What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my "stale virgin" was mated after pondering whether I was actually seeing eggs in dark comb with the sun behind that damn cloud. She strolled across the comb with an egg hanging out her ****.

Sorted.

PH

Checked the Nuc again today that i checked on Saturday, she was not laying on Saturday and they where being robbed, the doner capped brood has emerged and they are defending the small entrance very very well and the frame of honey i gave them Saturday has kept them alive, the best thing though the new mated Queen is firing on all cylinders (brood and eggs) so they will make a brood box or two before winter arrives... Happy days after loads of stress these past couple of months.. :cheers2: all down to one good fellow member..;)

And here I am just recently informed what a "lesbian rule" is.

Colony re-arranging today, moving a few hives to get specific queens into a single location for future breeding. I'll wait until nearly dark and then move a few more hives.

My last hive is going to outer pastures from cottage yard. First I must kill swarming fever from the hive with AS. it takes 2 days. I have only 1-2 hives in one site on pastures.

My cottage is surrounded with blooming rape. But I want more yield plants and not only rape. Rape blooms 2-3 weeks. In outer pastures fireweed is showing colors.

I move hives in the morning about 8-10 a'clock.

Last edited:
My last hive is going to outer pastures from cottage yard. First I must kill swarming fever from the hive with AS. it takes 2 days. I have only 1-2 hives in one site on pastures.

Does that mean you are requeening 2 days after the AS?

Today I marked a queen myself for the first time. I've previously just left them unmarked but I'm trying to expand my skills a bit. This has been a multi-week process. First couple of weeks I tried to pick her up with my hands but found I was shaking too much. In the mean time I acquired a queen clip and marking tube. They helped no end. I managed to get the queen in the clip and she then walked over my hand before falling into the grass :eek:. I soon got her into the tube and marked. She appeared to be ok and soon hurried back into the box when given the chance.

I got two stings on the same finger for my troubles. I've now got a sausage finger that won't bend.

Checked the Nuc again today that i checked on Saturday, she was not laying on Saturday and they where being robbed, the doner capped brood has emerged and they are defending the small entrance very very well and the frame of honey i gave them Saturday has kept them alive, the best thing though the new mated Queen is firing on all cylinders (brood and eggs) so they will make a brood box or two before winter arrives... Happy days after loads of stress these past couple of months.. :cheers2: all down to one good fellow member..;)

It's great when things go well, good luck for a solid summer and autumn flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 days means that bees have drawn foundations half way. It tells that swarming fever is gone.

And then you put them all back together Finnie? I'm assuming they're this year's queens?

Very tempted to try this next year with a couple of hives. Vertical AS with the queen and flyers going into 3 shallows full of that plastic foundation they don't like to draw. What's the worst that can happen - loads of weird brace comb? They swarm a week later? :biggrinjester:

And then you put them all back together Finnie? I'm assuming they're this year's queens?

Very tempted to try this next year with a couple of hives. Vertical AS with the queen and flyers going into 3 shallows full of that plastic foundation they don't like to draw. What's the worst that can happen - loads of weird brace comb? They swarm a week later? :biggrinjester:

I use only horizontal AS. Vertical is a mess.

Normal AS. I do not know what is worst?..you do not have any foundations and somehow you cannot buy them? You do not have frames. No boxes. At least many my friends have such situation. Sometimes me too. We help each others.

You must take care that they do not swarm week later. Read the signs.

Last edited:
They swarm a week later? ::

My friend has 10 hives. Every hive has tried to swarm. I helped him and we stopped prime swarms with AS. Process has taken 3 weeks. Some late swarms came from brood parts because we did nothing to prevent it. Most of them were caught.

Hives have now full foraging power. Most does not have brood to be fed. Rape gives huge flow now, and everything is OK. We united hive parts at the beginning of flow.

I have made some AS.

I have made propably 400 foundation frames for AS to friend and to me.
Hives have new combs now for next year.

Last edited:
Did a paper combine of my Drone Laying Worker hive with a Q+ hive.
I know it's not the recommended way but I'm hoping that the Q+ hive will get a boost now the flows are starting.

I use only horizontal AS. Vertical is a mess.

Normal AS. I do not know what is worst?..you do not have any foundations and somehow you cannot buy them? You do not have frames. No boxes. At least many my friends have such situation. Sometimes me too. We help each others.

You must take care that they do not swarm week later. Read the signs.

Spare deeps and foundation aren't a problem. I'm thinking 3 shallows of plastic foundation as there's nothing better than a swarm for drawing comb. If it kills swarming fever I can then place the queen back in the original box and put shallows above that as supers.

I suspect they'll probably try to swarm again but we'll see.

Did a paper combine of my Drone Laying Worker hive with a Q+ hive.
I know it's not the recommended way but I'm hoping that the Q+ hive will get a boost now the flows are starting.

An update us as to whether the queen survived would be good :)

I'm passing my colonies on to another over the next year, and yesterday was her first inspection. Went very well, she spotted an unmarked queen immediately, something I'd failed to do on numerous occasions, which we then marked. All three colonies showing good laying and sufficient stores, if down on pollen and not a lot of extra honey for an eventual harvest. Two previously grumpy colonies very well behaved. Varroa boards put in.

Latest posts

Back