What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody windy here today, will check on them tomorrow but I think I might go fondant route with any that are still light. Very happy that I tied them all down last week : ) although I have pictures in my head of the stacks of empties blown all over the place!

Went and collected boards from under the hives. They were mostly still in place and varroa drop is low single figures. Everything safe and sound as the rain began hammering down again. Final vape due for tomorrow.

Went and collected boards from under the hives. They were mostly still in place and varroa drop is low single figures. Everything safe and sound as the rain began hammering down again. Final vape due for tomorrow.

Sounds like you don’t need to do one

Took the last feeder of the Blue Queen hive today before the heavens opened up, i also hefted them by hand, they felt heavy but i lifted them easy, the last weight with scales was over 100lb each last week and i lifted them the same so i am slowly getting the hang of hefting without scales.:rolleyes:

Took the last feeder of the Blue Queen hive today before the heavens opened up, i also hefted them by hand, they felt heavy but i lifted them easy, the last weight with scales was over 100lb each last week and i lifted them the same so i am slowly getting the hang of hefting without scales.:rolleyes:
Hefted 100lb !!! Wow you must be strong?

Millet is of good stock and in the past would probably carried 16 stone sacks of corn on his back at threshing time without complaint. :)
Lol i am not that old i was born in the beginning of the 70's however beeing a Scaffolder for the past 28yrs i have put quite a few ton of steel through my body, some days averaging 7 ton per day, it is good for the owld muscles and muscle memory but the joints sure do suffer.:rolleyes:

I see these new lads using elecy screwdriver to fasten fittings on the tubes not to long ago! Is this the new way of erecting scaffold?

I see these new lads using elecy screwdriver to fasten fittings on the tubes not to long ago! Is this the new way of erecting scaffold?

I have seen them and it does not suit me , riving and tearing with a good old spanner does me fine, them electric things are a tad quicker but no good for awkward jobs.. ;)

Lol i am not that old i was born in the beginning of the 70's however beeing a Scaffolder for the past 28yrs i have put quite a few ton of steel through my body, some days averaging 7 ton per day, it is good for the owld muscles and muscle memory but the joints sure do suffer.:rolleyes:

You'll be able to recall 50kg bags of cement when work was work and the current 25 kg sachets were introduced. :)

Made up more syrup.....if the wind and weather allows...a top up for them all where necessary. At least the bad weather drove the wasps away.
Next job is to make the sugar blocks to go on the hives...if they need them during the winter. They worked well last year. However, I must remember when we take them off to store in the house not in the Bee Shed.

topped up all feeders, and found a dead mouse stuck at the neck in a mouse guard(facing in) bees were ignoring him

You'll be able to recall 50kg bags of cement when work was work and the current 25 kg sachets were introduced. :)

Remember as a teenager working on the buildings offloading a lorry load of those for a big job - we were carrying them one on each shoulder into the stores - now I struggle to carry one of the 'new' 25kg ones any good distance :D
My grandfather would tell me tales as a fourteen year old back in the 1920's being sent down to the train station on horseback to get a load of winter feed and be expected to load two two hundredweight sacks of barley onto the horse himself for the journey back.

Remember as a teenager working on the buildings offloading a lorry load of those for a big job - we were carrying them one on each shoulder into the stores - now I struggle to carry one of the 'new' 25kg ones any good distance :D
My grandfather would tell me tales as a fourteen year old back in the 1920's being sent down to the train station on horseback to get a load of winter feed and be expected to load two two hundredweight sacks of barley onto the horse himself for the journey back.

No wonder there are so many knackered backs

Last round of vaping done. Mite drop has been relatively low throughout with only one colony hitting double figures. Most had drops of less than ten in a week and one particularly sweet colony of Ceredigion natives were back to zero. This colony has only dropped two mites in total, very pleased with that.
Just one feeder left to remove and that's about it :(
I hate this time of year.

Yesterday replaced some boxes, strimmed the grass.. Bees weren't pleased with it.. Today started the rain and temperature drop.

Attachments

• 20171021_174355_resized.jpg
    20171021_174355_resized.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 42

The good old days. Most modern youths wouldn't be capable even if they could be torn away from their electronic devices. :)
I know what you mean about the reduction of carrying ability with increase in years.🤤

Latest posts

Back