 14 x 12 (for compatibility / ease of splitting i am currently erring on double BB ). Then the internal debate of how many hives do i need next year and it is worth buys some now... Already at £200 and only have frames and supers mainly haha.

Im trying the double brood vs 14x12 experiment this year, I can see the versatility of the double brood but for ease of use the 14x12 seems better; nightmare trying to find a faded marked queen in 22 frames.

The bees I currently have dont seem to benefit from the extra space a double brood offers however I recieved a couple more queens from BHP today which I'm going to set up for double brooding next year.

I subcame to the Maisimore sale as well, actually the first wooden hives I've bought so that's another experiment.

Another two tries grafting: last had 60% success..Whoopee.

You are doing better than me - 55% earlier this week. Next week will be better I keep telling myself! Practise makes perfect they say!

Did some weeding and watched each hive at the entrances.
A swarm captured in May appears to have a high percentage of black bees foraging. The swarm was from one of my hives of mongrels.
Interesting this lark....

Splitting hives and queen introductions today, thought I was finished for the day until a phone call this evening from my landlord, a swarm of ginger bees in his apple tree.
When I got there he had most of them in a nuc but still another cluster on the trunk. The nuc is now lashed below a small cluster, interest in the entrance so maybe they will, maybe they won't.
Lots of swarms around here this past few days.

Put more supers on at the new 25mile away apiary... filling fast but not capping it much as yet... looks to be a worthwhile site forage wise!

Chons da

Are you running out of supers too????.... Natives flat out... yellowie stripies don't seem quite so keen!!!

Chons da

I'm down to three. I have one with six supers on, four were stuffed with bees and honey and I removed the top box of this Demarree and the bees. One super wasn't enough so gave them two.
Landlord is out of super frames so a few deep supers dotted around.
Time to brush off the extractor.

I'm down to three. I have one with six supers on, four were stuffed with bees and honey and I removed the top box of this Demarree and the bees. One super wasn't enough so gave them two.

We are having to put the spare OSB Rose boxes on... will need a few Mars bars to lift and carry them away once filled!!

Better than last year?

Chons da

Checked two hives at an out aipery. Have one a new virgin queen, second I added more supers and took off 2 brood frames full of honey to give them more room. Just finished spinning off the frames.

Dull mizzly day with the threat of thunder, but the work had to be done especially as yesterday it seemed that every hive I opened had gone from worryingly large amount of space six days ago to honey dripping out everywhere and two supers being chucked on.
First job was to hive two nucs at my cousin's farm both had gone from 'Oh good, Queen mated' to five frames of brood in the blink of an eye.
Next - Garn Cottage, all hives needing supers and the one with a new queen introduced two weeks ago had loads of eggs and larvae, filled a super and was begging for another. Considering the weather was so bad that hardly any bees were flying (in fact I was able to close up a nuc for moving as no bees were out) they were pretty well behaved.

All supers deployed save for 6 needing frames so they will be ready tomorrow. All hives minimum of three supers each. Will need to extract later next week.

Only two supers left.

Latest posts

Back