What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case stop making definitive statements about your queens lasting for 3-4 years when some obviously don't.

That's the beauty of beekeeping, you can change the genetics to suit your beekeeping technique. Simple really!

It doesn't seem to working for you if your queens are only lasting a month before swarming again.
....:)

Set up three bait hives yesterday using frames of old black comb. Today was amazed to find dozens of scout bees visiting all of them (checked all my colonies and found no swarm cells so could be visiters from other colonies in the area).

Must be thunder brewing, tempers short today.

Been on the bees alot lately (and promised I'd build a trellis fence for swmbo) so thought I'd have an easy day and check two swarms I'd caught a week ago. Building up nicely with bias but forecast poorer for the next few days so treated them to a couple of litres of lollywater.

Set up three bait hives yesterday using frames of old black comb. Today was amazed to find dozens of scout bees visiting all of them (checked all my colonies and found no swarm cells so could be visiters from other colonies in the area).

I've had 6 out for a couple of weeks and not a sausage. Been out to collect swarms for other people nowhere near my own bees/bait hives though. If I employed cost/benefit analysis swarms wouldn't be worth it but I find it interesting and it solves a potential nuisance.

Only one F and two S’s.

FFS
Resorting to criticising a person's grammar is a sure sign of an argument lost

Yn enwedig os taw ei ail iaith yw'r saseneg
Nawr, ceriwaredygalar di y ffwrch aflan

Now put me on ignore like you promised you sad little individual

Don't you just love google translate...I couldn't resist it....
"Especially if the second language is the second language
Now, the cheeky furnace is untouched"

Found one hive still just with drone brood and learned that a rushed inspection becasue it starts raining is not going to go well, and that if you don't put a dummy board in but leave a gap the little darlings will brace comb it to the hive!!

Persuaded youngest son to help putting on clearer boards. After the last time he helped, he decided not to wear shorts.....:serenade: this time.........

Persuaded youngest son to help putting on clearer boards. After the last time he helped, he decided not to wear shorts.....:serenade: this time.........

Nice ONE! LOL

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Oh no it isn't!

Oh sorry I'm in the answering the post before the last one room ! ....

Did some gardening in the apiary from four o'clock with the bees still active, with no protection.
One bumped off my forehead and another off my face and then my chest, but none were aggressive and no stings.
Really pleased as they are all descendants from swarms last year and this.
Mongrels aren't always aggressive it seems.

Latest posts

Back