What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspected the hives today, the two AMM hives both had capped queen cells. Made up some splits using open and closed cells in BS honey nucs, see if it works.

Meanwhile the super Buckfast colony got its 4th super. They've made as much honey in 5 weeks as the biggest AMM colony I had in the entirety of last season (first rate swarm cell producers however). Beginning to get concerned about the hive stand and may prop it up just in case...

The other 2 Buckfast colonies I had pleasantly surprised me, last time I looked I thought they weren't going to amount to anything but lots of capped brood today which looks promising but they will miss the spring flow.

Marked and clipped the first two queens to start laying from the 3 splits I made on 30/04 will reserve judgement on the 3rd one for now

I got stung the other day putting clearers on a queenless colony on the inside of the wrist just above the nitriles I use. It’s a sensitive spot isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Very much so . On the fingers is fine . On the meaty bit of the arm it bloody hurts . Sweating buckets inside the gloves doesn't help .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Extracted the final super with rape in it. Another 17lb takes the total for the spring crop to 87lb from 2 hives in production. The other hive is still drawing frames and I bled some bees off into nucs. Happy with the harvest so far as last years “bumper” honey year passed me by a little and I don’t know why. It was even as if I was losing honey to swarms as I didn’t generate any.
The girls keep me guessing.

]]

Try these ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-W...hash=item4d7d2fdf49:m:msYOw9VOfqw-v6Sp-JjAnUw

My suit's wrist elastic is getting a bit loose and these sort the problem of bees crawling up my sleeve ...

Do the bees not dislike the fleecy material?

Just buy a pair of gauntlets - most suppliers make them, I got mine from sherriff as the material is extra thick. Elastic fits snugly around the wrist and also gives extra protection to the forearms. They will last for years

https://www.bjsherriff.co.uk/product/gauntlets/

And the leather retains propolis and alarm pheromones. I got a pair free with my suit. Never use them.

And the leather retains propolis and alarm pheromones. I got a pair free with my suit. Never use them.

Gauntlets man not gloves - they go from the elbow to the wrist, they fit over whatever glove you chose to wear
I only keep a pair of leather gloves handy for cutting and removing brambles

Gauntlets man not gloves - they go from the elbow to the wrist, they fit over whatever glove you chose to wear

I only keep a pair of leather gloves handy for cutting and removing brambles

My apologies, I looked at the photo in the link of a model wearing “leather gloves”. How silly of me to misinterpret what you were trying to say.

In common English (no disrespect to the Welsh intended), a gauntlet is a glove with protection of the lower arm.

Here’s a link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(glove)

In common English (no disrespect to the Welsh intended), a gauntlet is a glove with protection of the lower arm.
Maybe if you had read the description not just been silly enough to jump to a conclusion after looking at the picture
Made from premium quality polyester cotton our NoSting™ gauntlets offer extra protection around the wrist and forearm. Elasticated at both openings.
although if you looked properly you would have seen that the gauntlet was distinctly separate from the glove
And in common beekeeping parlance a Gauntlet is a covering beween wrist and elbow
Also if you read a full definition in the dictionary it is also described as 'a covering for the wrist'

Maybe if you had read the description not just been silly enough to jump to a conclusion after looking at the picture

although if you looked properly you would have seen that the gauntlet was distinctly separate from the glove
And in common beekeeping parlance a Gauntlet is a covering beween wrist and elbow
Also if you read a full definition in the dictionary it is also described as 'a covering for the wrist'

:iagree:
A bit like leg warmers from the 1980s in the drama Fame they are not socks.
Gauntlets and ebay item 152312852116 for me, sometimes I forget the gauntlets but the gloves fit securely over the bee suit sleeves.

There really is no point to this forum is there? We should all just let you spout forth and listen and take it as gospel.

All I did was point out that leather gloves cause more stings and thought you were showing the full gauntlets not “wrist warmers”. A gauntlet includes the hand covering, it differs by having lower arm protection. I acknowledged that this differs in beekeeping gauntlets and you still persist in hammering your “but you are wrong tripe”.
I wonder if you are so self righteous and unpleasant in real life. Maybe that is why you spend so much time attacking people on here.

Now I am off to find the block button. I should have done it years ago.

Now I am off to find the block button. I should have done it years ago.

Fill your boots - it's a pity we didn't have a proper block button which worked both ways - one less pompout 2@ I'd have to listen to.
Look back on this thread it is obvious that it was you who clambered on to his high horse in false indignation.

Back