What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the whole day protecting ten trees in the apiary as best l can, from being barked by my six sheep. Never had sheep do this before. Also had to protect poly hive with hurdles as they had started on that too. Perhaps sheep and bees don't mix!

I think it is Shropshire sheep that don't eat tree bark, I seem to recall they get used in plantations. But I guess they will still want to use a hive as a rubbing post and give your poly a nibble.

did a quick vape with the JT gas vape yesterday (additional treatment to the apivar in the autumn)

went through the entrances and used a white lining glove to protect the paynes poly landing board

had planned to go from top down using an eke in the summer ....but didnt really want to take the clear crownboard off and disturb them now it comes to it !

Went for a ride to local garden centre... they had packets of bulbs for sale at 50p a packet bought a tenner worth and saved a fortune.... now to get them in pots and plant in garden after flowering....

Nothing - but bumped into Protheroe doing the rounds of his apiaries (he has some hives just below the old chapel and I happened to be up there tidying up), chewed the fat for a while and he demonstrated his home made own design gas powered vaping machine - well impressed, no faff and robust with no hopes of exploding in your hand. Don't think the sheep were too impressed with the clouds of sublimate though :D

Not considering a vape. Apivar in the Autumn, sticky boards just in. May dribble in oxalic acid if computer say thereafter. However, pollen still being taken in on Christmas Eve.
Still crafting supers, ekes, Hamilton converter (nothing about this in his book, by the way so used Cushman plan)

I think it is Shropshire sheep that don't eat tree bark, I seem to recall they get used in plantations. But I guess they will still want to use a hive as a rubbing post and give your poly a nibble.
Must look up Shropshires then, mine are Jacobs and they seem to act more like goats!

Nothing - but bumped into Protheroe doing the rounds of his apiaries (he has some hives just below the old chapel and I happened to be up there tidying up), chewed the fat for a while and he demonstrated his home made own design gas powered vaping machine - well impressed, no faff and robust with no hopes of exploding in your hand. Don't think the sheep were too impressed with the clouds of sublimate though :D
Yes the sheep soon moved away.good to see you emyr,its been a while.

Not a lot! Hefted hives and all as should be. Squinted at one hive through clear crown board. A few antennae waving upwards so no worries there. Mahonia in full bloom but no apian interest. Looking forward to an early spring.

Dug up a clump of rhubarb near the hive. Bees not impressed! A few brave ones decided to investigate further. Glad I had my bee suit on.

Checked fondant on six and all is good again..i also give them the last vape that they will be getting until Autumn..the last hive i vaped i thought i would take the roof of and look through the clear crown board to see what was going on..the bees where as calm as you like and i got a pleasant surprise when i spotted the 2019 Queen i marked white on the top bars which quickly made a sharp exit into a seem of bees.. she looked rather slim so not sure if she has started laying again..

Dug up a clump of rhubarb near the hive. Bees not impressed! A few brave ones decided to investigate further. Glad I had my bee suit on.

I'm not surprised; you just destroyed their front line varrora defences. :smash:

On a somewhat related note - where did Cheers go?

I'm not surprised; you just destroyed their front line varrora defences. :smash:

On a somewhat related note - where did Cheers go?
I’ve left the clump at the front of the hive as another keeper suggested it was good for varroa control. It also hides the entrance from the wasps. I had to remove the clump at the back of the hive as it making lifting the supers off a challenge.

Checked the colonies for fondant. All OK. Lots of flying, returning with swollen abdomens, so I assume that is water collection, but I was pleased to see a little pollen going in. Pollen a little bit late this season, but then majority of winter bees emerging late October. All is well me thinks.

This year we are a bit lazy, still didn't got sugar for fondants.
Around are screaming bees eaten all the stores, dying.. But I don't pay a zilch on that.. I am more concerned about wine menu which we will have during fondant making..
Maybe other reason is honey prices got to the rock bottom, not to mention the bees also.. So, enthusiasm is a bit above ankles high.. We are chilling into new season..
So far one colony off.. seems won't be much more..
Pile of frames wait to assemble also, not to mention repairing boxes, preparing the rest of a kits, etc.. Somehow it won't make by itself.. ehh..
At the apiary, dry and minus (-2 to -7C) at night. But when sun appear bees rush to hazels.. Expecting cornel soon..
Beside that I revisited eures site, curiosity..

Last edited:
Checked 30 hives to assess. Most looking very full of bees and nearly filling their boxes, although most had plenty of stores I will have to keep an eye on them.
Testing some Carnies this year that are located close fields used to grow OSR and very pleased with how they are looking and should get a good early crop and then use excess bees to populate nucs.....well that’s the plan but am sure it will need amending.
Noticed hazel catkins nearly ready to burst at one site, seems very early but we haven’t had any cold weather (yet) and I am sure if and when it comes this will retard flowering.
S

Some hazel, snowdrops and butterbur out in the neighbourhood.

Latest posts

Back